Basic Props

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Steven Zaretsky

Basic Props

Postby Steven Zaretsky » April 23rd, 2007, 9:53 am

I'm a magician returning to the world of performing. My question is: what are your top-ten, must have in your collection props? I'm thinking of general-use props. Here's my list (not in order of importance);

1) Sponge Balls
2) Change Bag
3) Several decks of regular playing cards
4) Svengali and or Wizard/Stripper decks
5) Multiple silk scarves
6) Dye Box (or tube)
7) Thumb tip
8) Devil's Handkerchief
9) Milk Pitcher
10) Mirror Glass

Any thoughts on my list? Any changes you would make?

Thanks,

Steven Zaretsky
Harmony, Florida
Steven Zaretsky
Harmony, Florida

Jeff Haas

Re: Basic Props

Postby Jeff Haas » April 23rd, 2007, 2:39 pm

Sounds like you're going to do children's or family performances. If that's the goal, then add some rope and maybe cups & balls. A copy of the Mark Wilson Course in Magic would be helpful, it's easily available in bookstores or Amazon.

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2007, 7:51 pm

Following is a brief list of items, in addition to the ones mentioned above, I make DAMNED SURE I have on my person before I ever leave my house:

1. I always appreciate the functionality of MAGICIANS' WAX...but, hey--who doesn't?
2. You can't go wrong with a little INVISIBLE THREAD and (or) a couple INVISIBLE ELASTIC THREAD LOOPS--seriously, you never know when you'll run into a hot babe with a plastic fork that you could animate-spookily...Am I wrong?
3. A Toppit: Let me tell you! Nothing makes you seem more like a "real-magician"! All KINDS of stuff can disappear FAST!; AND when times are lean, "shoppin' with a toppit" can literally be a magi's best pal! (Don't forget to make the most of your pochettes and servantees!)

Note: HERE'S the gag! Despite the author's hideously-sarcastic tone-of-voice, and apparent stupidity, the list of materials he recommends actually would afford the beginner quite a leg-up. How ironic is that?!

(A putz he may be--but he's a crafty putz...)

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » April 27th, 2007, 9:09 am

Hey it's 2007! Where's your PK Ring?
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Return to “Reference Room”