"Coin Transpo to Big Penny" credit?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

"Coin Transpo to Big Penny" credit?

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2003, 6:25 am

Hi folks,

I have a vague recollection of someone on this forum mentioning the effect: a silver dollar in the spectator's hand "changes places" with a penny in the magician's hand. But when the penny is revealed, it is the size of a silver dollar.

Many years ago, I saw this effect demonstrated at a shop, and bought the Big Penny as a result, but would like to know to whom credit goes for the original idea.

thanks, Doug

Pete Biro

Re: "Coin Transpo to Big Penny" credit?

Postby Pete Biro » January 5th, 2003, 10:52 pm

I mentioned it, and as far as I knew it was from Francis Carlysle... (that is who taught it to me).
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2003, 8:01 am

Thanks, Pete

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 6:37 am

Here is a riff on this idea that might entertain you -- it sure entertains the kids! I've been performing this one whenever I've had the chance lately, and it goes down very well (pun intended).

Background:
  • In Canada, we have "loonies" - gold-colored coins slightly larger than a US quarter/the same size as a UK 2p.
  • Our candy makers also make "chocolate loonies" -- gold-foil-wrapped chocolate coins that happen to be the identical size to a "silver maple leaf" -- a large silver-dollar-size coin.
  • In 2004, the Canadian mint made a set of variable-size "silver maple leaves", one of which (a $3 coin!) is the identical size to a "loonie"
*whew*

Now, I borrow a loonie, and introduce the silver-dollar-size "maple leaf". I switch the silver coin for the equivalent-sized chocolate one, which the spectator holds in a fist. Taking the loonie, I switch it for the $3 coin, and hold it in my fist. Retrieving my magic wand ;) I claim that I will make the two coins magically jump back to their rightful owner. After some by-play, we open our hands to show that my volunteer is actually holding the loonie (albeit a chocolate one), and I am actually holding a (miniature) silver coin. Of course, I offer to buy the chocolate coin back for a dollar...

Thanks Francis; thanks Pete!

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 7:17 am

I recall a book by Jerry Mentzer called "Super Cents" that was a compilation of tricks with silver dollar sized pennies. I believe this book was first published sometime in the late 1970s/early 1980s timeframe and may still be available. In this book, Mentzer included the silver dollar/penny transpo in a routine he called (I think) Where's the Penny? I don't remember whether or not he credited it to Francis Carlyle.

Joe Z.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » March 3rd, 2005, 11:48 am

Pete Biro taught me the routine. It is quite good, whith a kicker ending when that big penny appears.

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 1:25 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
I mentioned it, and as far as I knew it was from Francis Carlysle... (that is who taught it to me).
That's a good guess, because Albert Goshman did demo it too at his booth and actually I bought one of the large Cents from him.

As he was close to Francis Carlyle for some time, it is very likely the thing is originated by him..

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 1:30 pm

Ron Bauer has just released his version of this trick, "CENT-sitivity!," for free on Dan Turcotte's YouDoMagic website. http://youdomagic.com/

Cameron

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 1:35 pm

I have seen the effect but have not performed it. I think it would be even more surreal if the magician opened his/her hand and was holding a silver dollar the size of a normal penny.

Anyone know where to get a penny sized silver dollar, or half dollar? I've seen the tiny coins but never anything the size of a penny.

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 4:25 pm

Originally posted by Rich Aviles:
I have seen the effect but have not performed it. I think it would be even more surreal if the magician opened his/her hand and was holding a silver dollar the size of a normal penny.
That's what this morning's post describes above.
see, for example:

Set of different size silver coins

Doug

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 4:50 pm

Originally posted by Doug Peters:
Originally posted by Rich Aviles:
[b] I have seen the effect but have not performed it. I think it would be even more surreal if the magician opened his/her hand and was holding a silver dollar the size of a normal penny.
That's what this morning's post describes above.
see, for example:

Set of different size silver coins

Doug [/b]
You are correct. I guess I was distracted by the loonies and chocolate.

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2005, 11:24 am

Jamie Schoolcraft has an excellent bunch of the Sudbury II's, and marvelous C/S gaffs to go with them, in case you're interested. I have been fooling around with different applications for this penny, as a bit of a possible project with Jamie. Along the line, I had an interesting thought about the transposition that you might want to consider.

The "transposition" gets a good reaction, but I have always found that the audience feels cheated. After all, it's clear that they're been duped, and exactly how they've been duped. Silly them for not knowing that there are dollar sized pennys.

Suppose, however, you could perform the transposition for real? A penny and a dollar change places, and the spectator, who really should be able to feel the difference, verifies that the transposition did occur. Would that not be a better application for this prop?

It's possible, try taking the "dual reality" approach, and consider what happens if the audience never sees the jumbo penny?

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2005, 6:48 pm

Another twist would be to create the illusion that the spectator and performer both shrink -- i.e., both the silver dollar and the penny go jumbo.

Postby Guest » March 30th, 2005, 2:18 pm

Even better, have everything in the room expand. This makes the illusion that the performer and the spectator have shrunk perfect. It requires very large hands and a hell of a Bobo switch to do the job, though.

Postby Guest » March 30th, 2005, 2:37 pm

For a long time I've been doing a version where the penny changes visibly into a dollar, they open their hand and find the big penny, but when they look back at the dollar it's a 3-1/2 incher. Thus the size ratios stay more or less the same. Curtis may remember me doing this at the Coinvention at the bar.

Turns the trick from a gag into a legit magic effect.

Geoff

Postby Guest » March 30th, 2005, 7:19 pm

Yes, Geoff's addition to the effect is a great save. Just as the spectator begins to suspect he's the victim of a rather witless deception, he discovers that there still is magic in the world.

I felt that way when Geoff did it for me at the COINvention, and I'm happy Geoff tipped it here, because I was dying to, but couldn't.

Bravo, dude. So what do you think about the credit for the original trick? Does Carlyle get the nod?

Postby Guest » March 31st, 2005, 2:15 pm

Originally posted by Curtis Kam:
So what do you think about the credit for the original trick? Does Carlyle get the nod?
That's what I always heard. Roth would know for sure; one of us ought to ask him.

Best,

Geoff

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2005, 2:35 pm

Spoke to Roth. It's Carlyle's all right. Probably dates from the early sixties, or whenever the coin came out.

Best,

Geoff

Return to “Reference Room”