Looking for help with credit info

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Jeff Pierce Magic

Looking for help with credit info

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » February 18th, 2004, 4:48 pm

I'm looking for any credit info on a few moves. The first is returning a deck to it's case and inserting the flap of the case between the top card and the rest of the deck. This allows the top card to be accessed without opening the case. Who created this or where was it first published?

I have used this move for a number of routines but can't remember where I first read about it.

Secondly, on another note, if the case is sitting closed on the table with the oval facing upwards, you can use a Kelly Bottom Placement to inset the bottom card of the deck into the case. I seem to recall this published in a Genii or Magic Magazine within the last few years but I might be wrong.

And lastly a quick thing simular to the Paul Fox Miracle Gimmick, but using no gaffs and a ungimmicked deck. I recall it being a Peter Duffie idea so I emailed Peter but with no response.
Any Ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Pierce

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Re: Looking for help with credit info

Postby Thomas Van Aken » February 20th, 2004, 3:26 am

Jeff,
In "Don't Blink", James Swain credit the concept of using Kelly's bottom placement to load a card into the card case to Paul Gertner.
Gertner's inspiration is probably Marlo's "Skinning the cat" where the card is loaded into the card case from angle palm.
Cheers.
Thomas

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 15th, 2004, 12:43 pm

Several folks have varied Paul Fox Gimmick effect inclusing myself ... mine has been published in my lecture notes and in my Linking Ring Parade ... it's called OutFoxed ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Postby Guest » March 15th, 2004, 1:56 pm

Allan Ackerman has a routine that duplicates the effect of the Paul Fox Miracle Gimmick, but with an ungaffed deck. I believe it's in his newest book, LAS VEGAS KARDMA.

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » March 15th, 2004, 3:16 pm

Re: Miracle Gimmick

Al Baker had similar routines using the intersecting sets principle. Take a look at "Vocalepathy" in the Secret Ways of Al Baker.

Ray Grismer has an impromptu handling called "E-Z Foxy" in his "Charts" booklet.

Return to “Reference Room”