Magic In New York

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Magic In New York

Postby Guest » June 2nd, 2004, 6:42 am

Hi there,

Im going to be in New York for a month in Sept / Oct and am trying to find out where is the best place to find out about magical goings-on in the Big Apple - particulary workshops,shows, magic stores etc etc. Are there any courses in magic that I can sign up for?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated !

Many thanks,

Mr C.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Magic In New York

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 2nd, 2004, 7:15 am

I've made several posts on the magic scene in NY -- follow the link below to get the details:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/noncgi/u ... 512#000001

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 2nd, 2004, 7:22 am

As far as lectures/workshops/classes, there's nothing on a regular basis. Michael Canick often has lectures and workshops...his contact info is in the post I linked. You can stop by the gathering places I mentioned and get some informal instruction. You can also keep an eye out for any SAM or IBM happenings while you're here. Also, JMMRT in New Jersey has lectures every month and is only about a half hour outside of Manhattan. Their website is http://www.magical-weddings.com/roundtable/ Check that out a couple of weeks before you come out here to see what's going on.

-Jim

Postby Guest » June 2nd, 2004, 2:10 pm

Mr. C --

Would recommend that you check out the SAM's Parent Assembly web site at http://www.geocities.com/samparentassembly/home.html. Not sure which events are open to folks who aren't members of the Assembly, but may be worth checking out. THey tend to have a full calendar of events, and located in NYC.

I echo the recommendation for the Roundtable lectures -- great group of magicians who have now been meeting for over 50 years! (and there is a train station 50 yards away so easy to get there from New York City)

Not sure where/when, but I thought there are some lunch/brunch-time meeting spots for magicians at some local restaurants - can anyone help me out here?

Seeing that you're coming our way from Ireland, if you'd like to visit our assembly in central NJ for one of our lectures (www.sam161.org), I'm sure we could arrange transporation to/from one of the local train stations. Just let me know!

Hope this helps :)

Scott

Postby Guest » June 2nd, 2004, 2:51 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks you so much for your prompt reply . . . Im about to check out the various links you have recommended !

Many thanks,

Mr C

Steve Cohen

Postby Steve Cohen » June 2nd, 2004, 7:02 pm

In addition to Jim Maloney's excellent NYC magic lists, my show Chamber Magic runs every Friday night at the Waldorf Towers hotel. Last month marked the 3 year anniversary of this show. We don't advertise it, but reservations are required.
For details, please visit my website: http://www.chambermagic.com
Hope to see you there, Mr. Clifton, and other Genii readers!

Alexander Crawford

Postby Alexander Crawford » October 27th, 2004, 10:21 am

Looking forward to seeing you on November 12, Mr Cohen. I loved your show in London and am very excited to see it in its home base.

Postby Guest » October 28th, 2004, 9:04 am

Great show [Chamber Magic] -- don't miss it!

Return to “Reference Room”