Newbie Question - Need Reference Materials

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Newbie Question - Need Reference Materials

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2004, 7:47 pm

I just got interested in magic about 2 weeks ago. I found a local magic shop (believe it or not) and I purchased a closeup pad, a few books and a couple of decks of cards.

My problem is that I can't find any good reference material that will show me close-up the basics.

For example, I would like to have a DVD or Video where there is a camera about 1 foot away from the hands of a magician who is doing a "Double Undercut" or an "Elmsley Count" etc ...

There are plenty out there that show full routines, but they reference things like "Pinky Break" and "Control the card to the top" which is great but I don't know how to do that stuff.

The books are great but I feel clumsy when I do the basics, I want to see it done by a pro so that I can emulate.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where this media may exist ?

-S

CHRIS

Re: Newbie Question - Need Reference Materials

Postby CHRIS » January 3rd, 2004, 5:20 am

For card magic get the Card College series. The ebook version has video clips for each technique, 89 altogether. Take a look at Card College 1 ebook
For more book suggestions read my 4.1 FAQ at Lybrary.com

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2004, 5:42 am

Squeed, go for Richard Kaufman's 'Basic Card Technique' and/or Daryl's 'Encyclopedia of Card Sleights' DVDs. They contain just about all you need. I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

If you want books then i agree, the Card College volumes are excellent.

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2004, 3:52 pm

Another source for the basics is Brad Burt. Reach his site via www.magicshop.com . He has a line of "Personal Instruction Video" on cards, coins, linking rings, sponge balls, etc.
This is the road I took, and am pleased with the results. Brad is an excellent teacher and covers technique(s) in great detail.
By the way, I do not work for him or recieve any type of benefits from recommending his products. Like I said I chose his line of products and have been very pleased. All the best, Lee

Bob L

Postby Bob L » January 4th, 2004, 9:41 am

Card College Vol. 1 was this season's Christmas present from Me to Me.

I had read repeatedly on this and other forums about how good the book was.

I had no idea.

This is an extraordinary piece of writing and illustration. It truly starts on square one with details on various ways to hold a deck of cards. The verbal descriptions are appropriately concise and understandable, unlike some instructional books that blather on and on because the writer can't quite find the right words. It's also exceedingly well presented and organized.

"Royal Road" et al are wonderful books and I'm glad I own them. However, IMHO, Card College is the gold standard for card instruction -- particularly if you've only been doing card magic for seven days.

It is THE PLACE to start.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 4th, 2004, 6:45 pm

Bob, You are SO going to love CC volumes 2 and 3!

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2004, 11:30 am

Hi Squeed. I agree with Zaf, I found Richard Kaufman's DVD invaluable it is just the thing to get you started.

Return to “Reference Room”