help with butterfly magic

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

help with butterfly magic

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2007, 9:40 am

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me locate a source for an effect where a couple of paper butterflies are caused to fly using a hand held fan. I think I have seen this in print somewhere, but I have not been able to locate it. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this.

Cheers,
Eric

Re: help with butterfly magic

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2007, 10:38 am

You can find it in Sleight of Hand of Edwin Sachs in chapter VI Chinese Tricks on page 74.

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2007, 11:04 am

"allmagic.com" has a free e-book on that trick. It's called, "The Butterfly Trick." I cut and pasted the link below. You just have to scroll down the left hand side until you see that e-book.

http://allmagic.com/reader/index.html

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2007, 11:40 am

Wow! Thans so much to the both of you. This is really a great on-line community. I found both references. If either of you have performed this effect, I would appreciate any tips you might be able to pass my way. Thanks again.
Eric

Mitch Dutton

Postby Mitch Dutton » April 29th, 2007, 1:24 pm

Bill Abbott's two volume DVD set of Merlin's Workers has Merlin's take on the effect and he offers some interesting points about working it.

Postby Guest » April 30th, 2007, 10:28 am

I agree with Mitch. Lots of good details.
The DVD also has nice touches on the Spot Card.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 30th, 2007, 10:57 am

My favorite version is one that the French pick pocket Dominique used in his show, years ago, at the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas in the Lido Show.

He sat on a stool, playing a guitar when butterflies flew out of the hole in the guitar and fluttered about, returning back into the guitar. Beautifully staged.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 8:48 pm

Thanks for the DVD suggestion. I will pick it up once I get some practice under my belt using the text resources. I may be more likely to develop my own style that way. Sometimes it is hard not to imitate the DVD performances when I learn things that way. I really appreciate everyone's help. Thanks Again,
Eric

Return to “Reference Room”