Stephen Leacock - The Conjuror's Revenge

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Stephen Leacock - The Conjuror's Revenge

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2007, 12:11 pm

Either Genii or Magic Magazine published this short story not too long ago (the last couple of years). Can someone tell me where I can find it in one of these two magazines?
Thank you.

Terry Greenwood

Re: Stephen Leacock - The Conjuror's Revenge

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2007, 1:05 pm

It's online here or here . It was published in Literary Lapses in 1910, and it's no longer copyrighted.)

Leacock also did another story about the spectator's revenge, A Model Dialogue, "In which is shown how the drawing-room juggler may be permanently cured of his card trick."

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Thank you very much. It's "I love to read" month and I've been asked to read a story to the kids next week. This will fill the bill nicely.

Terry

Postby Guest » February 12th, 2007, 3:11 pm

It was published originally in the early days of The Sphinx, when Leacock was studying, I believe, in Chicago. I have often thought that Leacock was an early subscriber to that magazine. If memmory serves me right, the story was reprinted a second time in The Sphinx, with a preamble that did not appear in Literary Lapses. (Also, I believe that the first time the story appeared in the Sphinx, it was not credited to Leacock. No accreditation was given.)

Postby Guest » February 13th, 2007, 8:26 am

I've loved this story since I was a kid. Don't recall Magic or Genii reprinting it though - and I think I would have remembered!

Return to “Reference Room”