Psychogizmo

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Psychogizmo

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2004, 1:29 pm

Can anybody give me some information on this periodical? All I know is that it was put out in the mid-60s. In one of Minch's books on Elmsley, a Milt Kort trick is said to have appeared in this magazine.

What was the main focus?
What's a complete file?
Who published it?
Why don't we hear more about it?

Thanks,

Cameron Roat

Re: Psychogizmo

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2004, 8:07 pm

Psycho-Gizmo was published by Teral Garrett of

Albany, Kentucky. I never saw one but used to get

his list of old magic epherma from 1957 to 1963.

Every so often I would get an envelope with a few

sheets in it. I have from page 47 to 292. If you

are a collector you would die at the prices,$1.00

for 8 x 10 pictures, $10.00 for Thurston Posters.

But about Psyco-gizmo in that period of time he

put out 36.They were 2 pages mimographed, mostly

mentalism. He bound the first 24 issues and sold

them for $5.00, the rest were loose, they should

be some around, I never seen them on any list for

sale. I have a two page flyer on this and it

reads like Burling Hull , who by the way was one

of the contributors. Lots of luck finding a set...

......Mike

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » April 17th, 2004, 7:43 am

I know it occasionally shows up on e-bay. I have at least 2 volumes, maybe 3. Working from memory only, I think the majority of the contents ran along the lines of mental magic. Not pure mentalism, not straight magic. I've not found anything in it that I wanted to put into my routines yet.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2004, 7:56 am

Thanks for the information, guys.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 17th, 2004, 8:15 am

According to the authoritative Alfredson-Daily "Bibliography of Conjuring Periodicals in English: 1791-1983", a complete file of PSYCHO-GIZMO consists of 48 issues. It was a monthly issued by Terral Garrett in Kentucky. The undated first issue appeared in September 1951, the final issue in June 1965 (obviously it was not always a "monthly"!). They describe complete files as "common", meaning they know of more than 75 such files. We sold a complete file on eBay about a year ago, but I don't recall what we got for it...

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » April 17th, 2004, 4:23 pm

At one point the entire file was available in four (thin) comb-bound volumes, from Micky Hades. I don't know if it's still in stock, but in that format it is not at all rare.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2004, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the information, Mr. Hatch. I've always thought that the Alfredson-Daily manuscript would be a good book to own, as I'm very interested in old and rare magic magazines.

Thanks also to Mr. Maven. I will try to contact Mr. Hades and see if he knows where the bound files can be purchased.

EDIT: After a bit of searching, I've found the bound versions available on the Hades Publications website for $9.00 each.

http://www.trickster.com/catalog/p-booklist.html

Thanks again,

Cameron

Return to “Reference Room”