Help finding Doug Bennett issue of Genii

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Help finding Doug Bennett issue of Genii

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2003, 7:36 pm

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post this request. I'm looking for the issue of Genii that featured Doug Bennett. It was supposed to have been published in the 1980's and had several of his effects. The one I'm interested in finding is called, I believe, "Criss-Cross Cards". Any help from those of you with extensive back files would be appreciated. I've looked in vain for the Genii index -- the link I had to it no longer exists. Thanks for your help!

Frank Yuen

Re: Help finding Doug Bennett issue of Genii

Postby Frank Yuen » December 6th, 2003, 7:47 pm

I may be wrong but I don't think Criss-Cross Cards was explained in the issue. Bennett marketed that effect and it has recently been re-released (just saw it in Hank Lee's flyer). It is basically a clever take on Paul Harris' Double Decker.

Frank Yuen

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 6th, 2003, 8:55 pm

The Genii Index is temporarily (I hope) kaput!
I also recall that the effect was a marketed item, and so unlikely to have appeared in Genii.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2003, 4:25 am

I recall seeing this as well. It may not have been the same as the marketed version but I do remember it.

I think the issue has a picture of Doug Bennett on the cover doing the Addams' bill changer with his necktie.

I also remember seeing Doug Henning perform it either on one of his specials or on a show as a guest (Carson, etc.)

Good luck finding this. If you do find it let me know what issue it is. I have a few issues I saved from the 80's much to my wife's dismay :D .

It's a very unusual item visually and ratchets the Harris effect up a notch.

Pete
(Not the one that knows more stuff and has cooler props though!)

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » December 7th, 2003, 5:15 am

It's Oct.1985 issue of Genii(wow,that long ago)
and you are right,Criss-Cross Cards appear on page 227.
But.....
Whatever happen to Doug Bennett?

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2003, 6:23 am

Thanks, Andrew. I appreciate the time it must have taken to find that issue! Now I just need to find someone who is willing to part with it. Thanks again!

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 8th, 2003, 1:27 pm

Dale:

I have a copy of the October 1985 Genii with Doug Bennett and Criss-Cross Cards. Email me and its yours. pjmccabe@adelphia.net.

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2003, 3:21 pm

If anyone else happens to have a spare copy I'd be willing to grovel, trade, roll over, sit up beg...most of the tricks married guys know.

This is one of the benefits of this excellent forum. Others remind you of all the great effects you may have forgotten in pursuit of the "latest" or as Berger calls it "the tyranny of the new".

Well, I'm as guilty of it as anyone.

Thanks for reminding me of this great trick.

Pete
(not the Ken Brooke, Fred Kaps confidant)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 10th, 2003, 12:13 pm

Dale:

If you still want the Doug Bennett issue, please let me know. Otherwise I'll offer it to Pete Mills.

Pete

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 15th, 2003, 10:39 pm

Pete Mills:

No answer from Dale Hoyt. Let me know if you still want it. pjmccabe@adelphia.net

Postby Guest » December 17th, 2003, 8:45 pm

If you're sure Mr. Hoyt doen't want this I'll gladly take it off your hands.

Pete

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2003, 11:22 am

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:

I have a copy of the October 1985 Genii with Doug Bennett and Criss-Cross Cards. Email me and its yours.
My bad! I haven't revisited this thread since getting the date of the Genii issue. Today I noticed that it had been posted to again! I've privately thanked Mr. McCabe for his generous offer and now I want to do so publicly. And, Mr. Mills, I hope you enjoy the issue, too. After finding out which Genii contained the Criss-Cross cards I located a copy from a commercial source (still don't have it in hand), so I'll soon, I hope, be able to put this effect together.

This forum is a great place for gaining information! It's also populated by a number of generous, giving people. Thank you again!

Hope everyone has a happy holiday season!

Dale Hoyt

Return to “Reference Room”