Advice on travel to the U.S.A, please........

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Darren Lawbuary

Advice on travel to the U.S.A, please........

Postby Darren Lawbuary » September 2nd, 2005, 2:14 pm

Brethren........

In just under a fortnight, I get to spend a dreamy weekend in Hollywood for my 40th birthday. I am wanting to know if I need any type of Visa to enter the States currently, or will just a passport suffice? Have any fellow British magi encountered any problems recently that I should be aware of, please?
In anticipation, I thank you.
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Re: Advice on travel to the U.S.A, please........

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2005, 2:29 pm

I have a friend in London who said that there are new travel restrictions to travel into the states, my suggestion is to contact your local travel agents etc for more information as they will know best.

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » September 2nd, 2005, 2:32 pm

Brian,

Thank you - valuable advice.

Peace,
Remember, laughter is the best medicine. Unless you're asthmatic, then it's Ventolin.

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2005, 2:47 pm

From the U.S. Embassy in London:
[Citizens of] the United Kingdom may travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program if they meet ALL of the following requirements:

The traveler is a citizen of one of the countries named above, traveling on a valid, individual machine readable passport. Note: A passport indicating that the bearer is a British Subject, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British National (Overseas) Citizen, or British Protected Person does not qualify for travel without a visa. A passport which states holder has Right of Abode or indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom does not qualify for visa free travel;

Traveling for business, pleasure or transit only;

Staying in the United States for 90 days or less;

Plus, if entering the United States by air or sea is,

Holding a return or onward ticket. If traveling on an electronic ticket, a copy of the itinerary must be carried for presentation to U.S. immigration at the port of entry. Note: Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas;

Entering the United States aboard an air or sea carrier that has agreed to participate in the program. This includes aircraft of a U.S. corporation that has entered into an agreement with the Department of Homeland Security to carry passengers under the Visa Waiver Program. Note: Other private or official aircraft or vessels do not meet this requirement; and

In possession of a completed form I-94W, obtainable from airline and shipping companies;

Or, if entering the United States by land from Canada or Mexico,

Is in possession of a completed form I-94W, issued by the immigration authorities at the port of entry, and a $6.00 fee, payable only in U.S. dollars.

Important: Some travelers may not be eligible to enter the United States visa free under the VWP. These include people who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, those with criminal records, (the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law), certain serious communicable illnesses, those who have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed on the VWP. Such travelers must apply for special restricted visas. If they attempt to travel without a visa, they may be refused entry into the United States.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html

Hope this helps.

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » September 2nd, 2005, 3:07 pm

Saheer......

Deeply indebted for this detailed reply.
I appear to conform to all requirements!
Many thanks,

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2005, 4:04 pm

Just the same, it would still be a good idea to check with a travel agent just in case the embassy has not updated its website.

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2005, 4:07 pm

Hollywood? Now that is a wild wacked out place to visit. Have a good visit and please remember, what you see on the streets of Hollywood doesn't represent the rest of the country.... oh, and the girls with the honey blond hair and glassy blue eyes that mention tricks are not members of the Magic Castle.... Have a great visit!
Steve V

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » September 2nd, 2005, 5:31 pm

Cheers Steve.

Have visited your country 14 times with the Royal Navy - been to 23 states!
Never to California, though. I'm so damn excited. My family and friends all clubbed together as a birthday treat, bless 'em!
Magic Castle here I come!

Peace,

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2005, 7:04 pm

Boy did I have fun with you Brit Navy guys. In Cocao Beach we got drunk with a bunch of bubbleheads and they tried to sneak us onto the Revolution sub. The best time was in West Africa after the Fauklands, where we were as observers. We were in port with returning Royal Navy types, in fact it was the hospital ship taking Prince Andrew home, and the sailors were cocky as hell. It was Senegal, a former French colony, and there were some French ships in port, we were the only American ship. Man, we had fights galore! When we found out the bulk if the Brit fleet was pulling in as well as ten French ships our admiral decided it was a good time to get out'a the way before the fights started in earnest. Man I wish we stayed just for one night!
Steve V

Darren Lawbuary

Postby Darren Lawbuary » September 5th, 2005, 2:55 pm

Hi Steve.........

Yes, us Royal Navy types do seem to have a bit of a reputation globally.

Fantastic.

Peace.

Return to “Reference Room”