Best online source for Magic supplies and products?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Best online source for Magic supplies and products?

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2003, 3:46 pm

Title kinda says it all. Do we have a good online magicwarehouse.com kinda place with good prices and selection? Anyone have a favorite source. Albuquerque is lacking in a local brick and mortar store, and I could use a good place to shop.

Dave Shepherd

Re: Best online source for Magic supplies and products?

Postby Dave Shepherd » December 5th, 2003, 4:37 pm

There are a lot of good dealers who also have web sites, but in the U.S., I'd have to say that the leader is Denny & Lee Magic Studio, located on the web at http://dennymagic.com .

Denny is based in Baltimore, and also has a store in Las Vegas. He caters to professionals, but is also not above giving basic advice. (Some years ago he showed me the best method I had ever seen to do an Elmsley Count, for example.)

Wolfgang

Postby Wolfgang » December 5th, 2003, 8:14 pm

My alltime favorite online is www.hocus-pocus.com. They have a vast selection and whats more important they have the stuff actually in stock. The prices are good and the service is friendly. :)

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2003, 5:21 am

I find that Penguinmagic.com is the best place to purchase all of your magic needs. If they don't already have the lowest price on an item they will match the lowest price that you find on the Internet. They also have free shipping and the finest customer service. Another thing I like about their web site is the online tutorials for any procuct purchased as well as video demos of most tricks.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2003, 6:47 pm

I have had good dealings with these people:

http://www.themagicwarehouse.com

Good prices, reasonable shipping costs, fast delivery all over the USA (they are in Maryland, and I am in Tennessee, but many others have told me that they received their orders very quickly even out on the West Coast), and good selection. If you don't like credit card info on the web( even with secure server encryption), they will let you post your order online and choose a "mail check or money order" option. They pack up your order and ship it when the payment arrives. Nice alternative to PayPal and credit cards online.

I have never traded with Denny and Lee, but I hear nothing but fine things about them. Hocus-Pocus seems to be a common favorite in such discussions, too. Lately, the loss of some well-regarded online stores has left a hole in the marketplace, IMHO.

I have had a good 40-year relationship with Magic Inc. in Chicago. They are very helpful with a phone call, answering questions, and even discussing methods of prospective purchases if they know you (or can sense from the conversation that you are knowledgeable). On the other hand, their prices are a bit high, and their shipping charges are very high compared to their actual overhead shipping costs.

I hear complaints about Hank Lee Magic, though. I can personally attest to problems with Daytona Magic in Florida, and many others echo similar sentiments in these type of online forums. Ostensibly, both dealers like to advertise things that they don't always stock.

My two cents... :D

Jon

Steve V

Postby Steve V » December 12th, 2003, 11:51 pm

I would like to ad elmagicshop.com in Southern California. David Malek is the hancho and he shoots from the hip. He matches prices and will tell you if he thinks a product isn't good and why.
Steve V
Steve V

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » December 13th, 2003, 4:58 am

What exactly are you looking for?

If you are lookng for the CHEEEEEEPEST price, then there are a bunch of internet-only (or primarily internet) dealers who will sell things to you CHEEEEP. Woe betide you, though, if you have a problem or question.

In the meantime, your insistence on buying things at the lowest possible price will slowly but surely put brick and mortar magic shops out of business forever.

Barry's Magic Shop in Wheaton, Maryland, right here by Washington DC, for example, is not always the least expensive. However, Barry has a full-service, well-stocked magic shop. He and his wife and his staff are always eager to help magicians of all levels--kids, adult beginners, serious amateurs and working pros--in selecting magic to buy and in working with the magic they do buy.

One could very easily go to the cheapest internet dealer and save three or four bucks, and never set foot in a place like Barry's again. In the process, Barry's will go right out of business forever. Just like small-town businesses have been doing for the past 20 years when Wal-Mart comes to town.

Now, I understand that some of you folks live far away from towns that are served by magic shops. But please try to think about what I and others are saying about this.

Just about every magic dealer I know has an online presence and the ability to order online. Many of them, in addition, are run by serious magicians who love magic and who will help when you have a question.

Denny & Lee Magic Studio is like that. They are not always the cheapest, but they are always the best.

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2003, 7:15 am

Books - H&R Magic hands down. They have a vast and frightening selection of books. They also send your package out at light speed. Richard Hatch is unbelievably knowledgable. And guess what? He actually reads the stuff he sells. What a concept!

Magic props - Denny & Lee. Denny and his crew are the best. It's key to mention that it helps to have a pro running the shop. By that I mean Denny is the one who answers the phone and gets you what you want or tells you what you may not know you need. He's an incredible resource, plus he has the scariest ads. He's da man!

Media - L&L. Very friendly service and also incredibly fast.

Electronic thingies - Kerry Pollock and Tim at Wireless Wizardry have been very nice and patient when I have requested assistance with my ShowTech and had tech. questions.

Auctions - It has been a real pleasure dealing with John Mendoza who probably has forgotten more about magic than I'll ever learn. His descriptions are excellent and items are always as described.

Ron Alessi has also been very helpful in tracking down the odd prop.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 13th, 2003, 5:07 pm

Where does John Mendoza run auctions? as an ebay seller?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 13th, 2003, 5:53 pm

John Mendoza sells on eBay under the name "flinner".
It might be "Flinner@concentric.net" or something like that.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2003, 7:14 pm

Mr. Mendoza now uses the ID "flinnermagic" on e-bay. This was probably changed because of the number of identity theft situations on the net.

Best,

Pete

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2004, 7:32 am

Online there's Magic Pro Shop, Magic Max, Chazpro, Diamonds Magic, Hank Lee's Magic Factory...L&L Publishing has lots of videos and books.

Don't forget Viking Manufacturing for REALLY nice well-crafted products.

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2004, 10:08 am

I love the real time stock feature of Ronjo.com. I know if I see on the Ronjo website I can order it. I have had several experiences with other magic dealers taking an order and receiveing an email two or three days later saying sorry its backordered.

Return to “Reference Room”