Card Flourishes

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Card Flourishes

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2006, 2:54 pm

i've devoted practically all my spare time to magic for the past month. so far i've created a nice little arsenal of card tricks. i'd like to learn as many card flourishes as possible to spruce up the whole act. i found a book called The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. It looks pretty slick, i'd just like to know if anyone could confirm that this book is legit. i'd also gladly accept any other advice that has to do with flourishes.

Re: Card Flourishes

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2006, 3:28 pm

I knew a fellow who had the book and he thought pretty highly of it. My only advice about flourishes is to use them sparingly -- to compliment what you're doing and not dominate. Too many and your magic act becomes a juggling exhibition.

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2006, 8:09 pm

I agree with Jim but if you want to have some flourishes in your arsenal you can check out De'vo's (I think that's how he spells it) DVDs, including the cobra cut and some very difficult one-handed and two-handed flourishes (Cradle to Grave, etc.). Also Brian Tudor's Show off DVDs are available. Maybe you can google them to find where you can buy them. Hope this helps.

luigimar

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Long time reader here, first time poster... I am VERY opinionated (sic?) and can debate with the best debaters - I only say this since it seems like EVERYONE just has to debate a post here (so sad)!

People will be MOST impressed with card tricks vs. flourishes, which is nothing more than juggling!

Are you more to remember the guy that did a one-handed cut vs. the card that changed when he/she rubbed it on my arm/leg/table, etc.

Out...

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Didn't know Tudor's Showoff was available on dvd.... Do you know of a source?

Cestkowski's book is good, as is the Buck twins' DVD.

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2006, 8:07 am

Thanks everyone. i mainly wanted to make sure someone had heard of the book and that it wasnt a scam or anything. now i feel better about coughing up the money for it. and thanks for the advice.

Return to “Reference Room”