Marketing Books

Post topics about the business side of magic.

Marketing Books

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2006, 7:46 pm

Is there any difference with marketing a book and marketing a trick?

I am writing books on hypnosis, psychological magic, mind magic, making your own marketed tricks and memmorisation.

Re: Marketing Books

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Dear Sir;
I will make the assumption that you are serious.

You make me think of myself when I started. I did not know how to print a book. I was driving down the street one day and saw a sign on a building that said PRINTER. I went in and asked the man behind the desk what I needed to do to print a book. He told me. I went home and did that and printed a thousand copies. I wrote the Linking Ring and asked what I needed to do to get an ad in their magizine. They told me. I ordered an ad and asked them what I needed to send them They told me and I did this. It all turned out awful but I made progress.

I believe this is the best advice you will get from anyone.

Your biggest problem is that you clearly do not understand the magic industry. My suspicion is that you have not performed over 20 shows.

You probably do not know who I am. I have sold books to most magic aware countires in the world during the last 40 years.

I am also involved in physics. I was reading a forum about the subject once and a poster asked the people on the forum to offer a list of books from which he might understand the subject in detail. Well, he was treated polite but not polite. The people on this forum have treated you politely.
Al Schneider

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 31st, 2006, 2:44 pm

Originally posted by Al Schneider:
The people on this forum have treated you politely.
For example, if we were being impolite, we might point out that it would help demonstrate your mastery of memmorisation if you would memorize how to spell "memorization".

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2006, 1:28 am

Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
For example, if we were being impolite, we might point out that it would help demonstrate your mastery of memmorisation if you would memorize how to spell "memorization".
Without trying to start a linguistic argument, I should point out out that, while the double M is incorrect, the S instead of Z is correct in UK English. And the original poster is in Australia, where they may well speak/write UK English, for all I know.

Dave

Timothy Hyde

Postby Timothy Hyde » March 2nd, 2006, 9:42 pm

Originally posted by Dave Le Fevre:
And the original poster is in Australia, where they may well speak/write UK English, for all I know.

Dave
Dave you are correct, the standard "down under" is UK English.

Timothy Hyde
The Secret Notebooks of Mr Hyde - Vol 1 & 2 - http://www.MagicCoach.com

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Mr. Johnston,

Assuming that you are serious about wanting to know the difference, if any, between marketing a trick and a book, it is the first step in a very long voyage. As an old marketing professor and consultant I would have to say that the answer is both "Yes" and "No". It is a case of specificity. Generally the same things would need to happen while specifically, they may need to happen very differently. I think it is a very wise question.

Unfortunately, many people confuse marketing with selling just as they confuse supervising with managing. A true marketer would start the marketing before ever producing the magic book or the magic trick. Marketing is not about disposing of an existing good or service. At best that is selling. That is a much narrower field. Some people do well at it. Very little marketing is done in magic books and tricks. It would be more efficient and effective than selling but perhaps not as much fun. I wish you luck.

Since your real area of interest is production, you might rather leave the selling to someone really interested in selling.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”