how to obtain quotes

Post topics about the business side of magic.

how to obtain quotes

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2003, 5:33 pm

Hi I was wondering how you go about obtaining quotes, meaning if someone says yours show was great or something good about your show, how do you quote them on it? Do you have to remember what they said so you can put it on your website and promotion package, or is there a process that you have to do?

thanks
Amir

Steve V

Re: how to obtain quotes

Postby Steve V » April 26th, 2003, 11:49 pm

Okay, since you live in Davis I'll give ya a quote:

"Amirs magic made me feel a sense of wonder again, and that doesn't happen often"

Use it in good health!
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2003, 1:30 am

:whack: that was funny, because it is so true, davis isnt the greatest city on earth, and people do tell me that sometimes, that i am the most exciting thing in davis but i dont let that go to my head. that was funny steve, very funny.

amir

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » April 27th, 2003, 4:23 am

After every gig, send the client some kind of feedback form. Make it really easy for them to give you some kind of quotable feedback on your show. Also, make sure you have a place on the sheet where they can indicate their willingness to be quoted.

Walt Anthony of San Francisco gave me this advice some years ago, and it's excellent advice.

Incidentally, I've found that most people who go to the trouble to send it back to you will give you positive feedback. The negative feedback comes when something seriously goes wrong.

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2003, 10:21 pm

I have found that the best quotes are one that have been written to you as they translate well when you put them on your publicity material.

If you have no ethics why not just make them up?

Or get friends to say them?

;)

Postby Guest » May 16th, 2003, 2:47 pm

With the school show that I do I found the best was for me is to give the teachers that watch a clipboard. They can then fill out my form while they watch. I get way too many bullet points this way but still a lot of usable quotes that I otherwise would never have got.

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » May 20th, 2003, 10:21 am

Has anyone tried videotaping select audience members after the show, asking them what they thouth, how they liked the entertainment, etc.?

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2003, 8:48 pm

Rick,

When I created my first video demo tape I taped four testimonials immediately after the show. Here's how I set t up:

Before the show I did a little strolling magic, meeting people and screening them for the testimonials. After entertaining with a few close-up tricks, I asked them if they would be willing to make a few comments after the show for the videotape. All agreed.

Immediately after the show, the camera person and I went into the hotel lobby and did a quick interview. I stood off camera and asked them to say how they liked the show, what they liked in particular etc. I got four terrific testimonials and I will do it again, if and when I redo my tape!

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2003, 11:07 pm

Jim - good technique with the video concept! As I am getting ready to film one of my own, any pointers to share with a starter in this area?

Thanks!

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2003, 5:28 pm

Kym,

I wrote a detailed explanation for my Success-in-Magic course. It's a little long for here, so I'll post the article on http://www.success-in-magic.com

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”