magic as a profession

Post topics about the business side of magic.

magic as a profession

Postby Guest » February 26th, 2003, 5:12 pm

Hi what do you guys think is the top ten or five important things that you should know or do if you want to do magic professionally, if you want to make a living out of it?

thanks
Amir

Re: magic as a profession

Postby Guest » February 27th, 2003, 3:54 pm

In terms of tricks or business advice?

Postby Guest » February 27th, 2003, 4:49 pm

In terms of business advice

Postby Guest » February 27th, 2003, 6:10 pm

#1 Rule) You have to have a great act. Not just good but a good, solid, commercial (appeal to the general public) act.

#2 Rule) You have to be a better marketer than performer to make it to the top.

Get a hold of some good marketing books (better yet, take some courses in it) and learn how to position oneself, market yourself and sell. Everyone that wants to be a pro looks at the glamorous "Show" side and always forgets the "business" side which is THE important side if you want to make a decent living at it.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft
Supplying Unique Mentalism World-wide

Frank Tougas

Postby Frank Tougas » April 22nd, 2003, 9:49 pm

Stamina - Performing is hard work
Tennacity - keeping on even when discouraged
and remembering that show business is the only profession where your job is, always looking for a job. Everyone wants to be a Vegas performer or high paid trade show or corporat performer. Fact is most professionals and all who make it a comfortable sideline endevor are never famous or even well known among magicians. So first decide what it is you really want. Well known among magicians? If so create and market new magic, enter contests, get yourself known at the conventions. A fifty-miler, try one of the marketing courses such as Dee's, do the drill and start performing. Restaraunt magic, plenty of good info on that try Jim Pace's book. Vegas guru - sorry, can't help you there. Expect to put in a lot of sweat equity. Remember if you are talking about doing it for a living it isn't just the show and your 30 - 60 minutes in the spotlight, what do you do with the other seven+ hours in the day? You sell, promote, make calls, get rejected and work harder. If you are really serious, there is probably no better time in recent magic history to take your shot. Great magic is readily availabe, help with marketing is there for the asking (and paying) good luck to you.
Worthiness is measured not by how much you chatter, but by how much you help another.

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » April 29th, 2003, 6:41 am

The above advice is right on. Here are a few lesser points.

1. Carry mints, combs, brushes, shoe polish, all that kind of crap with you to every show. Dress like a pro and always look like a pro. Furthermore, a new deck for every gig please; no ratty sponge balls; no stained close-up pads; steam those silks, etc.

2. Bring business cards with you and don't be shy about handing them out.

3. Unless the show is a formal close-up or parlour show where you can control the environment, always be prepared to perform under all conditions: surrounded, standing, sitting, with table, without table, etc.

4. Have a close-up act, stage or platform act, walk-around set, kid show, family show, night club show, street magic set. Just be ready to say "yes" to any good money offer.

5. Don't underprice yourself (I admit to having trouble with this one sometimes).

6. Make sure you make yourself known and direct at least part of your performance to the client, client's boss, client's family, client's kids, etc.

7. Start performing a little early, leave a little late, give them more than they expected.

8. Don't drink at that corporate hospitality suite, don't try to make a date with the hot chick from marketing, don't [censored] where you work.

TheDean.

Postby TheDean. » April 29th, 2003, 1:08 pm

And all of the responses will fall under this one super-simple axiom: Treat it like the kind-of business that you want it to be!

If you treat it like a part-time birthday party business, THAT'S exactly what you will get in return. If, on the other hand, you treat it like the multi-million dollar business that guys like David Copperfirld, Lance Burton, Sigfried and Roy have done, and then too, you shall reap those rewards! As well as any place in the middle

You get what you GIVE in this business!

It really does boil down to being that simple! (Notice I said "simple"... not easy!) The rest is what it takes to achieve the results that you truly desire and what you are willing to REALLY give-up and take action on to have what you want! (or not...) just as the others have so eloquently stated.

I am at your service and in His service,
Deano

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » April 29th, 2003, 4:19 pm

I would highly recommend the interview with Joel Bauer in the last issue of Magic.

Steve Vaught
Favorite Magician: Zabrecky, Giobbi, Kopf, Vigil

Postby Steve Vaught » April 30th, 2003, 7:04 am

All of the advice has been great. I noticed you are a student. Now a days, that could mean your a teenager or in your 30's going back to school. Either way, I would say, if this is something you are considering as a career. Be a "LEARNER". Be excited about learning. There are SO MANY different aspects to this business. Just as the other gentlemen have mentioned. You not only have to have a GREAT show. Which takes time, preparation and experience. You have to understand the basics of selling, marketing, communications, organization, planning. Don't let that scare you! Don't think you have to be a master at all of this before you decide to do little Joey's barmitzvah.
So, to echo what the others are saying ...get your show "down".
Books to help with the business "Get your show on the road" keith Johnson/ "Making a living without a job" Barbara Winter/ Dave Dee's course / "Lead the field" -tapes by Earl Nightingale.
These books and tapes are off the top of my head. I am sure others may have different influences.
Remember...obstacles and troubles are part of THE PROCESS. Do not be afraid to tackle them!!

Postby Guest » April 30th, 2003, 12:42 pm

Thank You for all the advice everyone I greatly apprecitate it.

Amir

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”