Good Business Books?

Post topics about the business side of magic.

Good Business Books?

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2005, 1:32 pm

I'm assuming that the post on the Marketing Business section have died out... To me this is a way important subject. I was wondering if anyone has read any good books on the subject of marketing/business... even if its not a Magic based book... I'll start by Highly recommending "Highway to Success- The Entertainers Roadmap to Business" by Elliott Smith & Ian Quick.
On a performance and general book of tips I highly recommend Eric Hennings book called "Tips: Real-world Ideas from a working Magician... So how about you guys what's good on the business/practical side.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Good Business Books?

Postby NCMarsh » January 27th, 2005, 5:44 pm

Mike,

Good to "see" you, hope to run into you soon (Capehart Sunday?). In any case, I'm really enjoying Frances Marshall's book on Trade Shows; a great compilation of strong information. Other recommendations:

Charles' "Complete Guide to Restaurant and Walkaround"

Charvet's "Banquet Magicians Handbook"

best,
N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Will be there sunday... I'm working and attending. Have those and I agree good stuff. I'll also add Hustle Hustle The book not the video, a little dated but definetely good stuff, Also if you ever get to see Joel Bauer Lecture Don't miss it but bring clothes for the next day, He lectured at Denny and Lee's from 7pm to 7am then went out to breakfast with everyone. I had to leave at six Am as I was afaid my wife would wake up and not find me there. (I'll cut this story short and just say I can't mention his name in the house.) But still very cool.
P.S.-Nathan I know you want it secret (and its safe with me) but you should write up you copper silver routine totally kick a**. You should meet Eric Johnson too and see his version of karate coin... Incredible.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » January 28th, 2005, 11:02 am

Mike, thanks for the kind comment (that routine isn't mine to publish -- but I do have some interesting items that will see the light this year).

I'll add Bill Goldman's "Little Book of Big Secrets" to the mix. As well as all of the old Robert Nelson books on publicity and booking.

Anyone have any comments on "Highway to Success"?

best,
N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2005, 10:32 pm

Hi all,

Don't look in just the "magic" books. Some of the best advice/info. I have found is in such books as "Selling Your Services" by Robert Bly.

Have a good one,

Bob Phillips

Cesar Munoz

Postby Cesar Munoz » January 30th, 2005, 6:34 pm

Some of my favorite sales books (oldies but goodies!):

How To Master The Art of Selling by Tom Hopkins

How To Sell Anything To Anybody by Joe Girard

Secrets of Closing The Sale by Zig Ziglar

The Joe Girard book in particular is chock full of great ideas you can use to build a business.

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2005, 8:30 pm

I have a very large section of my library devoted to marketing and sales. Here are a few samples:

'Life is a Contact Sport' by Ken Kragen. This is one of the best books I have read on making and keeping contacts for bookings. Writen by SUPER AGENT/MANAGER Ken Kragen (Kenny Rogers manager also staged 'We Are The World'concert, etc.)

Joel Bauer's 'How to persuade Pepole...' written for the layman to promote his seminars,is none the less, EXCELLENT reading as is David Ben's, 'Tricks'.

I finally aquired Michael Baileys, 'The Magic Business' and am on my second reading - AMAZING!

Anything by Dick Ryan or Eddie Tullock is worth getting.

There are many more but this should get you thinking about the Biz in showbiz.

Keep the list going. I will add more as time goes on.

Brian Glow

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 9th, 2005, 12:27 pm

Purple Cow by Seth Godin

It addresses a much more important issue. How to make yourself so remarkable people will naturally want to discuss you.

SteveHart

Postby SteveHart » March 12th, 2005, 8:15 am

After 20 years and a successful career in magic, I recommend, Napoleon Hill's book, "Think and Grow Rich" available in paperback real cheap.

If you are really serious, read Brian Tracy's book, "The 100 Absolutely Unbreakable Laws of Business Success" This book is only for those who have ears to hear.

All of Seth Godin books are great.

Steve Hart

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2005, 6:16 pm

I have 'IdeaVirus', Seth Godin's most successful ebook, available on my blog as a free download. I found it extremely informative and wanted to share it with any magician interested in marketing and web development..

Actually, it opens as a pdf if you just wanted to have a look before saving it..

http://streetmagic.info/blogger.html

Rick Carruth

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 13th, 2005, 8:32 am

Rick, do you have permission from the copyright holder and publisher to offer it on your blog? If not, remove your post.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 13th, 2005, 1:08 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Rick, do you have permission from the copyright holder and publisher to offer it on your blog? If not, remove your post.
Seth offers it for free download. It is the point of the book.

I downloaded it, read it and then went and bought 4 copies and gave three to my management at the time.

The essence of the book is about spreading ideas. Marketing. So he took the whole of his book and gave it away for free, yet still won awards for the sales of the real book.

I don't know if matey has permission or not but as it's a link directly to Seth's site - where it's free, I imagine it's all good.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » March 13th, 2005, 8:23 pm

The author does indeed allow this to be freely downloaded from his very own (offical) website.

It can be found here.

http://www.sethgodin.com/ideavirus/01-getit.html

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2005, 1:08 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Hi Richard..

I suppose the two previous post beat me to it, but yes, I do have Seth's permission and blessings.
---------------
Seth was one of the pioneers of viral marketing- producing a product (ebook) and distributing it any way possible. He doesn't profit from the book itself, but from the links within the book.

Too bad most magicians won't touch a book if it doesn't contain a second deal or coins across. As great posters like Steve Hart will testify to - "Magic without marketing is like a Porsche without an engine... all show and no go"

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”