Working Visa for Entertainers in India?

Post topics about the business side of magic.
mrgoat

Working Visa for Entertainers in India?

Postby mrgoat » January 21st, 2003, 10:00 am

Apologies if this is OT or in the wrong place. Seemed the most sensible place to ask.

The BBC here in the UK are filming a new TV show where people give up their lives in Blighty and go and live and work somewhere new.

I want to go to South India and make a living doing magic in the hotels and restaurants there.

The BBC seem quite keen to pay for it all.

Thing is, it seems very hard to get a working visa.

Obviously, as it will be on television, I can't just 'blag' it on a tourist visa.

I wondered if anyone here had any experience of getting a working visa for performing overseas and could offer any tips.

It seems one way is to get an Indian company to offer me a job. Quite hard to organise that from London!

Thanks in advance for any tips or pointers.

All the best

Damian Goat

Re: Working Visa for Entertainers in India?

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2003, 2:29 pm

It seem to me like you are working for the BBC in India. Couldn't you get a visa that way?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 21st, 2003, 3:20 pm

Originally posted by Robert Dellsy:
It seem to me like you are working for the BBC in India. Couldn't you get a visa that way?
Thanks for the thought, but the BBC want people who want to go and start a new life overseas. Its a 'reality tv' style show, so it would be working for the hotels that employ me as a magician. I would want to pay the proper taxes etc.

Thanks again for thr thought though

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » January 21st, 2003, 4:45 pm

Originally posted by mrgoat:
I want to go to South India and make a living doing magic in the hotels and restaurants there.
Check with your local Indian Embassy for details but considering that they are part of the British Commonwealth it's most likely a procedural application and not one that would be hard to obtain.

Your local booking agencies should be able to answer general questions as should any of the office staff for sports teams that play in India for pay. They all need the same visa as you or I need.

Good luck but remember one thing. Goat is on the menu in most of those restaurants.

Ray
Best Regards,
Ray
http://www.rayhaddad.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 22nd, 2003, 2:30 am

Originally posted by Ray Haddad:
Check with your local Indian Embassy for details but considering that they are part of the British Commonwealth it's most likely a procedural application and not one that would be hard to obtain.

Your local booking agencies should be able to answer general questions as should any of the office staff for sports teams that play in India for pay. They all need the same visa as you or I need.

Good luck but remember one thing. Goat is on the menu in most of those restaurants.

Ray[/QB]
Thanks for your thoughts.

But actually, a alrge part of the country is vegetarian, so not too may goats are eaten. Jamaica I would be worried about...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 22nd, 2003, 10:13 am

Maybe get a job app for teaching? You can teach a few folks tricks. Or as a student? You can find some Jadoowalla on the street to study?

Join the CIA and go as a spy?
Stay tooned.

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”