Last Minute Advice

Post topics about the business side of magic.

Last Minute Advice

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2007, 1:24 am

Today I got an unexpected invitation to demonstrate my close-up magic for a group of rich business men. Naturally I accepted - only trouble is I haven't yet recieved the books on marketing yourself that I ordered (thanks to all of you who posted on the thread titled "Marketing Yourself". The invite is for tommorow morning and I could really use any tips or advice for making a good impression and landing gigs.

Thanks!

Re: Last Minute Advice

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2007, 1:53 am

I don't have any advice, but good luck.

Hopefully your magic is so good, you won't need to worry about getting more gigs from them.

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2007, 8:23 am

Hey Slavatron,

Use material you can do with your eyes closed. Connect with your spectators; use their names as often as possible. Leave them wanting more! If you know any good gambling routines, businessmen are the best audience for it. Do a trick that uses your business cards and leave a few out in the open.

Hope it helps,
Good luck and have fun,
Seb

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Be calm, friendly and professional. Do a few of your best effects -- ones that involve them. One card trick. One.*

Bring your business cards, but don't push.

MP

(* one. really.)

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » February 18th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Remember that business relationships are just that: relationships. You should be as interested in what they do, and willing to be of help if you can, as you want them to be in what you do.

Look as good as you can.

99% of making a connection turn into a sale is about being prepared. Be ready with a concise and interesting description of what you do. Don't perform unless asked; but be ready to.

You cannot seem like you need work; and you should not come off as if you need them.

Follow up! Hand-write each one a follow-up note about how much you enjoyed meeting them (keep it concise and in cursive, which is much more unusual/special these days). If specific dates come up at the meeting, get as much detail as possible -- enough to draft a contract. At the meeting, ask "well, I don't have my calendar on me, but there is a chance that I have an availability on that date. Would you like me to check and place a hold on that date if it is open?"

I still have a lot to learn but, so far, I've learned a lot by just going out and doing it. Whatever happens, have fun tommorow and look at it as a learning experience.

For future reference; a great book on this sort of thing is Jeffrey Gitomer's Little Black Book of Connections: 6.5 Assets for Networking your way to Rich Relationships; search Amazon for Gitomer.

Best,

N.

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2007, 1:34 pm

Those Gitomer books are GREAT! :whack:

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2007, 2:00 am

Thanks guys. I made a good impression and got a call about a show four hours later. This person didn't even see the demo, they just heard about it. Thanks again!

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”