L&L Publishing-Slow Shipping

Post topics about the business side of magic.

L&L Publishing-Slow Shipping

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2003, 12:41 pm

Something to consider.
I placed an order with L&L Publishing for a book. Credit Card payment. Received email confirming order. A full week later I call to check on order. Response,"Its being shipped today".i.e. seven days later. Reason: "We work out of a remote area and we only go to the post office to send foreign orders once a week" :confused: .(I live in Canada)
To me this is poor business. Why not state on your web site or magazine ads that this is the case? Fact is they will take your money 24/7, but only send you your order once a week if you live outside of the U.S.

Bill Mullins

Re: L&L Publishing-Slow Shipping

Postby Bill Mullins » May 8th, 2003, 1:55 pm

Call up Louis Falanga and tell him this is why you won't be orderring from them anymore. There is very little that L&L sells that can't be bought elsewhere.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » May 8th, 2003, 2:04 pm

I think we all would be interested in learning the response you get from Mr Falagna - Obviously you ordered on a "Going to the Post Office" day if you called a full week later - You may have missed the cutoff time :rolleyes:

This doesn't sound like something L&L would normally do

Dave

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2003, 5:08 pm

I have only had GREAT service from L&L (and from Denny's). :D

Just last week, I received a product that I thought the mfg (not L&L) had not made defectively. They sent an immediate replacement, no questions asked, with a return envelop for the bad one.

I'm one satisfied customer (and you can't beat the 10% [censored]). :)

Steve V

Postby Steve V » May 8th, 2003, 5:41 pm

L & L is in a local that the recent snow storms may have effected their ability to get to the post office. I don't know when the delay took place but the weather has been pretty bad up there for the last three weeks.
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2003, 12:27 pm

:eek: Update: Book arrived today. May 12th.
Lady I spoke to gave me the wrong shipping date. It had been sent on May 2nd, (day after I ordered it). Six days before she said it was to be shipped. This was all a simple and honest mistake on L&L's part. No harm done.

..........ok now where is that book!?!? :)
:genii:

Steve V

Postby Steve V » May 12th, 2003, 8:57 pm

Wait, I canceled a huge order based on your complaint....dang. Oh, UPS to Ontario is 6 working days from Tahoe and that doesn't include clearance and delivery by UPS Canada.
Steve V <---Logistics Manager
Steve V

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » May 13th, 2003, 7:57 am

Steve... where do you live. I keep getting the impression that you live in Canada, or visit here regularily.

As for ordering from the States... sadly, that is something I won't be doing anymore. After getting nailed by customs to the tune of 35 bucks, I would have been better of going to the Browsers Den of Magic, and paying there.

Sigh...

David.
David Mitchell

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2003, 8:41 am

David,
I am very curious as to why you paid $35 to Canada Customs since the free trade agreement went into effect, all you are required to pay on magic (tricks or books) is only the GST. If it was mailed, you will have to pay an additional $5 collection fee to them however, if you have the order sent via UPS and if the order is below $200 in value, you pay a rather high brokerage fee (which may be your complaint but until you answer, I am not sure).

As both a purchaser and a dealer who ships regularly around the world, our two countries enjoy relative free access to goods on both sides of the border with little pain most of the time, if you know which hoops to avoid and which ones to jump through.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft
Supplying Unique Mentalism World-wide

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2003, 12:23 pm

David, I'm in Silicon Valley and due a huge amount of business with Canada and deal with Canadian customs daily. I'm also a registered non-resident importer in Canada. Paul is right, a simple NAFTA form takes care of any duties (email me if you want a copy on excel to have folks use) and Paul is also correct about the problem of using a company like UPS. If a company does a lot of business in Canada there are definate ways to reduce the over all cost of shipping to Canadian customers but most are either not aware of how to benefit from the services available or it's not their problem that you have to pay $60 to clear customs (in some cases). One thing many in the US do not realize is Canadian customs is very strict and they do not give shipments from the US any special treatment.
Steve V

Rennie

Postby Rennie » May 13th, 2003, 2:20 pm

I have never had any problem with L&L, but of course I live in silicon valley also. Anything shipped out of the U.S. is a problem. And of course do not forget that the L&L video's have Tania in them which is worth the wait.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Rennie

Postby Rennie » May 13th, 2003, 2:22 pm

The above post should say "Valley" hate it when I do not do my spell check.
Rennie

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2003, 7:04 pm

Yo, Rennie, my man; click the little Pencil/Paper icon on the same line as your posted date and time, and you can edit your post -- no need to post a second time, a magical transformation of the written record! :whack:

--Randy Campbell

Rennie

Postby Rennie » May 14th, 2003, 7:05 am

Randy,
Thank you for the info, I am a computer illiterate as you can see so any help is appreciated.I did as you suggested and it works fine.
Thanks again,
Rennie

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”