Derren Brown Vs. Max Maven

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Derren Brown Vs. Max Maven

Postby Guest » March 30th, 2002, 11:23 pm

Two very different performing styles. Any preferences? And why?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Derren Brown Vs. Max Maven

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 31st, 2002, 7:39 am

From the title of your thread, I was expecting to read your message and see "Celebrity Death Match" with little Claymation figures of Derren and Max!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 31st, 2002, 7:55 am

Now that I'd like to see!

Postby Guest » March 31st, 2002, 8:47 am

Derren Brown is fantastic,but he does'nt have the
brilliant,original humourous lines that make Max
Maven the GOD that he is....Bye.

Postby Guest » March 31st, 2002, 1:42 pm

Since Mentalists get by on their personality and not the effects they do, your question is moot.

Derren is a very skillful up and comer but then again there are also many others that have as good style and technique. Max's performances not only contain only original material but also his persona is one that really cannot be duplicated. There is only one Max. Darren is a very creative thinker as well but there are others with as much skill and creativity as well as stage presence. Marc Salem, Craig Karges, Banachek, Tim Connover, David Berglas, come to mind right away and I could list at least a dozen more that belong up there too.

If you want to compare creativity, Max Maven will undoubtedly go down as one of magics greatest innovators and thinkers. There are very few people I can think of that I would consider a brilliant showman, great magical thinker as well as a walking encyclopedia of knowledge and Max is one of the few not to mention a very cordial gentleman. I have always enjoyed discussions with him as they are always full of useful insight.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

http://www.mindguy.com

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » April 1st, 2002, 3:21 pm

I like them both, for different reasons.

But then you knew that, this is the mentalist section after all :)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 1st, 2002, 9:34 pm

You forgot the KING of Mentalists... Kreskin.
Don't laugh.
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 1st, 2002, 11:21 pm

I'm not laughing. I attended his full show in San Clemente about 20 years ago – and it cost me plenty. After waiting outside the theater for a half hour past show time, the theater owner, with whom I was mildly acquainted, comes out to tell us that he didn't have enough cash on hand to pay Kreskin. So a few other people and me pony up with the dough, otherwise Kreskin was going to hit the road – and frankly, we wanted to see him. Besides the cost of two tickets (can't recall the charge), it cost me $350 (THAT'S easy to remember) to see Kreskin. Of course, the theater owner went BK and I was out the cash (I wrote it off as a bad debt – so I sorta-kinda got it back). Was Kreskin worth it? Damn straight. KILLER show.

Dustin

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”