Semi-Impromptu Seance: brainstorming a concept

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Semi-Impromptu Seance: brainstorming a concept

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2003, 1:52 pm

Having looked through Spirit Theater, Seance and the Collected Invocation books, the idea of semi-impromptu seance-like material has been on my brain for a couple of weeks.

Being primarily a comedy close up and trade show guy (aside from the hypnoshow, obviously), my mentalism side is okay, but I'm looking to go a bit more spooky. References are fine if you'd prefer, too. I can read and I do have a pretty good library. I also live about a mile from Magic, Inc, so access isn't a problem, either.

By semi-impromptu, I mean working out of one's pockets and maybe a small briefcase - no gimmicked rooms, thread runs, etc.

Aside from spirit slate work, number routines, PK magnet effects, and a few IT bits, what would the group suggest?

I have all the time in the world to work on this concept - nothing pending in the performance file for it, yet. BUT - the ideas have to be workers, but not necessarily full-blown routines (I can come up with my own presentations, no problem there) with minimal set up and the seeming of being something done "off the cuff" as opposed to digging out a Ouija Board, Crystal Ball, Grant Spirit Slate Set, Talking Skull, gimmicked tape player and stringing thread all over the room.

Lighting requirements - medium to fairly dark nightclub table setting.

Some of my own stuff from New Invocation works well, but I'm looking to expand.

Ideas would be welcome.

Call it a brainstroming session.

Thanks in advance,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

John Smetana

Re: Semi-Impromptu Seance: brainstorming a concept

Postby John Smetana » June 20th, 2003, 2:49 pm

Lee, I'd suggest you get a copy of Alexander Thomas' book titled "Turning Thoughts To Gold" There are several seance ideas in there that are literally prop free and, as I recall, seem to meet the conditions you impose.
Also, a copy of "seance" by Scott Davis may be helpful.
Hope this helps,

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2003, 9:52 pm

Lee. You mentioned spirit theatre by Burger. One of the things that struck my attention in this book was that almost anything can be chalked up to the spirits if given the proper spin. See for examle Burger's handling of the Dragon thread trick in Spirit theatre, or the sheer simplicity of some of the effects Burger describes in the historical sections. The spirit cabinet is, after all, an escape trick taken in a spookier direction. What you want, therefore, is impromptu, or semi, impromptu bits of magic or mentalism with the capacity to slightly un-nerve. Tarot cards pack small, but must be used with sensitivity. See Minch's "The Book of Thoth" for some ideas. I seem to remember an impromptu card divination through muscle reading that could be atributed to the spirits. Banacheck's ideas on impromptu mentalism are also great. His Psychokinetic touches is impromptu, and while it isn't really appropriate for strolling (in my opinion) it can be very spooky in the right circumstances. I once did this in a friends bar that had a long out of use bar on the second floor. I took a few people up after work with flashlights and drew chalk outlines on the bare floor for the participants to stand in. I even scared myself ;)
Jer.

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » June 21st, 2003, 11:44 pm

Hi Lee,
Two books I think you'll get something out of:

Have Seance Will Travel by Brother Shadow (metaphysically-leaning seance with no trickery; a favorite of Richard Webster)

Raising The Dead For Fun & Profit by Jim Magus
(covers a lot about marketing seances as party entertainment, but also gives effects for six briefcase-size seances)

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance (I'm a local phone call).
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Postby Guest » June 23rd, 2003, 7:34 am

Originally posted by Necromancer:
Hi Lee,
Two books I think you'll get something out of:

Have Seance Will Travel by Brother Shadow (metaphysically-leaning seance with no trickery; a favorite of Richard Webster)

Raising The Dead For Fun & Profit by Jim Magus
(covers a lot about marketing seances as party entertainment, but also gives effects for six briefcase-size seances)

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance (I'm a local phone call).
Hi all!

Thanks for the kind replies. I appreciate them greatly.

I have Seance and it is a true goldmine of information. One of my favorite references at the moment.

One routine that I have been having fun with recently (tho not actually spirit-oriented, it does fall into the category of WEIRD, for certain): Kathy's Crazy Finger Bit, by Jim Ryan's daugghter.

This is a bit where you have someone interlace their fingers, extend the index fingers straight up, separated and you, without touching them, cause them to move together like a vice, simply by turning two imaginary screws on the outsode of their hands.

One thing about this one, the further out their elbows are, the easier it will be for you to succeed and for them to fail, even if they resist.

From the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.

Heck, I've even worked it into a hypnotic induction for private party work!

Thanks and keep the ideas coming. Halloween isn't all THAT far away!

Kind regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

P.S. Necromancer, give me a call, I'm in the Chicago Yellow Pages and Book (not to mention the number's on the website), as I'm not sure who you are.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”