The time Machine

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

The time Machine

Postby C. Hampton » July 13th, 2002, 2:40 pm

I've seen this effect advertised in a couple of magic dealers and I was wondering if any one got it.
For the description is an absolute killer effect, where you show a wrist band watch with the current time. You take it off and turn it face down, you asked an spectator to name any time of the day, even minutes, immediatly you turn it over and the time matches exactly.

Is it worth the 100 bucks that they ask for it????

Thanks
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Re: The time Machine

Postby Guest » July 13th, 2002, 11:54 pm

If you'll use it, it's worth far more.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.mindguy.com

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » July 14th, 2002, 5:55 am

Mr Alberstat, without giving away the workings. Can you tell if is easy to do, and/or if you need an sistant to work the effect?

Thanks,

Carlos
Carlos Hampton

David Regal

Postby David Regal » July 14th, 2002, 7:21 am

I bought The Time Machine and I'm very happy with it. To answer your question Carlos, it is a one-person effect, so you do not need a secret assistant. However, you will need to work on presentation, as it is one of those effects that is essentially self-working in one respect, but difficult to properly present in another. You must be comfortable improvising a considerable amount of dialog while performing in order to successfully perform this trick.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » July 14th, 2002, 7:23 am

However, you do not need how to spell "dialogue" in order to successfully perform the effect.

Postby Guest » July 14th, 2002, 8:08 am

I fdon't like the design of the "box" part.

Is the mechanism not too difficultly (and costly?)transferable to another watch? (or rebuildable for another watch)

thanks.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » July 14th, 2002, 9:21 am

I don't know what "box part" you refer to. The effect The Time Machine is simply a watch - it has no box. Perhaps you are confusing this with another similar effect.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » July 14th, 2002, 9:22 am

If you mean the watch's design...I wouldn't want to try to move the mechanism.

Postby Guest » July 14th, 2002, 9:32 am

I'm talking about the box that contains the mechanism, hands, glass, and so on...

Postby Guest » July 14th, 2002, 1:02 pm

Carlos,
No assitant needed and some of the most knowledgable mentalists around are now playing with it and love it. For the price, you can't really go worng and I have no doubt that if you really don't care for it that you could put it up for sale here on Genii and sell it right away.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.mindguy.com

Larry Horayne

Postby Larry Horayne » July 14th, 2002, 1:34 pm

I never take the watch off my wrist. I show the spectator my watch has stopped, and as I pull out the stem, I ask for the correct time. From that point a five year old can do the effect.

www.SandySinger.com

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » July 14th, 2002, 8:15 pm

Originally posted by David Regal:
I bought The Time Machine and I'm very happy with it. To answer your question Carlos, it is a one-person effect, so you do not need a secret assistant. However, you will need to work on presentation, as it is one of those effects that is essentially self-working in one respect, but difficult to properly present in another. You must be comfortable improvising a considerable amount of dialog while performing in order to successfully perform this trick.
Unfortanately very few magicians have your improv backround Dave

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2002, 12:19 am

The Time Machine is WONDERFUL! The watch was built from scratch, and designed to do the trick that it does, so don't try to take the "guts" out of it, and put them into another watch.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » July 16th, 2002, 4:06 am

Anyone knows the difference between the time machine and watch and wear made in Argentina???
Carlos Hampton

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2002, 9:55 am

As far as the one from Argentina goes...welllll... I have seen better looking watches fall out of gumball machines. The Time Machine is a BEAUTIFUL watch. Also, the guys who made the one from Argentina took a cheap (and I do mean CHEAP!) watch, and rewired it so that it would "do the trick". The Time Machine, as I said in my previous post, was designed and built from scratch by the Fossil Watch Co. The Time Machine was designed to do the effect. The Time machine is hands down the the best of the units.

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » July 16th, 2002, 10:00 am

For those who have performed "time machine" for lay audiences, Are you getting alot of "is that a trick watch" type responses?

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2002, 10:07 am

In the 100s of times that I have performed this trick for both laymen and magicians, I have NEVER been asked that question. I think the reason is that it does not LOOK like a "trick watch". Also, I do it before or after Psychokenetic Time by Banachek, which uses the spectator's watch. In both instances it is, apparently, the SPECTATOR who is the hero.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » July 16th, 2002, 2:17 pm

A couple of more things I would like to ask.
Is Mr. Eldridge the manufacturer of the effect or is he involved in the marketing of it?
Is the watch splash resistant?

Mr. Eldridge, please take no ofense, I just want to know how objective your input really is. So far I'm very pleased with everyone's responses.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

Sincerely,

Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com
Carlos Hampton

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » July 16th, 2002, 2:59 pm

Thanks David for your response.

Does the watch say "Fossil" across the face? I was looking at an ad from magicsmith.com and the pic of the watch was very similar to "watch and wear".

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » July 16th, 2002, 9:56 pm

Does Time Machine have (besides its looks and price) any funtional / handling differences and (or) improvements over the Collectors Workshop watch, or the various other watches that have hit the market the past few years?

Thank you...

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2002, 10:13 pm

Hi Guys. No, I am NOT the manufacturer of the Time Machine. I DO sell it in my shop, but I am not part of the manufacturing or marketing of this item. No, it does not say "Fossil" on the face. However, the manufacturer is a very good friend of mine, and he told me who he had make the watch for him. Now, just because he is my friend does NOT make me biased. There are some things that he makes that I do not like, and would not recommend to anyone.

I have seen both watches side by side, and I can say, without reservation, that the Time Machine is far and away the best of the units. I don't know about it being water-proof. I have never tested this.

The ONLY reason that someone might ask, "Is that a 'trick' watch?" is if you do the trick to fast. What I mean by that is if you set the prediction, ask for a time and then BS while the watch "does it's thing". It puts heat on the watch. A lot of guys make the mistake of doing this effect to straight forward.

When I do it, I "set the prediction". Then I ask the spectator to imagine the face of a clock by "drawing" a large circle in the air. I tell them to see the numbers, and then, all of a sudden, the Hour Hand appears. I gesture as if my index finger is the Hour Hand, and I have it pointing straight up at 12:00. AS I am creating this image, I am letting the watch get as close to straight up 12:00 as I can, and then I stop it.

I then tell them to imagine the Hour Hand moving around the clock "past the one...past the two...and then...all of a sudden...(SNAP!) it stops! What HOUR did it stop at?" When I snap my fingers, I do it at about where the 7:00 position would be. Believe it or not MOST people say 7 or 8 o'clock. I then let the watch begin running. After I get the hour, I then go back to the imaginary clock face, and ask them to imagine the Minute Hand. Again, this is done by gesturing with my finger at the 12:00 position. Now the minute hand begins moving around the clock "past the one...past the two... and then...all of a sudden...(SNAP!) it stops! What minute did it stop at? Most people will give a number between 20-40. With the right amount of timing, I can turn the watch around after about 4 seconds after I get the full time. No "stalling".

It is because of my asking them to use their minds, and make several decisions, that the watch is not suspected. All the heat is one the spectator. After all, I was HIS imagination, and HIS choice of time.

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » July 18th, 2002, 7:19 am

David, I'm very interested in purchasing a "time machine" Could you tell me who the manufacturer is?
Thanks,

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2002, 8:01 am

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » July 18th, 2002, 11:26 am

Go to Hank Lee, he has it for $99.00 bucks that is 30 dollars less than the magic shop, and I haven't check Denny Lee, but I am almost sure he carries it for a few dollars less.
Carlos Hampton

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2002, 11:47 pm

I'm still curious about the question of whether the watches are the same or not; I want to believe David, but every review I've read where somebody had seen or handled both watches said that they are identical in appearance except for the watch straps. I have not seen them side by side in person, but I've seen both watches, and as far as I could tell, they both looked identical. I will try going to one of the shops I know that I believe carries both, to see if I can do a side by side comparison.

In the meantime, are there any comments from anybody else who's actually compared the two?

Regardless of whether the watch is the same or not, though, there's also the question that surprisingly few people have asked as to whether it's a legitimate new version, or a ripoff (superior quality or not) of "Watch & Wear" (which does have the improvement over "Perfect Time" of being entirely self-contained, rather than needing that special extra something to make it do its thing). Anybody?

--Andy

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 19th, 2002, 12:52 pm

Okay, I've been lurking around this thread, because the sooner everyone forgets about this, and I'm the only one doing it, the better.

But all this talk about comparing the units has flushed me out.

I gotta tell you, I got mine from Chris Smith at Magicsmith, who is the kind of dealer that will compare the two models, and give you his honest opinion about their plusses and minuses, even if it means he ends up selling the cheaper one. Chris is also a performer, so he knows what counts when you do a comparison.

If you want an honest comparison, and a good price on the Time Machine (the aforementioned $99)give Chris a call.

Re: waterproofing, the instructions for my Time machine give me the impression that you can wash your hands and splash water on it accidentally with no problem, but don't take it swimming.

Now go work on something else! :)

Scott Orr

Postby Scott Orr » July 22nd, 2002, 5:14 pm

I own both Watch & Wear and Time Machine. Time Machine is a little better looking but they really look more alike than different. From the more important performance standpoint, Time Machine is more versatile in terms of control and is now my personal favorite method. For the money, you can't beat the effect or the quality of the watch. This has a killer impact on lay people and magicians alike.

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » July 25th, 2002, 5:11 am

I recently purchased "time machine" and was looking the instructions about changing the battery. I know I probably have awhile before the battery dies, (knock on wood) but I was a little confused about the changing of the battery. Can anyone explain the process of changing the battery for the "time machine" ?
thanks,

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2002, 7:54 am

It is easy. Just go down to a watch repair shop, and pay them to change it for you. Just tell them that it is not an ordinary watch, and to be careful.

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2002, 4:45 pm

Not being familiar with the method, I had the Time Machine demonstrated to me by a local dealer today, and I must say that I'm impressed. I was fooled. The only little gotcha was that as he set the prediction, I could see that he wasn't actually setting anything. However, the rest of his presentation had me completely off track. After learning the secret, I was sold by the fact that the method is as diabolical as any that I've seen.

I am not a big fan of mentalism effects,especially those that are long drawn out processes, but I'm planning on purchasing this in the next few days, as it is totally baffling, and, most importantly to me, the effect can be very quick, or can be as dramatic as I wish.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » July 25th, 2002, 8:07 pm

All right, all right you guys have convinced me. I will order mine and I will let you all know what I think of it. :D
Carlos Hampton

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » July 26th, 2002, 9:09 pm

I am having problems with my watch and was wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

Firstly after waiting five days to recieve it I received a watch that did not work. Sent it back - another few days and waited another five to get it finally this morning.

Okay now for the problem. I don't think I am revealing too much...

When I push the stem back in after reveling the correct time, the hands advance by as much as 15 minutes. It is tempermental - sometimes five, sometimes 15 and sometimes it is fine. I make sure I hold it correctly but it still happens. Obviously I cannot show the face again after this has happened. Anyone else have this problem? Should I send it back?

Also remove the brown strap and replace it with a two-tone (silver/gold) metal strap. Looks much better.

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2002, 9:17 pm

I can only assume that you bought The Time Machine. If the hands are jumping 5-15 minutes just because you push the pin back in, then you have a bad watch. That is WEIRD because I have sold over 80 watches, and only had a problem with 2.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » July 26th, 2002, 9:26 pm

Como on guys, don't start with problems, I just placed my order today!!!! :confused:
Carlos Hampton

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2002, 9:29 pm

Don't worry, Carlos. Look at my post right above yours. The odds on you getting a bad watch are slim.

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2002, 1:08 pm

I had "the time machine" demonstrated to me several days ago, and as I posted earlier, I was fooled by it, and then was impressed by it when the secret was revealed to me.

I just picked up mine today. In the store, as I was looking over the instructions, another magician asked what the effect was, and I performed it for him. It fooled him, and he spent a bit of time trying to figure out how I could have set the time without touching it. I just wanted to relate this, and to say that I'm even more impressed with it now that I own it. What a refreshing change, a prop that is valued because of what it is.

I have not performed much mentalism effects, but this effect will definitely be a part of my performances once I figure out the exact effect I want to present.

I like it because it looks like a quality timepiece that I would wear, and it is usable as a standard timepiece

My question is should I present the watch as a magical curiosity, or as my normal watch that I wear every day?

Mr. Regal, I'd love to hear your comments on your presentation.

Larry Horayne

Postby Larry Horayne » July 27th, 2002, 4:38 pm

In answer to 'how should I present this effect' let me re-post my presentation:

I never take the watch off my wrist. I show the spectator my watch has stopped, and as I pull out the stem, I ask for the correct time. From that point it's pure magic.

www.SandySinger.com
A DATE WITH SINATRA

David Regal

Postby David Regal » July 27th, 2002, 4:43 pm

As for my presentation, I'm still working on it, but I feel it has to be done fairly straight, as if I'm trying to imagine what time they are thinking of.

I set the watch, ask for the time, then do the hardest part - fill. Here's the steps I take to minimize the challenge: Early in the effect, when I asked tell to think of a time, I tell them the time should have some personal significance, but assure them they will not have to reveal what occurs or occured at that time. Later, needing to kill time, I talk to them about issues such as AM or PM, and ask if it is all right to talk about what the time means to them, or if it is a personal thing. I then say I missed by a little bit, but I had a quick image of them and I could see out a window in the background, which gave me an idea of the rough time...

In this way I get where I need to get. I show the watch, and if I'm off by a minute or two, I've already told them "I missed", so this is a better result then they were expecting. If I'm dead on, I say "See, I'm off by about 30 seconds..."

I hope this helps. As I say - I'm still fiddling.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » July 27th, 2002, 10:15 pm

I am thinking about coming from a different angle. That is to say you are not going to do a trick with a watch so mo emphasis is on it.

Imagine you need to do a trick - any trick. You roll up your sleeves, take off your watch and place it aside in order to be fair and prove the nothing up the sleeves ruse and be clean looking. Do that trick (whatever it may be that could fit in). During the trick say a number between 1 and 12 can be named and maybe counted down too if it was a card trick. Then a number between 1 and 60 could be then named. This does not have to be a card trick btw. At the end of your trick and climax, as an afterthought you mention that your watch has been put aside during the entire effect and 2 numbers were named: 7 and 21. You say that your battery went flat the other day and stopped at a particular time. The watch is turned over and is shown 7.21.

So, when you first put the watch aside casually, place it sitting upright and 'working'. Not too far away from your working surface as you will soon have to move it away as if it is in the way of your effect. Once you know the digits, keep an eye on the watch during your filler trick. At the right moment, move the watch aside and lay it on its side and do something where that watch lay - to justify you moving it. Maybe you had to ribbon spread the deck or make room to move an object or whatever. Then go back to the watch at the end for the climax.

My point is, I know this is not an instant way of presenting the effect and basically I am thinking out aloud as I type this now, but why do a trick with a watch? Why not do something else (not even mentioning the watch) and then as an afterthought mention the watch and show the climax. At no point has the watch been in play so no attention would be drawn to it until the 'work' is over.

The filler effect can be anything. Maybe blank cards with numbers or whatever.

Oh I don't know... just an idea. :)

You know what I mean..

.. I think.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » July 27th, 2002, 10:19 pm

Sorree four my spilling mistacks in my preeveeus post. Did knot prevuoo it :)

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”