"The Eye"

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

"The Eye"

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2004, 11:43 am

Did any see this product?? I like it alot but I am trying to make something just like it but I cant find the paper with the iron fillings in it.

http://www.doctorzodiac.com/store.html

If anyone can help me please let me know

Re: "The Eye"

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2004, 4:16 pm

Huh, thanks for the nice comments. If your interested in ripping off my idea then I have to shun you. The reason I stopped selling these is because it borders on an idea by Mr. Larry Becker and Lee Earle. Until I get a response from Larry Becker or Lee Earle, I have asked my suppliers not to make them. Its only hibernating, it'll probably be back in time. Since its my design for the wallet, and only out of ethics have I stopped selling them. I WILL PURSUE THIS LEGALLY IF YOU DESIDE TO MANUFACTURE ANY TYPE OF DEVICE HOUSED INSIDE A WALLET SIMULAR TO MINE! With that being said....

TTFN,
Doctor Zodiac
Please feel free to call me any time the office number forwards to my cell, check the website for details.

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2004, 4:20 pm

Well considering that there is no "paper with iron fillings" used for this, he is barking up the wrong tree anyway.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Supplying unique mentalism world-wide

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 23rd, 2004, 4:29 pm

Isn't this principle Cornelius', at least as far as magical applications go? And then Lee Earle came out with the Clone Pads in the early 90's? I don't know if you really have a legal leg to stand on if we are talking about the same principle. Adding it to a wallet, as opposed to a pad, is not a huge leap, and dare I say probably unpatentable as those with reasonable knowledge of the art would be inclined to think of gimmicked wallets given their history.

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2004, 4:35 pm

The gimmicked used is very unique if used in the same manner for the same principle in the same device, isn't this still theft?

I had changed the principle severly from the clone pad, yet I still feel morally obligated to ask for permission to sell any more. I still have a few, but in good moral standing I can't sell out. Notice how my concept sprang from necessity and I changed it, ripping off my idea is wrong!

Only time will tell. I just realized why magics still a secret.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 23rd, 2004, 9:56 pm

I am unsure what you meant.

I agree that to rip off someone else's idea is wrong. But I'm just trying to clarify how your creativity enters the history of this idea. The idea of using this method for design dup started with Earle (as I am aware) and is marketed now via he and Becker. I agree that it would be morally wrong for you to market a wallet using the same method, without the creator's permission. I think your pulling of the product was the smart idea. However, did your site claim that you patented this technique, or did I read that incorrectly? Also, I do not understand what legal claim you would have against someone who did market it in a wallet form. Seems to me that the beef would be from Lee and/or Larry.

Just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2004, 5:00 am

Doctor Zodiac,

I am not trying to make the same product I am trying to make something else. that I will not be selling anyway I am trying to make it for my act ONLY!!

I been trying to get one or more of your's. I seen it and I love it and I would love to use it in my act.

If you would like please contact me and we can talk about what I have in mind and also maybe you can sell me one of yours.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2004, 7:42 am

If this item uses an illuminating device inside the wallet to permit you to see the item through it, then the real ancestor is not John Cornelius'
"Thought Transmitter," but Tenyo's "Mind Scanner" from many years earlier.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2004, 8:17 am

No the Item does not work like that. Is a very very nice item to have

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 24th, 2004, 11:15 am

From my understanding, which is limited and the reason I have made these posts, is it is basically Lee's CLone Pad and Lee and LArry's Kopy Kat built into a wallet.

That technology, however, was first introduced into a magic effect (as far as I know) by Cornelius.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 24th, 2004, 12:32 pm

Sorry, forgot to add, it is not the illuminating technique. Cornelius used it with a hershey kiss being placed on a symbol, I think.

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2004, 3:22 pm

Hello gentlemen,

I am taking steps to patent it right now. I am running a U.S. Patent seach and will see if I truly have any rights to it. We'll see.

No illuminating device. I needed something for street work and nothing fit the bill. So I filled a gap in what I saw as a new market. Its clean simple and easy to use.

I am currently inbetween cities so I am not the easiest to contact, my life will be calmer in about 2-3 days.

All I can say is if you really are going to manufacture something, theres some research that should be put into it, a simple inquiry on a message board shouldn't suffice especially when we are such a secret society.

At least I'll cover this issue legally for future distributors, as I have heard many are trying to manufacture them. I am sorry if I sound grumpy but this isnt the first person trying to make a new impression device to approach me and say their trying to market the same idea.

TTFN,
Scott
p.s. for reference I'm alot older then what the picture shows on my site. lol

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2004, 9:14 pm

Originally posted by Scott Chenow:
I am taking steps to patent it right now. I am running a U.S. Patent seach and will see if I truly have any rights to it.
1. Unless you have done this many times before, or are a patent attorney, running your own patent search means absolutely nothing. Someone trained in the law and who has experience is necessary to prosecute a patent.

2. There isn't much overlap between patents, and magic ethics -- the results of a patent search won't inform you very much as to whether you "truly have any rights to it".

3. So what if it is patentable -- you will find out what many other inventors have before you. Getting a patent is expensive, and doesn't protect you from people who want to knock off your invention unless you are willing to take them to court (and spend more money). A patent is a license to sue -- nothing more. It doesn't mean the government will step in on your behalf and keep others from ripping off your idea -- you still will have to be your own police force. Unless you see a profit potential of tens of thousands of dollars, it won't be cost effective to patent this.

Postby Guest » March 25th, 2004, 8:03 am

I'm sure Horace Goldin is laughing from the grave :)
Getting a patent on a magic trick is next to worthless. History has shown this MANY times.
ted (Leondo)

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”