Mentalism performances

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Mentalism performances

Postby C. Hampton » September 22nd, 2002, 6:51 pm

I would like to know if anyone out there has a collection of mentalism performances. I am not looking for how to tapes, but rather to see mentalists in action.

I've heard a lot about Kreskin, Webster, Banacheck, Manor, Alberstat and Kurtz, but never have seen any of them perform. Well I've seen Kurtz but he was doing magic not mentalism.

I would like to see the different personas, how they handle their audiences, what kind of effects they choose to put together an entertaining show.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carlos Hampton ;)
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Re: Mentalism performances

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2002, 6:30 pm

I could easily help you Mr. Hampton. But I won't!

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » November 1st, 2002, 6:34 pm

Larry:

What do you mean by your answer?

Steve H

Postby Guest » November 1st, 2002, 7:29 pm

Steve-- Check my response to the attacks on my integrity in the previous post.

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2002, 8:08 am

I saw Lior Manor and Kurtz (when he was in Israel)
I saw David Berglas on TV.
I saw Bauer in a trade show.
They are very good
(I saw Larry do shows at magic conventions)

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » November 2nd, 2002, 5:08 pm

Hanan:

Your point is noted. However, professional mentalists would all say, I believe, that Larry Becker has contributed much to the highest levels of Mentalism.

Professional magicians would say, I believe, that Larry Becker has contributed much to the highest levels of mental magic.

Larry does not claim to be a "pure" psychic and, in fact, lectured to hundreds back in the '80s alongside Lee Earle as they presented opposing sides of the mental magic/Mentalism billet.

Though I have not seen you perform and have not read anything you have published, you have sounded, at times, credible. To insinuate that Larry Becker, though of a different style, is not of the level and capability of Manor, Kurtz, Berglas, and Bauer is ridiculous and potentially damaging to your believability, in my opinion.

Are you in some kind of cantankerous, querulous, and petulant mood that would lead to outbursts of this type? Or have you just had a bad day?

Steve H

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » November 2nd, 2002, 5:12 pm

Larry:

In the previous post, Carlos merely asked for a review of the new book. I don't believe he posted any of the negative comments.

Steve H

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2002, 10:28 pm

It was a bad day
sorry :genii:

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » November 4th, 2002, 4:57 am

Thank you Mr Hook.

All I am trying is to get information in a respectful way and I ended up being spanked with the rest of the attackers.

At no time Mr. Becker I said anything negative against you or your publication, and in difference of other I have contacted you directly, I think I deserve some credit for that.
Carlos Hampton

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2002, 12:34 pm

Carlos,
I don't know about "collections" but there are numerous television shows with all of the aforementioned performers including myself that are floating around. I am unaware of anyone that has a large collection of all our performances. One problem with television shows however is that they do not give you the best example of a live stage performance. Television shows are edited, and not designed the same way as alive performance. Even the audience responses are different and as such it would be very hard to learn "good structure of a show" in this manner.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft

Originally posted by Carlos Hampton:
I would like to know if anyone out there has a collection of mentalism performances. I am not looking for how to tapes, but rather to see mentalists in action.

I've heard a lot about Kreskin, Webster, Banacheck, Manor, Alberstat and Kurtz, but never have seen any of them perform. Well I've seen Kurtz but he was doing magic not mentalism.

I would like to see the different personas, how they handle their audiences, what kind of effects they choose to put together an entertaining show.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carlos Hampton ;)

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2003, 10:39 pm

Carlos,

When I first saw the post of "Larry Becker" to your original post, I was outraged by the snotty unprofessional reply. In fact, I was getting ready to report the post to Richard as being an imposter posing as Larry Becker. Why?

Two reasons: 1st, the person is unregistered and I have a hard time believing that the real Larry Becker would be unregistered. I have read many posts by Larry Becker on another forum (which shall go unnamed) and I have NEVER seen a post by him of such callousness and of such a "put-down" nature. 2nd, I find it difficult to believe that a professional of Larry Becker's stature and reputation would stoop so low as to post such a reply.

And after reading all of the posts on this topic (and failing to find the prior post that supposedly "set this person (Larry Becker?) off"), I am still having a hard time believing that the real Larry Becker posted that reply to you. I still believe that that reply was posted by an imposter.

Regardless as to the real identity of that poster, as a fellow magician, I am embarrassed by that reply and I apologize to you as a member of the profession for that un-called for and scurious attack.

Turk

Postby Guest » April 1st, 2003, 4:03 pm

I've seen Chan Canasta, Kreskin and Romark on TV or videotape. In the past 2 years I've seen Marc Salem performing about five times in formal shows, as well informally; Steve Cohen presenting his Parlour Magic Show with a strong mentalism element; Graham Jolley presenting his one-man show; all of Derren Brown's TV work plus I've seen him working informally; David Berglas in both formal and informal circumstances and some other British performers. I've seen Marc Paul on TV and I've also seen him working informally countless times (we're good friends). I'm coming to the States in June and I'm hoping to meet many other mentalists and hopefully see them work as well.

The 'Desert Brainstorm' tapes give you a good chance to see six and a half performers all presenting three effects, in very different styles.

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » April 3rd, 2003, 9:17 am

Turk,

thanks for your words. I do believe that the post was made by Mr Becker himself. It came about after another discussion about his reprint of the Stunners where some other members questions his ethics about the reprint of the book.

I was part of that discussion but at no time I questioned his integrity, or ethics in this issue because I did not have all the facts and I am no one to judge Mr Becker.

Well, to make a long story short is that he confused me with some of the attackers and that is why I got that reply.

After I pointed out the mistake to Mr Becker he did apoligized in a personal e-mail but did not take the time to ammend his original post or helped me in my request.

The reason why he is unregisterd I do not know.

Once again, thanks for your words.

sincerely,

Carlos Hampton
Carlos Hampton

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » April 3rd, 2003, 9:21 am

By the way,

I am still looking for help in this issue. If anyone of you would like to trade a tape of TV performances, I do have lots of performances from the famous spanish Mentalist "Anthony Blake".

Thanks,

Carlos
Carlos Hampton

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”