Max Maven's Kurotsuke

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Bennett

Max Maven's Kurotsuke

Postby Bennett » October 3rd, 2004, 9:07 am

I saw Max Maven here in NY, NY. Great show of course. It inspired me to take a look at the "Videomind" Tapes.

I loved "Kurotsuke" but I noticed that the explaination did not correspond with the performance.

I don't want to give anthing away so I'll be vague. In the perf he directly guesses which spec has the black ball between spec #4 and spec #5. "You've got the white stone." But the exp for this final describes something more equivocal.

Any comments on this are appreciated!
Thanks!

John LeBlanc

Re: Max Maven's Kurotsuke

Postby John LeBlanc » October 3rd, 2004, 9:19 am

Originally posted by bennettjc:

I don't want to give anthing away so I'll be vague. In the perf he directly guesses which spec has the black ball between spec #4 and spec #5. "You've got the white stone." But the exp for this final describes something more equivocal.
Before anyone answers, you're going to have to tell us on which syllable you put the emphasis when speaking the word "equivocal."

John LeBlanc

Bennett

Postby Bennett » October 3rd, 2004, 10:02 am

"cal" and that's my final answer!!

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 4th, 2004, 2:17 am

I perform the trick. Everything is there. You have to go to person # 4. Depending on what they have is where you take the trick. You either directly get it or you have a process of elimination. The secret is in the verbal deception and its not an easy trick. you can email me for specifics.

Bennett

Postby Bennett » October 4th, 2004, 7:20 am

Brian:
Thanks for the info and offer!

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2004, 2:29 pm

I wanted to check Max out in NYC, but it wasn't practical for me at this time.

Many of his clever ideas rely on equivoque and/or clever outs. Kurotsuke is one of the classics of this, as is his Positive/Negative coin force. I agree that the given Kurotsuke resoution is not obvious to everyone. It takes some management and timing to pull off.

These kind of endings provoke a lot of discussion, but I've never been too happy with most of the alternate solutions given.

Anyway, I've come up with an ending to Kurotsuke that has been well received by working mentalists. It is actually one of the simplist, most convincing (and also fun for the specs) resolution that you could do.

I'm including it (and my own Positive/Negative outs) in a booklet I'm writing about my take on mentalist standards.

These are only my variations/"improvements" on the effects, without actually revealing the published methods. So it's for experienced or knowledgable performers or collectors.

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » October 5th, 2004, 2:13 am

As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with neither the performance not the explanation on the tape. It all depends on the different out situation.

However for a perfectly clean and improved version of Kurotsuke, you should take a look at Charles Gauci's "Body Language". Same effect, however so much more clean in the handling. However also much more expensive.

Further, a totally clean and mindblowing version of the reverse effect. Imagine a spectator hiding his watch or another personal item under one of 5 cups. The performer returns to the room and reveals which one it is. No gimmicks, no stooge, no nothing except the ability to psycologicly "force" the spectator and using verbal "flourishes" (I prefer to call them that) to reveal the the hiding spot. Go to Rick Maue's Terasabos in his "Book of haunted magic".

Bennett

Postby Bennett » October 5th, 2004, 7:46 am

Adolphus:
Will you let us know when your booklet is available?

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2004, 8:27 pm

I too have performed Charles Gauci's "Body Language" and agree that it is much cleaner resolution-wise for the performer.

Of course the ultra clean scenario with "Body Language" is if the first spectator chooses the odd colored bead/ball ;) .

The props Charles supplies for this effect are intersting, well made and read well from a stage.

I can also say that Mr. Gauci is a fascinating and very nice guy offstage.

He was our houseguest while in the wilds of east Texas on his lecture about 2/12 years ago.
If you happen to read this Charles, Rene' and I are ready to come to Australia for vacation or rather "holiday".

Kindest regards,

Pete Mills

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2004, 11:02 am

MAX MAVEN will be lecturing at the Magic Apple in Studio City: NOVEMBER 18th at 7:00pm!!!!
Max will be teaching some BRAND NEW MENTALISM effects that have NEVER been taught or seen in Southern California! He is making up some EXCLUSIVE lecture notes for this lecture only! They will NOT be for sale ANYWHERE else! Max has not Lectured in Southern California in a LONG time. This is going to be a lecture NOT TO MISS! This lecture is going to be $30 per person if paid by October 23rd and $35 if paid after!
SEATS ARE EXTREMELY LIMITED!
Please call NOW to pay and reserve YOUR SEAT!

Any questions please call me -818-508-9921
The Magic Apple
11390 Ventura BLvd (2nd floor)
Studio City CA 91604

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”