Predicta

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Predicta

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2003, 12:46 pm

Hi,
I heard about this trick on Hank Lee's, and it says that it was a hit at FISM. For those at FISM, or those familiar with the trick, I'm curious as to your opinion/review for those that own it. Thanks.
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/p ... at=&page=1

El Mystico

Re: Predicta

Postby El Mystico » September 18th, 2003, 1:20 am

Hi;

I've just found this discussion of it
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... rum=109&15

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2003, 7:55 am

We in Chicago have had this since shortly after FISM thanks to Tim Felix of Midwest Magic who bought what he could and brought it back.

According to Tim, Max Maven went back to see Predict a half dozen times and seemed to be rather perplexed.

I have only performed it twice, but the reactions were strong. It plays quite well for a small group (8 or so) where 4 different individuals can freely select their own two-digit number (in order no less).

This is an unbelievable effect utilizing a new principle. With luck, it will not be tipped anytime soon.

:cool:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 18th, 2003, 9:40 am

"Predicta" is a stunning trick, but it's not easy by any means and there are lots of details that need to be worked out on your own.
I do not believe that Max Maven had to watch it several times in order to figure it out.
Danny Orleans reviews it in our November issue.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2003, 9:56 am

I wholeheartedly agree with Richard on both handling and "practice," but do not want to tip more, other than to say that I find much of the difficulty removed by working around a group and having a number of individuals provide the two-digit numbers.

:cool:

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » September 24th, 2003, 2:28 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I do not believe that Max Maven had to watch it several times in order to figure it out.
In fact, I watched it once. Thought it was quite clever, and told a couple of people that it was worth going over to see. Tim Felix sent out an e-mail pitch wherein he stated that I'd gone to the booth to see it six times. I contacted Tim, and asked where he got that information. He told me it came directly from the dealer...

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » September 26th, 2003, 11:21 am

OK,m I've now got this. it works. It has got a very very strong reaction. and the idea is clever.

There is, as others have highlighted, a weak point, in the "set up".

I personally have got round this by asking other people in the audience to also guess the number being thought of.

for what it is worth.

But the astonishment is only comparable to Deep AStonishment, in my experience.

Postby Guest » September 29th, 2003, 5:37 am

Predicta is one of those tricks that has the same quality as vine - it gets better with time.
When I first heard about the effect at FISM and saw the lottery card (which the spectator gets to keep) it sounded awesome. When I saw the effect performed at the booth, I was less impressed, albeit I still think it's a good trick.
This is one of those effects you should do rarely and then let the effect travel and grow by the word of mouth.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 29th, 2003, 8:23 am

The demonstrations of "Predicta" at FISM were NOT very good. The person doing it made unnecessarily large movements because of the manner in which he was doing the double duty (so to speak). That's why I knew that Max didn't have to watch it repeatedly to figure it out.
It doesn't have to be that way.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Doug Dyment

Postby Doug Dyment » September 29th, 2003, 9:09 am

Even the posted video demo makes the details of the handling pretty obvious; you can tell what is happening at every step if you watch critically. The only thing omitted is the physical makeup of the card itself.

... Doug
... Doug :: Proprietor of The Deceptionary

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”