cassandra deck and double vision

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

cassandra deck and double vision

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2003, 4:41 pm

hi. can anyone tell me some information about the cassandra deck and becker's and earl's new double vision book test. any info would be appreciated, these effects are highly priced so i would like to know a little more before i purchase them. the cassandra deck says that it is in bicycle and ungimmicked with no misprinted faces or nothing but that you can do a toss out deck and card at any number.

Bill Mullins

Re: cassandra deck and double vision

Postby Bill Mullins » July 17th, 2003, 3:48 pm

The Cassandra Deck is Docc Hilford's. He just lectured here and did a couple of effects with it. (Great Lecture, by the way). It is gaffed, there are no misprinted or custom printed cards, but one-half of the cards have been physically altered. You could build one yourself, but if your time is worth anything, you'd be better off buying on from Docc. His email is

cocktail@stis.net

He also sells a booklet with 64 (I think) effects using it.

The secret isn't mine to give, but Docc struck me as a very generous guy, so if you were to email him, he might tell you exactly what it is. It can be used for Tossed Out Deck, forcing, revealing a peeked/glimpsed card, many Si Stebbins effects.

It is built on "Prior Art" but is a substantial improvment.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 17th, 2003, 4:23 pm

I think the Cassandra Deck either has already been, or is about to be, reviewed in Genii. All the reviews of Hilford's stuff in Genii have been positive for the most part.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tony Razzano

Postby Tony Razzano » July 17th, 2003, 5:20 pm

I am very familiar with the Cassandra Deck ( although I don't own one).

I don't use cards, but if I did, this would be one of two decks I would use (not in the same performance). It is very good. As Bill points out, it is very versitile.

I am waiting for delivery of Double Vision and will review it when it gets here and I've had a chance to use it for a lay audience.

best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
Tony Razzano

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2003, 12:17 am

Effect wise it sounds a lot like bernstien's deck. Can anyone compare the two?

J

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 24th, 2004, 2:04 pm

I've been doing some research on trick decks and came across The Cassandra Deck (once a whopping $100, now $55 or $25 depending on many factors).

The ads say the deck can be ribbon spread across the table to show all 52 cards.

Apollo gave Cassandra the gift of prophecy but he also decreed that she would never be believed.

Since I know the method, I can't believe the Cassandra deck can be spread to show 52 cards. Am I missing something or should I call Apollo?

Bob Taxin

Postby Bob Taxin » November 24th, 2004, 2:23 pm

Can it be ribbon spread? Yes. Can you leave it out for more than a few seconds, no.

Bob Taxin

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 24th, 2004, 4:27 pm

Bob, the ad reads:

"The deck can be ribbon spread on a table to show all 52 cards."

The implication is that you can show 52 DIFFERENT cards -- obviously, given the method, this is impossible (actually one dealer ad does say you can show 52 different faces).

I think the ad goes a bit too far and is misleading.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » November 25th, 2004, 1:08 pm

Docc gave me one of the original Cassandra Decks from the days he was selling them for $100. Simply put, it is the best pumping deck on the market - far above the Koran Deck - but beyond that, it can be used for a variety of different effects, some of which are demonstrated and explained on the L&L DVD. More are explained in his book.

I've used the deck many dozens of times and if it is handled like it is a regular deck, there is no need to worry about being caught out, ribbon spreads or not.

The DVD is regularly available on eBay for $25 or so. Instructions are given on how to make your own deck. I did the interviews on the DVD and we had a lot of fun doing it.

Frankly, I'm sorry this has become more public as it is a strong device in the hands of an experienced performer.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 26th, 2004, 9:39 am

I've looked at the book you can buy separately, FEM FATAL -- 64 Sinful Secrets with the Cassandra Deck. It's a bit pricey, but there are several very interesting ideas.

Also, a Rudy Hunter ploy for using a Himber Wallet as an index is used in several effects and is very clever.

The system for discerning the thought card is standard.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » November 27th, 2004, 1:14 pm

Bob,

Forgive me, but $35 for a book that explains how to make a $25 trick deck and then details 64 different tricks with it is not "a bit pricey." It's cheap.

I know of no trick deck that will withstand an inspection, but, as I said, if the Cassandra Deck is handled like a regular deck, there is little to no suspicion. I've used it dozens of times without any heat directed towards the deck and I've watched Docc do several different effects, one after the other, with the Cassandra Deck without problem.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”