electronic marvels

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

electronic marvels

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2004, 7:54 am

Hello, when I was surfing on the web I have seen a new website. http://www.fabricedelaure.com
I 've looked at the gimmicks and I am really interrested in Pocket Akana . Just Imagne it will allow us to guess any cards thanks to micro electronics and it looks really easy ! What do you think of ? It seems to be a little expensive.
Say me your opinion...

Thank you !

Ho ! and Happy new Year !

Re: electronic marvels

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2004, 12:09 pm

If you rely on electronics, they will go bad when you need them most.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 9:01 am

I wrote this up in one of my booklets as an inexpensive signaling device; it went something like this.

If you want to try electronic devices... you'll most likely need a partner/assistant to feed the information to you. I have written this elsewhere but it is worth repeating. You can use things like cell phones with text messaging and or pagers also with text messaging. All you need to do now is have your assistant fed the message/text to you and you glimpse it as you turn your back on the audience. BTW there is also a pager watch out on the market, its backlit and would make a pretty cool effect just to have yourself locked in a wooden/metal box, outside the box a line of people each pass a large board and write a number on the board. From inside the box after the board is filled numbers 20-30 and the line is seated you begin to call out the numbers one by one and in order the box can be checked for and microphones, speakers, listening devices, peep holes, etc. nothing will be found. Your assistant simply dials your pager from his/her cell phone and punches in all of the numbers for you to read aloud. If your pager has a limit he or she calls back several times. This could be a nice effect, if played up right

Hopefully someone will use it remember me if you do and let me know how it turns out.

Ken

BTW this is in no way a marvel... just something I thought I'd share

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2005, 10:20 pm

I have plenty of electronic effects and they have never failed me.

Electronic Crasher is one I have and has never failed me.

Akana is one of the few I don't have so I can't really tell you whether that is reliable.

It seems to mee if it wasn't reliable you could sew the company for thousands and I don't think fabrice delaure would risk it.

By the way I think their new shop is part of hocus-pocus.

If you're interested in electronic effects here are some of the ones I often use all of which can be found on hocus-pocus:

psychic compass
psychic clipboard
lotto fortuna club
mystic ouija board
omega mental act
electronic crasher

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2005, 7:34 am

Let's see... Sam Haine can tell you of his woes when depending too much on electronic gadgets as can many others. My favorite story is about the guy that bought all kinds of electronic stuff from a noted supplier and when faced with power failure, couldn't do more than 15 minutes worth of material in a show that was supposed to run 60+.

Electronics are fun and I love them, but you really need to follow the rule of having two of everything, so that there is a back-up unit in the wings, so to speak. This is exactly why pyro artists always have double loads, incase the primary don't work; and why many performers have a complete second act... in case one gets lost in shipping, or damaged.

They are neat and awesome when they work, but I've learned the hard way, not to depend upon them too terribly much.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 2nd, 2005, 9:26 am

Originally posted by Craig Browning:
My favorite story is about the guy that bought all kinds of electronic stuff from a noted supplier and when faced with power failure, couldn't do more than 15 minutes worth of material in a show that was supposed to run 60+.
Hang on a sec. He was using mains power? Or every single battery he had failed? I assume the former. I don't know much about electronic magic but I can't remember seeing something that needed mains to work...

Who was the performer?

Any idea what these mains powered props were going to do for 45 minutes?

Also how did anyone see if all the lights were out?

Damian

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 2nd, 2005, 9:28 am

Originally posted by Paul Alberstat:
If you rely on electronics, they will go bad when you need them most....
I rely on my mind. It's been on vacation for years, though sends me occasional postcards.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2005, 10:08 pm

Stevens Magic Emporium used to sell the Akana, but ended their relationship with Fabrice DeLaure on February 1, 2005. Here's the relevant excerpt from page 18 of their February 2005 products supplement:

"A number of our customers have reported electronic problems with these products, and the process of attempting to resolve these problems has been frustrating. Whatever, the cause, we decided the best course under the circumstances was to discontinue our relationship with Fabrice DeLaure."

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » August 5th, 2005, 6:20 am

Fred Kaps used to say: Electronic stuff is a substitute for talent

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 5th, 2005, 8:14 am

Then you would have to assume that Fred Kaps never saw Del Ray.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”