Who is the greatest today

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Who is the greatest today

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2005, 5:12 pm

Curious as to who you thought the greatest mentalist alive today is?

I rate Osterlind and Maven way up there. Does anyone have other opinions

Richard Hatch

Re: Who is the greatest today

Postby Richard Hatch » October 4th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Those are both high on my list, too, but I'd add Derren Brown and Banachek, among others... Tim Conover, Bob Cassidy... The Evasons... Different styles, all of them...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 4th, 2005, 7:56 pm

Originally posted by gcostanza:
Curious as to who you thought the greatest mentalist alive today is?
What are your criteria for greatness?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 4th, 2005, 8:16 pm

How much money they make, right?
Stay tooned.

Gord

Postby Gord » October 4th, 2005, 10:05 pm

I've got a place in my heart for Kreskin. I remember watching his TV series as a kid and being just blown away. I've got tickets to see him next year so I hope he's still got the old magic.
For pure entertainment value I'd go with the Evasons. Their show was a joy to watch. I always thought watching a woman just standing on stage naming whatever was in her husbands hand would be boring to watch, but they have this energy about them that they pass on to their audience.
Finally, I'll just throw Max Maven in there again. Saw him in a lecture a few weeks ago and he was outstanding. His thinking is out of this world, his performance was straightforward and entertaining and he answered every question put to him in great detail. (How many lecturers do that?)

Gord

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2005, 3:52 am

Perspective is everything!

When it comes to performers I'd have to agree with much of what's been said thus far but when it comes to those behind the scenes that have made some of the greatest contributions to the craft... well, I have to go with Webster, Banachek (again), Knepper, Jermay, and one particular "under dog" that's frequently forgotten named Millard Longman.

These are the guys that are laying the foundation to what Mentalism will be, as well as preserving, in many instances, what Mentalism was prior to the current trends and rhetoric we've seen of late.

I guess we need to toss Bob Cassidy in there too, given his hard work at "correcting" some of the misconceptions held by the general magic society when it comes to Mentalism and the performance thereof (not that many actually listen to what he's been saying).

One other performer I'll toss in there, more as "someone to be watched" is Jon Stetson.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » October 5th, 2005, 5:33 am

If 'career longevity' is considered any indication of 'greatness', England's Graham P. Jolley has been performing his mentalism for major corporate clients in Europe since the early 1970s.

I've never had the good fortune of seeing him perform, but from what I can gather he's certainly a gifted and experienced performer.

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2005, 8:47 am

Ross Johnson.

BAnzai

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 5th, 2005, 11:16 am

I am preferential to Brian Marks

David Roth is probably the best coin guy. I like Ricky Jay.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 5th, 2005, 11:49 am

Originally posted by Brian Marks:
I am preferential to Brian Marks

David and Ricky do mentalism?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » October 5th, 2005, 12:32 pm

Falkenstein and Willard put on a good show.

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2005, 1:03 pm

Ross Jognson, Gil Eagles and Marc Salem
from
Ford

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » October 17th, 2005, 9:51 am

Heck, I'll wade in.

Of course, it all boils down to the definition of greatness. After being in the business for many years, my idea of greatness has a very practical side to it. Yes, a person's act or performance needs to be entertaining, or in our case, "mind-boggling," but it also needs to be CONSISTENT from performance to performance.

I've seen many actors and entertainers give isolated "great" performances, but they are often erratic, and you don't know if their next show is going to be of the same caliber as the one you just saw. This is upsetting to an audience member, and a nightmare to a booker or client.

In my opinion, the "great" performers are those who deliver quality performances consistently. Just who these performers are, I will leave to you to decide.

But think of it this way--when assessing "greatness," imagine that you're going to book this "great" performer to appear at your parent's 50th anniversary party.

Now how "great" are they?

Fred Zimmerman

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 17th, 2005, 12:31 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
Originally posted by Brian Marks:
[b] I am preferential to Brian Marks

David and Ricky do mentalism? [/b]
They could do a two person act, at least they more openly could.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » October 18th, 2005, 1:36 pm

The Evasons must be seen to be believed.

There are a lot of great workers out there, but Jeff and Tessa made me believe in what they were doing.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2005, 11:18 pm

There are a lot of great names on this list. But, for me, there's just one.

Max Maven. I put him right on top as an entertaining performer and mentalist.

But add to that the quality and quantity of his creations and writings and I don't think anyone else is in that league.

Denny Loomis

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » October 19th, 2005, 6:32 am

My nominees for top mentalist in terms of utter astonishment, showmanship and ingenuity, pragmatism and cunning boldness goes to

1) Richard Osterlind (astonishment, showmanship and ingenuity, pragmatism)
2) Barrie Richardson (astonishment, showmanship and cunning boldness)

Yes, I agree Banacheck, Maven, Knepper, Yamilovich, Ted Lesley, Larry Becker, Lee Earle etc could be up there too, however Osterlind and Richardson stands out in my humble opinion - I'm just constantly impressed with these two gentlemen.

However, I never witnessed Chan Canasta and alot of other fine gentlemen within mentalism, so I couldn't really say.

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2005, 9:10 am

I have seen only a few mentalism acts but the one that stands out the most was when I saw Tim Conover perform for a decent size lay audience back in April 1991.

He was very entertaining and the material he performed would have probably convinced even the most skeptical layman.

As a matter of fact, I didn't even realize that Tim conover did any kind of sleight of hand stuff with coins and cards until much later.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 19th, 2005, 9:27 am

Originally posted by Dennis Loomis:
There are a lot of great names on this list. But, for me, there's just one.

Max Maven. I put him right on top as an entertaining performer and mentalist.
I agree with that.

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2005, 4:02 pm

Who is the greates classical composer? who is the greatest jazz musician? who is hte greates actor or brick layer or house painter? why does there have to be a "best" of anything?

Any and all opinions aer going ot be subjective. If you read the Jim Steinmeyer book Hididng the ELephant we are only now finidng out that Houdini was much less than the worlds greatest anything he happened to have been a a good advertsing person showman and as a magician he was less mediocre as an escape artist he was a little above average. Yet he is still being called teh worlds greates by most laymen.

Miles Davies had a hell of a remper when he was alive. You mentioned worlds greatest to him in jazz and he would either strike you with his trumpet and or leave the room immediatley. In Magic unfortuntaley the fish mongering school of exploitation every poster and banner has to have the greatest oif acheivements etc. Maybe thats why magic books are relegated to the games section in bookstores rather than theater or performing arts.

The best? It could be the 15 year old kid in Ohio whom no one has heard of yet because he cant get enough money together to participate at magic conventions.

Peace

ZSE

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » October 21st, 2005, 6:24 pm

That's the greatest reply

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 21st, 2005, 10:37 pm

It might just be Rafeal Benetar.

Postby Guest » October 28th, 2005, 7:36 pm

Don't forget CRISSANGELMINDFREAK! (Series Premiere Wednesday July 20, 10 PM)

Seriously, there are so many different types of mentalists and "mentalisms," if that's a word, you'd almost have to create categories and subcategories.

Like when someone asks, "what's your favorite album?"

shaena engle

Postby shaena engle » November 13th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Derren Brown is the best that I have seen. Though he doesn't perform card magic for the general public anymore, he is also one of the best card magicians I have ever seen.

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2005, 7:33 pm

I didn't know he did close up magic at all. Did you get to see him perform at a lecture?

shaena engle

Postby shaena engle » November 13th, 2005, 7:41 pm

I was out to dinner a while ago in London with Lennart Green, Guy Hollingworth, and Mr. Brown. I was lucky enough to get a private performance from all three during after dinner drinks.

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2005, 9:26 pm

I would say, Marc Salem....

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2005, 10:32 pm

Im not sure about greatest, since the answer is largly subjective.

But I will offer this: The three mentalists I enjoy watching the most are Brown, Kurtz, and Maven.

THese are the three I enjoy watching the most right now.

Im not talking about which guys come up with the best presentations or effects, just my fav to watch.

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2006, 3:38 am

My vote is with Max Maven & Bob Cassidy. Am not sure if I will be genuinely able to choose between the two!

I discovered Bob only pretty recently, but have this special place for Max who I believe inspired me into magic & mentalism (other than Mandrake the magician, i.e.)

Nakul

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2006, 4:29 pm

Richard Osterlind is one of the best for sure. I also like Docc Hilford as a performer, he has a lot of personality. Max Maven without question just based on all the work he's put into mentalism all these years alone.

Anabelle

Postby Guest » January 23rd, 2006, 4:17 pm

As has been stated before, this is an entirely subjective question and post, but IMHO, while there are many interesting and entertaining performers (Jermay, Brown, Maven, et al), there is nobody whose writing compares to Bob Cassidy. Whether you really connect with a particular performance style is to a large degree dependent on your age, background, etc. (Do you listen to Frank Sinatra, Greenday or Prince? All excellent performers). But great writing is much less subjective. There are very few writers in the magic or mentalism field who can string two sentences together, even some very creative minds. Bob is an excellent and entertaining writer and a first rate mind in the field.

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2006, 5:19 am

I saw Maven at the Festival of Magic in Daytona last November and he is the man! He is the consummate performer and he gets my vote. Carl Ballantine (although he is no mentalist) was also great and seeing him in person was a treat!
Cheers,
Dom :D :)

Magicbob

Postby Magicbob » March 1st, 2006, 1:49 pm

MaxMaven ichi-ban de-gozaimasu

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2006, 9:02 am

The greatest alive, Max Maven also like Larry Becker. The best mentalist ever (non-living) would have to be Dunninger,,,

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2006, 7:00 pm

Max will be in Studio CIty, ca for a BRAND new lecture next Thursday March 9th.
Seats are $35 per person and are still available.

Call the Magic APple to reserve a seat, this is going to be a big one! 818-508-9921

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”