Best Pocket Mentalism Tricks

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Best Pocket Mentalism Tricks

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2004, 12:39 pm

I would like to hear from others on whats the best procket Mentalism tricks to have on you all the time??

Re: Best Pocket Mentalism Tricks

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2004, 4:28 pm

Sorry if this sounds like a plug BUT the Jack Dean effect OBJECTIVE is one to carry with you all the time.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2004, 7:36 pm

I like Larry Becker's Perplexing ESP Plaques the version that comes with Larry's "Sneaky Two" a version of his Sneak Thief by the way Sneak Thief is also explained in the notes that come with the effect... this is a nice effect because it is more than just one effect... you can do tons of routines everything from design duplication to straight up mind reading using the same set of plaques (they are like mini clip boards, that you can either write directly on or you could do as I do and use the small 1 3/8 X 1 /7/8 inch Post-it notes the Post-its are nice because when doing a design duplication, something like Sneaky Thief you can give the Post-it to the spectator as a souvenir other than I like writing directly onto the black plastic board with silver Sharpie, it cleans off with a alcohol wipe and really looks cool, that said the Post-it works best for table hopping or street performing as it allows you a quick reset) using five to do the perplexing ESP plaques effects or cutting it back to four to do some of the Sneak Thief/Sneaky Two and the best part is the set only cost $20.00 it comes with the five mini clip board/black plastic plaques, two booklet explaining the various effects, two sets of labels so that you can mark them in a way that works best for you. These are currently being offered thru Hocus Pocus, Elmwoodmagic.co and many other online dealers. Before buying them you might want to ask your dealer if these are the ones that came from Murphy's and if they come with both the Perplexing ESP Plaques and the Sneaky Two booklets, if they don't keep shopping... or go direct to Murphy's to see who is carrying this set. So far there are only a hundred sets out there of each the close-up and Jumbo plaques, Im not sure if any more will be made or not I do know there are no more Jumbo Plaques, and no more will be made.

As far as a prop that can be used for more than just one trick this is a nice prop, like a deck a cards these are only limited by your imagination

Hope this helps

Ken

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2004, 2:21 am

As Post It notes were mentioned, I should say that I ALWAYS carry Post It notes with me. By their very nature there is a lot you can do with them. They're commonplace, small, and extremely useful.

I even wrote a book about it once, which you can see here:

http://www.magic-notes.com/thenotes/det ... duct_id=46

Gary Freed

Postby Gary Freed » August 5th, 2004, 6:58 am

Bill Goldman's "Mental Yarn". Have the lists printed onto the back of your business card and leave them with the second one (only). They will only remember they had a choice of 10 items.

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2004, 9:30 am

I was just at my local magic shop and I found out about a hot new product called "Calendar of the Minds". It great and only 50 of them are going to be made. I ordered one the product will ship late next week.

Heres the details:
Take your pocket sized calendar and place it on the table in front of a spectator. Ask the spectator to pick any day of the year, birthday, anniversary, etc. Give him a chance to change it, maybe selecting a day that is more important. Then, give him your pocket sized calendar. Explain that every day has a label with a different object named, for instance: keys, a tiger, a train, etc. Have the spectator look up his date. You then ask the spectator to think about the object listed on the selected date.

Then, you read the spectators mind and tell him what type of object hes thinking about. Ask if you are right. When he answers, have him take out an envelope from the calendar and hand it to you. You open the envelope. Inside is a card with your prediction of the exact object listed on the selected day. No two calendars are the same!

You have to see it. I am going to have it will me all the time

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2004, 9:44 am

It should be noted that "Bill Goldman's" Mental Yarn, is not Bill Goldman's. It was the brain child of Ned Rutledge.

Jon Stetson

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2004, 11:24 pm

Originally posted by Jonny Maxx:
I was just at my local magic shop and I found out about a hot new product called "Calendar of the Minds". It great and only 50 of them are going to be made. I ordered one the product will ship late next week.

Heres the details:
Take your pocket sized calendar and place it on the table in front of a spectator. Ask the spectator to pick any day of the year, birthday, anniversary, etc. Give him a chance to change it, maybe selecting a day that is more important. Then, give him your pocket sized calendar. Explain that every day has a label with a different object named, for instance: keys, a tiger, a train, etc. Have the spectator look up his date. You then ask the spectator to think about the object listed on the selected date.

Then, you read the spectators mind and tell him what type of object hes thinking about. Ask if you are right. When he answers, have him take out an envelope from the calendar and hand it to you. You open the envelope. Inside is a card with your prediction of the exact object listed on the selected day. No two calendars are the same!

You have to see it. I am going to have it will me all the time
This sounds like a variation of Bbb Cassidy's Telepathic Diary....

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2004, 11:06 am

Actually the diary trick has been around a lot longer than Bob's idea. Bob did remove the deck of cards and in fact has removed them completely from his latest incarnation BUT the idea of the diary is NOT a new one but a very old one.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft

Postby Guest » August 8th, 2004, 7:09 pm

hello i would advise my own effect named "astrological sign", this is the text that are in the shops adds:( i have to say that there are a few units in the shops that are with some spelling mistakes, so if you have or decide to buy it and get some unit with this problem, send me a mail to ekozuch@kadima.com.ar and i will send you the rights pages)
Astrological Sign by Eduardo Kozuch Know Your Spectator's Zodiac Sign and Date of Birth! The performer hands a spectator a small notebook which contains all the signs of the Zodiac. The spectator secretly finds his astrological sign and writes down his name. Despite the fact that the performer never sees the spectator's sign, and without any "fishing" or moves, the performer instantly names the spectator's sign of the Zodiac! Next, the spectator looks through the book and finds the page numbered with the year of his birth. Again, without any questions or moves, the performer instantly knows the day and month in which the spectator was born!

* No questions
* Easy to perform
* Spectator freely handles all of the props
* Fits in your pocket

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2004, 11:25 pm

I don't know if the "serious" mentalists amoungst us would agree but my fav pocket mental miracle is John Cornelious' Thought Transmitter.
Use Post-it's<with your buisness info imprinted on them> for spectators part and do your prediction on a cocktail napkin. At end stick Post -it on the prediction and they have a souvenior and a memory of YOU.
KW

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » August 10th, 2004, 7:51 am

1) A business card and a peek
2) A billet and a CT
3) A prediction and a small pencil to do some PW
4) My two favorite effects with Osterlinds BCS system
5) My favorite Street version of the Invisible Deck, where I try to force the color choice and then Pump/Read them before I actually reveals the turned over card. If my reading is 100% (and it happens - thanks to Banachek - thank you) then I do not reveal the turned over card.
6) If there is a paperback book lying with a tourist on a cafe table I do Richard Bush's "Paperbacked thought projection" - which someone would call a booktest - but Richard Busch taught me to dislike the word "Test". It's mind reading - thats what it is.

Oh and by the way, a simple peek and a well presented mind reading can be the most awesome of all mentalism. Presentation and patter - think of it in details.

Hope this answered part of your question.

-----------------------
"Presentation is to the Mentalist, what "Sleigh of Hand" is to the magician".

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2004, 5:19 pm

I hate to part with this, but...Ray Grismer's Janus Predictions from Spectacle. All you need is the coins in your pocket and you can perform an incredible triple prediction.

I've used it for about 10 years and it kills.

Ben S

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2004, 4:02 am

Nothing! The magic is in the spectators mind and not in your pockets.

I always find it amazing to think about how many effects you can perform with almost nothing. If you can find a book then do a booktest. A simple switch can be used for a bill divination. Magicians choice and PATEO. Center tear. Buisness cards. Etc etc.

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2004, 9:37 am

How do the folks here feel about Bill Abbott's "Mind Control" and Anthony Miller's "Keyed Up"?
These are two "pockcet tricks" which even share an item literally typically found in most anyone's pocket, a keychain.

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2004, 1:00 pm

Keyed up, is an excellent effect. Basic but a good close-up quickie. Not really mentalism, as it is mor e mental magic.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft

Postby Guest » September 29th, 2004, 1:50 am

Hi,
I'm not new to magic but I am new to mentalism. A lot of good points mdae here.

Paul, can you tell me the difference between mentalism and mental magic?

What's "a CT",what's "PW" and what's "PATEO"?

Sorry if I'm being thick :-)

Postby Guest » September 29th, 2004, 3:29 am

Originally posted by James Fortune:
What's "a CT"?
Centre Tear

Originally posted by James Fortune:
what's "PATEO"?
Point At Two, Eliminate One - it's a force

Dave

Postby Guest » September 29th, 2004, 3:38 pm