effects using scrabble?

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

effects using scrabble?

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2005, 4:23 pm

I am working on an idea for an effect using scrabble tiles. I am curious if there are other effects out there using scrabble tiles...my guess if there are, but a quick search didn't turn up any...

Thanks!

Re: effects using scrabble?

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2005, 4:34 pm

There are effects using Runes (Bizarre magic) that may be applicable (including at least one book / pamphlet, but I don't recall the name)--change bags, double--sided tiles, Bobo switches and the like were the methods.

The PATEO force also may suggest plot ideas.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » January 3rd, 2005, 4:35 pm

Check out the book Tricks Of My Trade - The Magic of Doug Conn. It has Scramble , a brilliant "shadow coins" style assembly using Scrabble tiles. On a repeat of the effect the tiles actually spell out what they are doing!

You can view Doug performming it on his website:
http://www.dougconn.com/videos.htm
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2005, 5:52 pm

Check oput an effect called, if memory serves correctly, "Four Sided Triangle" from The Red Book of Mentalism by Max Maven.

My wife and I had Charles Gauci as a houseguest a couple of years ago I made a gift of the above mentioned book along with the big Anverdi book to him.

Needless to say I'm now searching for both on e-bay!

Hope this helps

Pete

Bill Wheeler

Postby Bill Wheeler » January 3rd, 2005, 7:28 pm

In "Theater of the Mind" Barrie Richardson has an effect using Scrabble tiles....it is called "Alphabet Mentalism"
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2005, 6:27 am

Dan Harlan has an effect (Irony of the Arts) that combines a few different elements for a card revelation, but it uses a bag full of Scrabble tiles. It's on his "Games People Play" video.

Bennett

Postby Bennett » January 4th, 2005, 7:26 am

Pete:
I checked the "Red Book Of Mentalism" and "Four Sided Triangle" doesn't involve scrabble. It is a great effect though. We're you thinking about modifying it to involve scrabble?

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2005, 1:20 pm

checked the "Red Book Of Mentalism" and "Four Sided Triangle" doesn't involve scrabble
There is a Maven effect that uses Scrabble tiles (and I think it's in the Color series... if not, perhaps in his 'Notions' Notes?)

Perhaps someone (lucky enough) to own a full Maven collection (or perhaps Max himself) will chime in with the correct reference (my experience with the above is limited to late night reading on the couch of a magi-friend.)

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2005, 1:32 pm

Hi everyone,

There is allready an effect with this. look at; http://www.martinsmagic.com/?html=full& ... ords=isnew

Hope this helps you.

Richard

Bennett

Postby Bennett » January 5th, 2005, 7:27 am

D. Conn:

For what it is worth.... I read elsewhere a rumor that Hermetic Press will be publishing Max Maven's color series.

Bennett
NY NY

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » January 5th, 2005, 8:43 am

Check also In :

Lorayne, Harry: Apocalyse Volumes 16-20
January 1993 - December 1997

on page 2211 Psychic Scrabble (Michael DeMarco): Magician predicts a word selected from a grid of Scrabble letters

Hope this helps,
Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2005, 11:29 pm

Thanks for the interesting responses...the effect I am working on would be different than what I've seen posted here...

A spectator would be presented with a bag of scrabble tiles. They would be shown that the tiles are all well-represented; it's a complete set, with all the letters. they would then reach in the bag (which they hold- and the bag is normal and ungimmicked), and without looking select seven tiles (the standard scrabble procedure). They would then, obviously out of sight of the performer- concoct the best word they can(i.e. most points possible)using those letters.

Performer will know the word with the barest minimum of fishing; 2 guesses would do it most likely, and in most cases he/she would hit the word immediately if they wish- This could be presented in any number of ways: psychic persuasion, prediction, mind-reading, etc, etc.

I have what I think is a clever method, and if the bags of scrabble tiles I purchased on eBay will ever arrive (!) I will get to work on it right away...

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » January 6th, 2005, 12:53 am

I remmember a few years ago seeing someone doing a "chink a chink" with scrabble tiles.... was interesting... but forgot who it was...

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 6th, 2005, 1:22 am

That would be Doug...

Take care, Ian

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » January 6th, 2005, 1:56 pm

I just got the emailyesterday from Hermetic press about "Prism," Max's re-publication of the collected color series.

Fred Z.

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2005, 11:28 pm

You can view Doug performming it on his website:
BTW: This effect is also part of the online TOMT preview.

If you're interested in learning the routine...
Go here: Tricks of My Trade - E-book preview

There are two excerpts from the book; Chameleon Sandwich and Scrambble

Note: there are vid-clips of both effects on the forementioned video page

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2005, 12:59 am

Just got TOMT for Christmas and it's excellent. Also those samples are two of the best "giveaways" I've ever seen-- certainly got my attention.
Got here pretty quick too!
Thanks
Neil

p.s. I've seen a Scrabble game here somewhere with Japanese hiragana characters---can't wait to try it.

Postby Guest » January 7th, 2005, 8:59 am

Theatre of the mind has a nice scrabble like routine . It resembles a tossed out deck effect. Worth a read.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”