Real Hypnotism Question

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Jonathan Townsend

Real Hypnotism Question

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 24th, 2005, 9:26 am

Can you put an apple on a table, and get a volunteer up... and get them to see an orange there instead?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mago

Re: Real Hypnotism Question

Postby mago » February 24th, 2005, 2:12 pm

Yes, you can.

In fact, you can change the apple to a naked woman.

They will "see" what ever you tell them to.

Tom Wolf

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 24th, 2005, 7:55 pm

This is not entirely true. While some subjects can achieve a level of hypnosis where hallucinations are possible, this is fairly rare. However, you can create the feeling to them that they are seeing something they are not. Allow me an example. A classic "bit" is to have the subject watch the funniest TV show they have ever seen. While it is possible for a subject in deep "trance state" to see the TV, more often than not the subject describes the experience as "I could not see a TV, but it felt to me like I was watching the funniest show and I could not stop laughing."

The apple/orange example would be hard to "sell" because the reaction to the difference would be negligible. However, having them eat an apple and have it taste like an onion would be something which could communicate to the audience. They would most likely actually taste the apple, but would react, as per the suggestion as if they were tasting the onion.

Postby Guest » March 26th, 2005, 9:37 am

You are, of course, assuming hypnotism is real.

MP

Postby Guest » March 26th, 2005, 10:04 am

Originally posted by Tom Wolf:
Yes, you can.

In fact, you can change the apple to a naked woman.

They will "see" what ever you tell them to.

Tom Wolf
IMO, this is a total misunderstanding of what the hypnotic state is. Hallucinations of any kind are very rare. However, the desire to fulfil suggestions may be strong enough, that the subject will say they see something , when really they don't
from
Ford
Krosseruptions@blogspot.com

Postby Guest » March 26th, 2005, 10:55 am

Yes you can. this is an example of a positive induced hallucination. I reccomend you read Trance Formations by Richard bandler. alternatively i teach clinical Hypnosis in the UK. i have 25 years experience and carry a senior qualification in hypnotherapy practice awarded by the General hypnotherapy standards council. Ian Broadmore D.Hyp-Psy, SQHP, GHSC, BHA, MIAH, NHR www.mindreader.biz, www.corporate-stress.com, www.ianbroadmore.com

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Perhaps the real problem is that what most people have been conditioned to believe what hypnosis is and what constitutes a hypnotic trance does not exist. Because of the distortions done by the media (movies, television, even fiction) have all led us to the notion of the evil hypnotist forcing his will upon the helpless subject, which as anyone who works in the field knows is nonsense. If stage hypnotists were to educate the public and help dispell these myths it just might help some but the damage has been done and the myths continue to be perpetuated.

If anyone wants to at least gain an inckling as to what hypnosis is and isn't should read the book "They Call it Hypnosis" by Robert Baker. It is not the be all, tell all book but it might help in a general understanding of it.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Where mentalists come for unique material

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”