Ted Annemann...VOODOO

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Ted Annemann...VOODOO

Postby Guest » November 15th, 2007, 8:40 am

I'm new to mentalism and have been reading and researching the subject for about four months now. I'm a close-up and recently a stage magician. I was ready for new challenges and ventured into the world of mentalism. If any pro or semi-pro's wouldn't mind giving me some pointers on performing, like buzz words, etiquet, oor structure it would be great. It's not something you tend to see performed often outside of maybe Criss Angel on T.V. It would be greatly appriciated. I do have a question about an Annemann peice. Is the VOODOO effect in "The Life and Times of a Legend" the same effect as the one in "Practical Mental Miracles"
Thanks-BROWN-

Brian Marks

Re: Ted Annemann...VOODOO

Postby Brian Marks » November 21st, 2007, 9:26 am

buzz words? Not sure what you mean by that.

my advice is to get on stage and develop your own on stage personality. Its hard but worth it. Find an open mike and do 1 or 2 routines. They don't need to be perfect. It gives you the opportunity to see how an audience reacts to a trick, what you need to say and how to work with spectators.

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2007, 8:09 pm

I kind of figured that was what it as going to have to be. but I appreciate the reply.

Thx -BROWN-

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » December 3rd, 2007, 4:01 am

Originally posted by 789wayne101123:
It would be greatly appriciated. I do have a question about an Annemann peice. Is the VOODOO effect in "The Life and Times of a Legend" the same effect as the one in "Practical Mental Miracles"
Thanks-BROWN-
If you are speaking about Encore Voodoo, page 385, it's an effect by Eddie Clever.
The original Voodoo was by Arthur Monroe and published in The Jinx N 32, may 1937.

Both are in Annemann's Practical Mental Effects (1944), page 111 et 113

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2007, 9:58 am

I have started doing more mentalism routines and have come to several conclusions about what works well for me. I have noticed that mentalism themed performances that include more participation from the audience, gets a greater response. The more lay people you involve, the less they feel it is rigged. It also helps if you have a great story or patter involved because a lot of people like to be told what's going on or what they're about to see with a reason behind it. I mean, who wants to see a mime levitating or reading minds? I personally like to attribute some effects to science rather than spiritism or unexplained phenomena. I do this because of recognizing that more people can relate to something like science over supernatural occurences. Again, these are just things that work well for me. The best thing you can do is try different approaches until you find what works well for you and the type of person(s) you are performing for.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”