A clean Triple Prediction

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Vraagaard

A clean Triple Prediction

Postby Vraagaard » September 23rd, 2004, 6:33 am

Here is a description of a new effect I've been playing around with. Im sure its been done in plenty versions before, I just havent stumbled on them. I've seen some clever methods to accomplish this from both Corinda and Anneman - and my method for achieving this effect is based on an Anneman idea. What I would really like is to be directed to similar sources for similar effects and routines. Now here is the effect.

Presentation: For both stage and close-up
3 objects are presented lets say its a Bowler Hat, Umbrella and Trench coat hanging on a coat hanger on stage (for close up it could be a key, a coin and a business card).

Now a spectator will make 3 absolutely free choices, but before doing so I write a prediction on a piece of paper, flashes it to the audience and inserts it to an envelope. The envelope is given to another spectator to hold during the whole performance.

Now the spectator will make the first choice. I say Please choose which one of the 3 objects should be for you to hold, not to keep, but just for you to hold. Assume the spec say I will hold the Trench coat. Then the trench coat is handed to the spectator.

Now the 2nd choice: Please choose which one of the remaining two objects I (the performer) should hold. Assume the spectator says you should hold the Bowler Hat. As said, Ill take the bowler hat.

Now thats leaves the third object, the Umbrella, hanging on the coat hanger. Do we agree about that that was the result of your first two choices?. The spectator presumably answers with a "yes".

So 3 choices has indeed been made, from your own free will is that correct? The spectator answers yes.

Now I turn to the spectator that holds the envelope. And with empty hands (no switches made) I take the envelope rip it open and goes to the spectator who made the choices and say please reach in to this envelope and take out the prediction. When done I say Please read loud the prediction I made, and the spectator who holds the trench coat reads loud the following:

I am standing with the Trench coat. You are standing with the Bowler Hat. And remaing on the coat hanger is the Umbrella. Thanks for your cooperation the choices made were just perfect.

Remarks: The strong points here are the following three: 1) A spectator holds the envelope before the choices are being made, and 2) The spectator who makes the choices is told exactly what will happen to the object, before he makes the choice, e.g. Please choose which one of the 3 objects should BE FOR YOU TO HOLD. 3) The Spectator removes the prediction from the envelope.

There is an alternative ending, but that scenario is equally clean.

Could you please direct me to any similar sources to see if I can in any way improve this effect. I do know the effect "Free Will" but this effect do not allow you to tell the spectator beforehand what will happen to his choice. I am looking for effect similar to mine, that allows you to tell the spectator where his chosen object will go before he makes his choice.

Best Regards

Vraagaard

Tony Razzano

Re: A clean Triple Prediction

Postby Tony Razzano » September 23rd, 2004, 5:15 pm

Never mind.Post deleted

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
Tony Razzano

Doug Dyment

Postby Doug Dyment » September 24th, 2004, 11:29 am

Vraagaard asked:
... The strong points here are the following three: 1) A spectator holds the envelope before the choices are being made, and 2) The spectator who makes the choices is told exactly what will happen to the object, before he makes the choice, e.g. “Please choose which one of the 3 objects should BE FOR YOU TO HOLD”. 3) The Spectator removes the prediction from the envelope.

There is an alternative ending, but that scenario is equally clean.

Could you please direct me to any similar sources to see if I can in any way improve this effect.
Lots of items qualify as "similar sources", so it's difficult to know how to respond to this. Many effects feature prominently displayed, unswitched predictions made in advance, so there's nothing new there. And of course there are similar "choose n objects" effects as well (Andy Nyman's "Dead Zone" comes to mind, as does Stephen Tucker's "Visa Cabaret". In fact, both of these are quite similar to Vraagaard's; the difference is that in both, the small amount of necessary equivoque is done on the off-beat, in the middle of the presentation, and thus likely to be unnoticed (or quickly forgotten); in Vraagaard's, it is done at the end, where there is more heat on the revelation, and thus (in my opinion) less desirable.

... Doug
... Doug :: Proprietor of The Deceptionary

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » September 26th, 2004, 11:39 am

Right on the spot Dough. Thanks, thats what I'm looking for. I'll look into the effects you mentioned.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”