Switching "Devices"

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Switching "Devices"

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2002, 12:50 am

Any advise re: switching in the force numbers in an "Add-a-Number" or book test situation? (I'm not talking about forcing a slip of paper from a bag full, but a simple one-for-one switch of something written on a piece of paper or pad.)

I'm currently using a stack of business cards. Four different spectators write down 4 random numbers, then hand the stack back to me. I riffle to a short card, perform a (hopefully) invisible pass and go from there. The pass is not my concern. I just think a stack of business cards is easily dropped by spectators as it is being passed around. If that happens, there's no "out".

Common sense says that a small ever-day note pad is the most natural way of doing it, but after experimenting with a small spiral notepad with two "fronts", I'm not satisfied. If you close it, then re-open it, the angles are bad. If you DON'T close it, there's no way (that I've found, anyway)to switch to another page without a lot of fumbling.

I know there's a marketed switching pad that uses a magnet and a steel shim so the spectator can actually open the pad himself. But the leather wallet looks suspicious (to me). And the paper inside might also look "odd" to a spectator.

Ideas, please! Is there a method(or prop)out there that I've missed?

Re: Switching "Devices"

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2002, 2:14 am

Jerry O'Connell of London makes a superb Mentalist's pad which can be really safely handled by audience members. I think that there is a picture on one of the UK sites. I'll see if I can find the URL.

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2002, 2:22 am

You can see a photograph by going to www.topsecretmagic.co.uk/main.html and clicking on Jerry O'Connell on the side bar.
Jerry also has a site himself www.jerryoconnelllondon.com

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2002, 6:17 am

Joe Stevens carries a great little German made switch pad that has plastic covers and looks exactly like a pad and cover you buy at stationary stores. You must also remember that YOU carry the pad from spectator to spectator as they write in their numbers. After the last number is written you casually close the pad for a moment as you hand it to the last person to total which effectively does the switch as that person opens the pad.

I beleive that Dick Zimmerman used to produce a switch pad that was a spiral note pad that involved the pulling of a string (the pencil was attached to the string) that fascilitated the switch.

Ted Lesley also has a nice little switch pad in his "Paramiracles" that might be of use to you. If hwoever you decide to continue with a stack of business cards I might suggest that you wrap a rubber band around the stack and utilise the "Out to lunch" principle to switch the numbers.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.MINDGUY.com

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2002, 6:56 am

The Dick Zimmerman device is called a Dangle pad. I've been using it in conjunction with Max Maven's Autome effect and it works very well.

It appears to be just a spiral bound note pad with a pencil tied on a string attached to it. As far as I know, Dick still sells these.

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2002, 10:00 am

Thanks to all for the great ideas.

The Dangle Pad sounds interesting. Does anyone have contact information for Dick Zimmerman or his products?

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2002, 1:09 pm

All I can find right now is Zimmerman's address:

15522 Ricky Ct.
Grass Valley, CA 95949

The last phone number I had for him was: 916-273-4585
Some area codes around there were changed to 530

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2002, 2:46 pm

In the book "Paramiracles" by Ted Lesley there is a section dedicated to using legal pads and such... he offers some insight re: the "Out To Lunch" principle which I've used for years with great success in this kind of circumstance.

AS A SIDE NOTE: Mead now has a notebook out called "Bungie"... if you look at one you will see how it can work with this and several other clever principles we cheaters like to employ... I'm covering this in my lecture notes {Readings In Routine} but would love to hear any input others may have on the concept.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 26th, 2002, 3:08 pm

There is an excellent British book by Will Dexter entitled FEATURE MAGIC FOR MENTALISTS (Supreme Magic 1974. I'm sure there are still copies out there somewhere (try Magic Books By Post in the U.K.).

Anyway, Dexter has a great idea for a double-sided notebook, he calls "The Forceful Notebook." You can make one in about five minutes and it is practically impossible for the spectators to open it incorrectly and discover the secret.

You can hand it out and have spectators write a list of numbers. You take it back and hand it to another spectator to add up the figures and in doing so you do the switch (and the notebook is "locked" before and after).

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2002, 3:17 pm

Anyone know where to find or purchase "Bungie" by Eric Mead? I'm assuming it's a prop, not a book.

And thanks, Bob, for the Dexter reference. Next time I'm in the Magic Castle Library I'll look for it.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 26th, 2002, 3:18 pm

One more thing about the Dexter book--

If you check out "The Third Eye" (pp. 60-66), you;ll find a complete routine for that thing Bob Kohler was selling with the red caps.

Dexter notes:

"Somewhere around 1960, at least two London magic dealers were selling a neat close-up trick, in which the magician was able to divine which of three small plastic caps concealed a ... (coin)..."

I always thought the Kohler trick was way overpriced, even by the inflated prices mentalism usually sells for -- Dexter gives full details and a wonderful routine. Incidentally, if you buy several of the cheapo Royal Magic dice divinations (the one with the die inside two capsules), you can use the red caps supplied for this effect.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2002, 7:10 am

Originally posted by Muscarella:
Anyone know where to find or purchase "Bungie" by Eric Mead? I'm assuming it's a prop, not a book.

And thanks, Bob, for the Dexter reference. Next time I'm in the Magic Castle Library I'll look for it.
:confused: I'm assuming you are referring to my note on the "Mead Bungie Notebook" above... e.g. Mead Paper Company -- Office Max -- $12.00 It's a regular everyday school notebook, "nothing" special, except for the fact that it is a "common" item many people will have encountered and thus, hosts little to no suspicion in the mind of the beholder.

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2002, 10:29 am

Ooops.

Sorry, Craig. When you wrote Mead I just figured you meant magician Eric Mead.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”