Ripleys Beleive it or Not!

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Ripleys Beleive it or Not!

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Hey remember that magician some people bashed for performing at the Film Festival's screening of Borat?

Just wanted to send congrats out to Toronto's "Mysterion The Mind Reader" for being featured in their 2007 almanac in a two page spread as the "World's Most Amazing Mind Reader". A title appointed by the editors. It hits bookshelves next summer.

Re: Ripleys Beleive it or Not!

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 8:39 pm

For those of you curious to know the level of Ripley's criteria in making that decision can see Mysterion here:
http://www.mysterionthemindreader.com/bio_mysterion.php

Make sure you watch the video.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 12:52 am

David,

I'm a little confused by your posting. Is there something your alluding to? The link you provide really doesnt provide any significant information to your remarks. Where can we see the criteria by which Ripleys made their decision? I would love to see it.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 2:13 am

Whilst we may not be able to see the actual criteria, I think we can indeed guess at the LEVEL, as David suggests.....

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 4:02 am

Hello

To everyone wondering who I am, I am a Toronto based entertainer who focuses on mentalism for corporate and club shows, sideshow and other forms of unique entertainment options. I work primarily in Canada and also enjoy making television appearances- tonight on Showcases Kenny vs Spenny show to pro wrestling events to daytime television. I also work as a promoter in the magic and vaudeville scene in Canada hiring magicians and burlesque dancers creating a 20's themed live show that allows performers from all walks to get a chance in front of an audience doing what they love to do- perform.

I occasionally get slack from people who have never seen my show but yet still have an opinion of my work. I assure them I have worked hard for many years with great responces from my clients to get where I am now. I came into magic with a passion to perform the strange and unusual and will continue to do so.

I have worked with other Ripleys performers and they scouted me out and thought I fit their mold as a pesonality for their upcoming book.

All the best
Mysterion PHD ESP

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 4:44 am

Originally posted by Mysterion:

Mysterion PHD ESP
Seriously?

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 5:05 am

"Seriously?"

its a tagline! The character I play is a "Doctor of mentalism". I don't know when it became problemactic to be creative.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 30th, 2006, 5:38 am

Bob, it means Piled High and Deep!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 5:57 am

"Seriously?"

its a tagline! The character I play is a "Doctor of mentalism". I don't know when it became problemactic to be creative.
I didn't mean "seriously" - I meant "seriously?"

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 5:58 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Bob, it means Piled High and Deep!
Ahhhhhhhh - thanks Richard..... now I understand.... ;)

Anyone else think LETS_BE_REEL and Mysterion are one and the same, BTW?

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 9:43 am

"Whilst we may not be able to see the actual criteria, I think we can indeed guess at the LEVEL, as David suggests..... "

So Bob go ahead and make a guess. I would love to hear it. I assume you must of seen his show and now can form an articulate, informed, opinion. It couldn't be that you based your opinion 100% on his website is it? If thats the case, I can't find a site for you. I guess thats means your the world worst magician right?

And no, sorry my friend, Mysterion and I, are not one in the same. I just post in his defence, because for some reasons, so many other so called "professionals" like to bash him for his accomplishments. He nor I can figure it out. I guess its pure jealously. Can you offer me a reason why you feel you should put him down and insult him? I bet you can't. These forums are supposed to be magicians helping magicians, and news and info about magicians. However, it seems that a few of you like to take this as on opportunity to bash your fellow "brothers". Mysterion asked me not to post anything regarding his wonderful news for this very reason. I did it anyways hoping to prove him wrong. Once again I was let down.

If you think we are the same person, look at the IPs. Do you realy think one person is running back and forth between two computers. If thats not good enough, send me a PM, and I will give you my phone number, and I can clearly explain to you who I am.

If you want to see him in action watch Kenny v. Spenny. Its only syndicated all around the world. I'm sure you can pick it whereever you are.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 9:54 am

I assure that Lets be real and I are not the same person- he is about three times my size and in the photo on his browser-

Once again I am amazed at the negative attitude that magicians have when somebody is congratulated for an achievement. I found out about this (forum) and looked to see nothing but people bashing my efforts again.

the only thing thats piled high and deep is the amount of crap I have to deal with to support myself and family in the magic community- The very reason why I stay low and off the radar and only deal with a few magicians in Toronto. In fact Ive given many other magicians gigs and support through attending their events and helping to promote ones I am not involved with only to still recieve backlash because im a busy performer.

I got every gig through hard work and a good show.
This is the only way magic or any kind of performance scene can florish. I respect other performers and my track record proves that.

Your opinions of my work are your opinions and no matter how I try to defend myself I cant ever be heard or evedently believed. Oh well, if you think I have the time to sit around on a CPU and chat crap (today excluded) Im only ever on when Im alerted to people talking about me. I rarely go online forums and do this for an obvious reason.

All the best

Mysterion

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 9:58 am

You got me.... I'm a baaaad person

I may even be the world's worst magician

But at least I know how to spell Ph.D.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:07 am

Ah

I was asked to remove PH.D from my name three years ago because of a legal issue (advertisins it under even a ficticious name on a business card apparently is illegal). Thats why the acronym is now the way it is.

M

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:08 am

Ah

I was asked to remove PH.D from my name three years ago because of a legal issue (advertisins it under even a ficticious name on a business card apparently is illegal). Thats why the acronym is now the way it is.

M
Not surprising

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:13 am

Originally posted by Bob Walder:
You got me.... I'm a baaaad person

I may even be the world's worst magician

But at least I know how to spell Ph.D.
No my friend, you got you. If only you could see your own postings from outside your shallow point of view, and realize what a fool your making of yourself.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:23 am

Yes, I'm a foolish baaaad person

But at least I know the difference between "your" and "you're"

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:28 am

He got you!!!
hahahahahahahaha (Sorry I had to)
M

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:44 am

Who got who now?

I'm feeling a little confused

I think I must be going mental..

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:46 am

I have seen Mysterion perform many times. Is he really the "World's Most Amazing Mindreader" as the Ripleys blurb indicates?

Probably not I suppose. However I am quite sure that most of his clients are pretty happy with him.

I will say this about him. He is very hard working and puts a lot of effort into selling himself. He also seems to have a knack for attracting publicity. In fact I think he has had more newspaper and local television coverage than any other performer in Toronto.

At one time I was associated with Ripley International for many years and they are a very sharp company indeed.If they have given Mysterion this accolade I think he deserves it if only for the sheer ability in wangling the accolade in the first place.

I do happen to know that LETS BE REAL and Mysterion are two different people. One is called Dave and the other is called Chris.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 11:05 am

Interesting video. I especially like the part where he rolls his eyes as if the spectator is a moron. I'm sure audiences love that sort of genuine expression.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 30th, 2006, 11:11 am

Quoth LBR:

These forums are supposed to be magicians helping magicians

Actually, that's the Cafe...

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Hahaha as he edits his post with your and you're. Gee think he made a type-o writing that witty response? Yes at least your grammar is good. Good luck in life.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Originally posted by LETS_BE_REEL:
Hahaha as he edits his post with your and you're. Gee think he made a type-o writing that witty response? Yes at least your grammar is good. Good luck in life.
It's "typo"

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 2:14 pm

And always remember LBR.... it's "i before e, except after c"

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 2:29 pm

I think it might perhaps be more productive to discuss the merits or perceived demerits of Mysterion the Mind Reader rather than to get bogged down in how badly or not so badly we can all spell or punctuate.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Anyone NOT from Toronto want to post something.... ?

I think I upset the Mysterion PhD BS fan club

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 3:12 pm

The problem is that nobody from outside Toronto has even heard of Mysterion or seen him work. It does make it a little difficult for them to comment upon him.

I HAVE seen him work so I think what I have to say may be relevant.

Sure you can look at his website but you can never really tell anything from that in my opinion. Even videoclips tell you very little.You really have to see someone work in person.

The videoclip on his site was Mysterion performing at a Buskerfest. He admits to not being a busker and I think he was merely trying his hand at it for the first time.

I have seen him perform for more formal audiences
and he does a reasonable job of it. His blindfold work is particularly good.

However his unique talent is that he has a knack for attracting publicity and just like Houdini in former times he works very hard at getting it.

Just my take on things. I am certainly not a member of his "fan club" as has been implied. However if there is anyone here who is from outside Toronto who has personal experience of his performance by all means fire away.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Originally posted by Mr Henry:

Sure you can look at his website but you can never really tell anything from that in my opinion. Even videoclips tell you very little.You really have to see someone work in person.
Then why have a video clip, or a website for that matter? Isnt the whole idea of a promo video to provide an accurate representation of the performer for potential clients who havent seen him? Can one only appreciate Mysterion by seeing him in person? Why go on about television appearances if one can only get a real sense of the guy live?

I found the video clip most elucidating, and I would certainly be interested in knowing the criteria Ripleys employs for making these kinds of selections.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 6:22 pm

I think the purpose of a video is to provide a representation but not necessarily an accurate one. I have seen many videoclips of people who seem to be wonderful but aren't. Conversely I have seen videos of people who are not good on video but are quite acceptable when they work live.

No doubt some of Mysterion's critics have videos of themselves that they would not be particularly proud to show to other people. If I am wrong then no doubt they will put links to said videos on here and we will all no doubt be delighted to view them.

The fact of the matter is that this performer is constantly busy and works very hard to make a living in a very tough business. The fact of the matter is that nobody here has seen him work and are in no position to comment on the matter until they do.

Until that moment comes it seems to me to be very mean spirited to attack someone for no particular reason that I can see.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Whoever Mr.Henry is, thank you for the kind words and clarification.

Ripleys saw me in person twice and enjoyed the various elements to the show that were different then traditional mentalists (mad scientist, sideshow etc). And the fact I guess, that I have other atributes that add to their criteria such as the Wrestling appearances, toy collection and Pin cushion girlfriend.

All this combined made them interested, not simply the mind reading show. Ripleys focuses in eccentrics and oddities, a title im proud to have LOL.

I do however also work outside Toronto at private events and now regularly in Halifax promoting events. My base of opps is TO and 90percent of my shows are situated there. My press is whats National and got my name to the Ripleys people and the fact Ive worked with Ripleys before on an event.

All the Best

Mysterion

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 6:49 pm

No doubt some of Mysterion's critics have videos of themselves that they would not be particularly proud to show to other people. If I am wrong then no doubt they will put links to said videos on here and we will all no doubt be delighted to view them.
Why on earth would people want to post lousy videos of themselves, barring some masochistic impulse? Are you inferring that Mysterion is ashamed of the video that appears on his site? If the video is not an adequate representation of his abilities and is something that to the contrary establishes an erroneous perception, I have to wonder why he would have it there in the first place?

Sorry if that seems "mean spirited." I look it as exercising common sense.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 7:52 pm

I have no idea if Mysterion feels that his video is "lousy" neither do I particularly care. I am not implying that he is "ashamed" of it and if he is then no doubt he will inform you.

I am not concerned with his promotional material. I never form judgements from that stuff anyway. I once had a mail order magic business and would receive orders from magicians all over the world. For some reason they would often send me their promotional material. I was always amused that the up and coming and obviously struggling artists had beautiful and slick promotional materials whereas the biggest stars in magic had cheap notepaper and poor quality materials with amateurish clip art graphics.

Again I have seen the fellow work. You haven't. I think he puts on an entertaining show which is somewhat different from the usual run of mentalists. If someone else has seen his show apart from myself and wishes to say something different I won't be offended.At least they will have seen him and are entitled to their opinion even if it differs from mine.

However for someone to cast aspersions on a performer without seeing him perform is akin to trashing a book without reading it.

I consider THAT to be common sense. Don't you?

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 7:55 pm

I like my videos. I never once said that I didn't. It refects the "rock and roll" 60's garage monster style that I use in my gimmick (think Bobby "Boris" Pickett meets Ed Roth).

I have many clients see the site and videos and hire me based on that and my other crediatials be it a referral or general intrest.

Why the fuss?

M

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 8:00 pm

I am wondering who you are Mr.Henry? We have met yes?

Getting sleepy, The Coffin calls!!!!!

Mysterion

G'Night John Boy!

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 8:57 pm

However for someone to cast aspersions on a performer without seeing him perform is akin to trashing a book without reading it.
But I have seen him perform, on video, and as Mysterion ostensibly stands behind his videos he says he likes them I think its only fair they be used as a gauge to determine his qualifications as Worlds most amazing mind reader. You dont believe anyone who hasnt seen him perform live is entitled to an opinion, and have suggested its unfair to base an opinion on the evidence of his videos which to me infers the videos are lousy, but never mind. The fact is, Ive never seen David Blaine or Criss Angel or any number of others perform live so am I not entitled to have an opinion of their abilities either? I realize that its not a perfect medium, but video is about as close as you can get outside being there, and the idea that one can only render an opinion of a performer if hes actually been to a performance strikes me as absurd in this day and age.

As far as casting aspersions, Ive tried to refrain from saying anything too negative. I did have a problem with the way he rolled his eyes as if the spectator was an idiot maybe its old school, but I believe you always treat spectators in a friendly and respectful way but I didnt comment on his metal bending.

I, too, would be most interested in hearing from those whove seen a live performance, preferably someone who hasnt just joined the forum and posts under his/her full name.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 8:59 pm

If I may add my two cents here. I have seen Mysterion perform and he is good. Very good and very entertaining.
One thing about him that I was particularly impressed by was his character. In a world where it seems every second magician tries to be a clone of someone else Mysterion has defined his on stage persona very well.

Is he the best? (Or whatever Ripley's calls him.) I don't know if I have seen enough mentalists to judge. But I can say he is good and if he got into the Ripley's book that I say Kudos to him. (And I don't care if I spelt Kudos wrong.)

And I think I've posted enough for everyone to know I am not masquerading as someone else. Good or bad, I am who I am.

Gord

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Both Mr Coles and Mysterion have commented on videos in the plural rather than video in the singular. Is there more than one video on the site?

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:29 pm

I was speaking of the busking one, but there is another here: http://www.mysterionthemindreader.com

As Gord backs up your side of things I'll concede I haven't seen a live performance and could be wrong. Mysterion, congragulations on being chosen by Ripleys.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:38 pm

I have had another look at the clip and I don't see anything particularly terrible. I certainly didn't see him roll his eyes at anyone so perhaps I am looking at a different clip.

Opinions are subjective anyway. I was biased against Mysterion myself until I saw him work. An agent remarked to a friend of mine that Mysterion was the worst mentalist she had ever seen. Yet when I got around to seeing him for myself I thought he was far better than she made him out to be. He is an entertaining character and very different from the normal run. He is a carnival type mentalist so should be seen in that light.

It is all a matter of opinion anyway. Max Maven came to Toronto recently to do a show and opinions were mixed. I didn't see the show so cannot give you my own. However some people loved him and some people thought he was dreadful.It is all a matter of personal taste.

However what cannot be denied is that Mysterion is a hard worker who has dedicated himself to his chosen profession and is constantly busy with bookings. He can garner publicity like nobody's business and I do believe even if there were no videos on his site people would still be jumping on him.

A great magician once told me that "you can't argue with success". I think he had a point.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”