This is what I have done so far for my new show.

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
JC Stardust

This is what I have done so far for my new show.

Postby JC Stardust » February 24th, 2006, 6:37 am

I have been into Magic since the beginning of the 80's, yes I am that old ...
I did all kinds of bars, clubs and restaurant plus some stuff on TV.
I did a Play, in 89, where of course I was playing a Magician.

But I recently got the bug to put up a complete Mentalism show. I am renting a show room in April and will invite some people who will have be able to book me afterward.

What I did to prepare was to buy Prism from Max Maven and Super Mentalism 2 from Larry Becker. Lots of research material there ...

I also got a bunch of DVDs. Starting with 100% Commercial - Mentalism - Andrew Normansell
Then the 3 Syzygy Best of from Lee Earl and I then went with the 4 Banachek PSI series DVDs.

I will get back to you with the listing of my show. I'm building it trying to balance rhythm and logic. I will practice for a couple of months. It should be a good first Mentalism show, hopefully LOL

Pete Biro

Re: This is what I have done so far for my new show.

Postby Pete Biro » February 24th, 2006, 10:20 am

Get the bible... 13 Steps, Corinda and all the Al Koran books you can find... that's all you need AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO SELL SELL SELL your effects and have a STRONG IMAGE.
Stay tooned.

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » February 24th, 2006, 10:20 am

I particularly liked Mock on Andrew's mentalism DVD. It is a streamlined application and presentation of Max Maven's Mockingbird. You can't fail.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » February 27th, 2006, 11:47 pm

Performing mentalism is different from performing magic. I would strongly suggest that you develop both a strong background in mentalism by reading some of the classics, and getting actual experience in doing mentalism - entertaining mentalism - in front of live audiences well before you show your stuff to bookers.

Performing new material for a few shows and then expecting it to be of the quality you can sell to bookers is unrealistic. Think many months and many shows as being more in step with reality. Good, entertaining mentalism is not an accident and does not come about by merely copying what you see on a DVD. It is far more personality oriented and as such, each effect and presentation must be fully and completely adapted to your performing persona, presuming that you already have a fully worked out performing persona. To reach that level of professionalism takes both time and experience...more than you'll get in a few weeks.

JC Stardust

Postby JC Stardust » February 28th, 2006, 5:48 am

I agree with you if it would be in those conditions. But I have been a stage performer for over 25 years. I have done hundreds of shows in all kind of conditions. Some TV, theater and even was an extra in a movie.

I always have been strong on stage and feel very confident in doing justice to mentalism.

Even in my magic act I was always including a little mentalism and it went very well. I just feel, for myself, like doing a full mentalism show. I do have a lot of material and have a very good idea of the "style" I want to project.

I am willing to invest a lot of time plus the money that is needed to get the specialized "research material".

I feel that you might have seen too many magician trying to do a mentalism act and not enough doing an entertaining act first.

I have a couple of friends, a director and an other magician wanting to help me out.
It should be fun.

I will keep you posted on the developments.

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2006, 6:34 am

Forgive me for adding my bit.DVDs have made learning easy but some effects are for small audiences(and will not be appreciated by large audiences) and some are fit for the stage.A lot of judgement should go into selection of effects.Being a practising magician since the 80's you should not have problems with spectator management.I have been impressed by both Corrinda and Ted Annemann(they give u the basics).By the way which are the books by Koran that Peter Biro would recommend?

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2006, 6:36 am

Forgive me for adding my bit.DVDs have made learning easy but some effects are for small audiences(and will not be appreciated by large audiences) and some are fit for the stage.A lot of judgement should go into selection of effects.Being a practising magician since the 80's you should not have problems with spectator management.I have been impressed by both Corrinda and Ted Annemann(they give u the basics).By the way which are the books by Koran that Peter Biro would recommend?

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2006, 6:53 am

That Alexander fellow is right. He is seeing things from the perspective of a professional Performer, and is offering you good advice.

Ignore him at your peril.

- entity

Postby Guest » February 28th, 2006, 8:36 am

David does know what he is talking about. Performing magic is very different than performing mentalism, they have a very different mindset and philosophy and is one of the key reasons that even seasoned magicians have failed miserably trying their hand at mentalism. (We are talking MENTALISM and not MENTAL MAGIC, something that is just as effective sometimes but is different in it's perception by the audience).

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Got your copy of "The Complete The Mentalist" yet?

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”