Clipboard

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Clipboard

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2002, 3:18 am

I am looking for good Mentalist Clipboard!
Need some piece of good advice!

Re: Clipboard

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2002, 6:05 am

Why are you looking for a clipboard? There are numerous methods for gaining information (if that is your goal). By being a little more specific it would be easier to suggest something for you.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

http://www.mindguy.com

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2002, 6:28 am

I have a great mental effect there I can produce a geometric shape on a wooden board, so i need to get their thougts from some kind of device before I produce the shape on that wooden board!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 5th, 2002, 7:15 am

Just a thought:

How about using a center tear? Have them draw the shape, you tear it up and drop it in an ashray or something and light it on fire. Then, take the ashes and rub them on the board to produce the shape.

-Jim

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2002, 1:11 pm

"I have a great mental effect there I can produce a geometric shape on a wooden board, so i need to get their thougts from some kind of device before I produce the shape on that wooden board!"

Well, you could start with the classic "think of a geometric shape inside of a geometrick shape" where you will usually have your particpants think of a circle with a triangle inside it or in the reverse.

If you can do this with any shape and require a "peek" you have a large variety of choices. Guy Bavli sells a clear clipboard which you can peek the shape from after the participant has drawn on their paper and retained the paper.

There is also the Buma board which is a similar device to Lee Earle's Clone Pad which allows for a real time peek of the design drawn. There is Son of Mind Scan which are pads of paper that will give you a real time peek (I love them) but they are a finite resource and require refills. The other two are not.

You could use a peek wallet such as the mind spy wallet, a Jaks type wallet (my preference) or even a basic Himber Wallet can be used for that. (See Mind, Myth and Magic for a description of that). You could also use a simple centre tear or other tear type effect. I prefer one like Martin Gardner's, Barry Richardson's or Dick Osterlind's (See The Purloined Thought for those references) or try Peek Performances for some excellent ideas using simple cards and/or envelopes for no tear methods.

Hopefully that will give you some ideas, if you want more and there are, let me know.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2002, 12:38 pm

And don't forget the John Cornelius Thought Transmitter, or Banachek's Universal Drawing from Psychological Subtleties, or pencil reading from Corinda's 13 Steps. Just to name a few... :D

Ben S

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 16th, 2002, 5:12 pm

Here's another suggestion -- forget about clipboards, center tears and trick wallets -- all this stuff just clutters up the trick, looks extraneous and drags out the effect.

Buy the Tarbell Course In Magic, Volume 4. Go to page 216 and read "Telepathic Pictures." Everything you need is right there and the method is infinitely variable for all kinds of things.

For your symbol effect, you could use a dictionary of symbols (or logos or trademarks).

I used it as a book test --

There is a variation somewhere of this that works even better. I'll see if I can find it and post the reference here.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 16th, 2002, 5:21 pm

I found the reference I was looking for -- the improved gimmick is in Vol 6 of Tarbell, at page 247: Al Koran's "A Word In Thousands."

It's easier to get the info with Koran's version of the gimmick.

I used the Koran version for years.

(If somebody put this on the market for $50 it would be worth every dollar.)

Ross Johnson

Postby Ross Johnson » April 16th, 2002, 5:38 pm

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:
I found the reference I was looking for -- the improved gimmick is in Vol 6 of Tarbell, at page 247: Al Koran's "A Word In Thousands."

It's easier to get the info with Koran's version of the gimmick.

I used the Koran version for years.

(If somebody put this on the market for $50 it would be worth every dollar.)

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2002, 7:41 pm

Bob,
Someone DID put it on the market and Tannen's has sold it for years. I am curious however why you feel that a book with a piece of paper on it as opposed to just a blank card is less "clutter" and prop. A simple card (Busch sites several methods as well as Raxon's Master Billet Move would fit the bill) with nothing else would seem to be "less".
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2002, 7:43 pm

And also let me add what a pleasure it is to see Ross Johnson, one of the world's top Mentalists here on the forum. Welcome Ross.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 17th, 2002, 6:16 am

Paul:
The book is less clutter if it's part of the effect -- so the design, word, etc., would come from the book.

There is also less handling clutter -- once the spectator draws the design, nothing more need be done. The sheet doesn't have to be folded, ripped up, etc.

As the spectator is showing the large design to the audience, the performer is loking through the book and getting the information.

Also, because of the size of the book, everything can be seen so much more clearly -- so the effect plays close=up or on stage.

I will admit I've always hated center tears with their little pieces of paper and all the dead time while the paper is folded just so, then ripped up or burned.

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2002, 8:50 am

Thanks for clarifying that Bob but I must disagree with you but not about the book. Firstly there is a clear clipboard available that will give you a clear peek after they have removed their sheet of paper. Nothing left bu the clear sheet of paper they have and a clear clipboard and as they hand you back the clipboard you, and only you will see clearly their image. No clutter there.

And while I do agree with you about the centre tear not being appropriate, I was talking about billet work with NO tears in it. Just them folding it over so as not to be seen however you are correct about it not being as visible from the stage.

The only other possibility I can think of would be something along the lines of "clone-pad" or ""bama board", but we are talking about a clipboard and paper.

If size is a matter however, would it not make more strategic sense to pre-show it with a very large piece of paper that can be folded until stage time and then have the participant bring iy up and reveal later which would be a good size on stage.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”