Effect I just learned

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Effect I just learned

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2002, 5:10 pm

I learned the following effect and would like to knwo who the creator / author is so I can give him proper credit. I am not posting the "secret" only the effect.

If anyone knows the orgin, please contact me at royornelas@yahoo.com

Thank you

Roy

====================

You have seen or heard of many ways in which a performer can ascertain what cards have been selected by his audience. I have developed a science which gives me 100% accuracy without seeing a card, touching a card, in fact, without using any cards at all. I call this science Cardology.

All of you are invited to participate in this demonstration, and I hope time will permit me to answer all. Simply follow my instructions, and as you complete this test in Cardology, raise your hand.Ready?

I want you to think of any card in the deck, double its value (if it's an ace count it as one, two as two, etc., up to ten. If you think of a jack the value is eleven, Queen is twelve, and King is thirteen.

Now, after doubling its value, add one and multiply this total by five. Has that been done? Fine.

[portion deleted]

The performer continues, "You, sir, say that your total is 74; then the card you thought of was the 6 of spades. That is correct, you say? Thank you."

"This gentleman has 131, and he thought of the queen of clubs. The lady who called out 82 was thinking of a 7 of diamonds. Thank you."

"For your answer to 53--you, sir, thought of the 4 of hearts. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for helping me."

Eric Rose

Re: Effect I just learned

Postby Eric Rose » October 26th, 2002, 5:01 am

Check Scarne on Card Tricks. The presentation you've listed is word for word the presentation (and even same chosen numbers/cards) from Blackstone's Cardology - or a Card Trick Without Cards, trick number 118, page 227 in my Signet 1974 edition.

BTW - the only time I've ever used this trick was over the telephone a decade ago. I grabbed a deck of cards and started shuffling loudly for the person, explaining I had 5 decks shuffled together. They gave their number and I pretended to deal down to it and told them the name of the calculated card. Sort of a poor man's any card at any number. Never did it again for fear the number would be huge and the dealing would take too long.

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2002, 7:08 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2002, 1:05 pm

Ray,
A fellow Texan; Scott Wells, does and teaches a very similar piece on Banacheks' Radio Magic tape (and CD). He lives in Houston and the tapes are available from just about any decent dealer.

Ben S

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2002, 7:22 am

Originally posted by Ben Salinas:
Ray,
A fellow Texan; Scott Wells, does and teaches a very similar piece on Banacheks' Radio Magic tape (and CD). He lives in Houston and the tapes are available from just about any decent dealer.

Ben S
O.k. Ben... you got me on that one.

I have the dang tapes and don't remember it. Guess I'll have to pull them out of storage and check things out. :rolleyes:

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”