The Jinx vs. Life and Times of a Legend

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

The Jinx vs. Life and Times of a Legend

Postby Guest » April 29th, 2005, 10:26 pm

I was going to buy the three volumes of "The Jinx" by Ted Anneman but then I read somewhere that the "Jinx" volumes contain the same information as "Anneman: Life and Times of a Legend" by Max Abrams. I was going to buy both but why should I, if they contain the same information. Is this true? Is one better than the other or do both they contain the same information? Is there a difference? Does someone have both to compare? Thank you.

Gerard

El Mystico

Re: The Jinx vs. Life and Times of a Legend

Postby El Mystico » April 30th, 2005, 1:03 am

They are both great books.

Life and Times takes you through the chronology of Jinx - but by and large it only prints the tricks that Annemann invented. So there are plenty of good tricks in the jinx that aren't in Life and times. Equally, there is plenty in Life and Times that isn't in The Jinx. How to decide if you are only buying one? It depends on your arm muscles, and if you are used to lifting big weights.

Postby Guest » May 11th, 2005, 6:31 am

The Jinx & Life and Times are no way similar, they are completely different books and you should purchase both..
Life and Times of a Legend is really great for biographical info, The Jinx is great for the many effects it contains..
Rennie

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » May 16th, 2005, 10:12 pm

Start with The Jinx, then read Legend. Jinx reveals some of the life-blood of the magic community while Annemann was active.

It will also give you a coherent feel as to why Annemann was so important to the community.

He was brilliant.

But brilliance is best revealed by contrast.

Looking ONLY at Annemann means the range is stunted. You see Annemann on his good days and Annemann on his bad days. But it's still largely just Annemann. The "flavor" is constant. Unless you have some appreciation of what you're looking at going in, it can make it seem far more mundane than it is.

Besides, Jinx has charms that outweigh the personality of one man....

(Genii reflects Richard Kaufman...but Genii is MORE than Richard Kaufman. And the MORE often makes it MOST interesting....)

Gordo

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”