Book Content Database

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Denis Behr

Book Content Database

Postby Denis Behr » August 23rd, 2004, 8:59 am

Hi all!

I've been working on a database for books for some time now. Recently I managed to put the whole thing online and workable [more or less].
You can have a look here: http://archive.denisbehr.de/
[I am not sure about how long the link will be available at the moment.]

There are still enough bugs to keep me busy. If you happen to find mistakes in content or programming or have other suggestions feel free to drop an email. I do have some plans for other features already.
Exactly 100 [randomly chosen] books are filed at the moment.

It is still very much work in progress and the layout is quite basic, but I thought perhaps you are interested.

Ciao
Denis

pduffie

Re: Book Content Database

Postby pduffie » August 23rd, 2004, 10:22 am

Excellent database, Denis!

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » August 23rd, 2004, 12:19 pm

Very nice! I was just wishing for such a tool the other day as I was looking for a specific move.

Do you plan on including a cross-reference in the search for those sleights that are referred to in multiple or non-standard fashion? An example would be the K.M. Move, which I've seen written up at K-M Move, K.M. Move and Kardyro-Marlo Move.

Thanks for the great work!

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 23rd, 2004, 1:58 pm

Eric, do you mean this by cross referencing?
Collected K.M. Move references
You can get to those collected tables via the "Discovery Journey" or by doing a keyword search and checking out the fitting category-links in the right column.

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2004, 4:17 pm

Clap,Clap,Clap,Clap,Clap!!!!..........Mike

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » August 24th, 2004, 3:35 am

Wunderbar...!!!

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » August 24th, 2004, 6:27 am

Beautiful!

That's exactly what I meant! I'm impressed.

What are your long term plans for the database?

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 25th, 2004, 12:06 pm

Originally posted by Eric Rose:
What are your long term plans for the database?
I don't really know... Currently I am writing a script which allows me to comfortably enter new books. The way I used to do it is no longer possible now since I changed the structure to make it run online.

I plan to add new books... Some people offered their help.

I used it quite a bit in those "I knew I read this somewhere....."-situations in the past.

Denis

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 25th, 2004, 12:35 pm

Originally posted by Denis Behr:
...I plan to add new books... Some people offered there help...
Can we send you a formatted text file? lots of things to add on the coin stuff. From Roth's Chink-a-chink in volume 1 number 1 to Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins, to My coins across in Apocalypse vol 5 etc, etc, etc
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 25th, 2004, 1:47 pm

Thanks for this offer. You can of course send anything along and I can see whether it is formated in a way I can upload it.
BUT: I hesitate to put anything in the database which it is a single entry from a book out of context. I already filed Apocalypse Vol.3&4 [Reprints]. Vol.1&2 are still a future project [those things are huuuuuge...]. So everything from there will be in the database as soon as those books are filed.

I think that the "one full book at a time" - idea is the best way to do a thing like that, if you see what I mean?!

Denis

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » August 26th, 2004, 4:14 am

First Class database. What program and operating system do you use, please?
Anthony

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 26th, 2004, 5:21 am

My operating system is Windows XP.
I am not sure what you mean by program, but I used PHP, phpMyAdmin and MySQL to create the database and wrote all PHP - program scripts myself basically from scratch in the text editor. Does this answer your question?!

Ciao
Denis

Temperance

Postby Temperance » August 26th, 2004, 9:25 am

Very nice Denis! Do you intend on including publication dates alongside the entries?

Euan

magicam

Postby magicam » August 26th, 2004, 11:22 am

Denis, power to your project!

You wrote:

'There are still enough bugs to keep me busy. If you happen to find mistakes in content or programming or have other suggestions feel free to drop an email."

If you are looking for a computer program which helps you organize your library (or any other collection, really), you should obtain a program called BookCat. It is a really wonderful program that can be customized and is a fully searchable relational database based on MS Access, and it is an absolute bargain.

To get more information, go to http://www.fnprg.com/bookcat/

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 26th, 2004, 12:24 pm

Originally posted by Euan:
Do you intend on including publication dates alongside the entries?
If you click on the book you get to all entries of this book. I just added some basic information about the book. So the publication date can be found there. [Actually the publication date of my edition. If I do not own the first edition, the date of the first edition is included in brackets.] Example
I don't know whether it is a good idea to include the year in all tables?! Technically no problem.

Magicam, thanks for mentioning this tool. The nice thing with a self-written program of course is that I can add features and structure the thing at will [or "ability" actually :-)].

Denis

magicam

Postby magicam » August 27th, 2004, 2:26 am

You're welcome, Denis.

I mentioned BookCat not because I think you need to change, but only because my computer programming friends have told me how flexible the program is, allowing one to customize the database. If you know how to use Microsoft Access, you are well on your way as that is the platform used for BookCat.

Clay Shevlin

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » August 27th, 2004, 6:46 am

Thanks, Denis. I use a mac. Not sure of PHP. Suggestion of BookCat inapplicable, I have a DB in FilemakerPro. In my DOS days I used AlphaFour which was excellent, probably AlphaSeventeen now!
Anthony

magicam

Postby magicam » August 27th, 2004, 10:39 am

Anthony Brahams wrote "Suggestion of BookCat is inapplicable..."

Anthony, I have this program and since I have been tinkering with using it as my relational dateabase for my library and perhaps future web-publishing, I'd be grateful to hear you elaborate on this comment. Sounds like there is something I should know about this program.

Many thanks in advance.

Clay

magicam

Postby magicam » August 27th, 2004, 10:46 am

Okay, a little off topic, but as a former Mac user (starting back in the Mac Plus days in the 1980's, when 1MB of RAM was considered ungodly huge :) ), I'm wondering if all the Windows/Mac OS conversion problems have been resolved such that a Mac user can now seamlessly open and use common PC files (such as those in Word, Access, InDesign, etc.). I reluctantly went to a PC (about ten years ago) because that was the system used at work and I got tired of the problems associated with opening PC files on my Mac.

Anybody with comments can send me an e-mail if they prefer, and again, thanks in advance.

Clay

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » August 28th, 2004, 11:53 am

Anthony Brahams wrote "Suggestion of BookCat is inapplicable..."

Clay,
I think Anthony meant that BookCat does not run on a Mac... This is true indeed, but the matter of fact is that an Access Db can be read by applications on a Mac (I'm not familiar with any, but a search on Google returned some entries).

If you simply need to access the data, BookCat can export the list of books in HTML format (or text, or other formats) and you can read the list from other environments (and put it on the web as well ;) ). Also, there is an add-on which allow to download your database (part of it...) to a PDA, so that you can avoid buying another copy of your books while away from your library/computer ;)

But, alas! it doesn't run on a Mac...

Ciao!
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2004, 3:48 pm

Sorry to go off-topic here...

Magicam,

I haven't had any problems with files. Especially on opening PC files on Mac, vice versa and there has been some small issues but I am sure they are due to my university's poor computers (i.e. they would have had the same problems no matter what format).

If you can try and get a test drive with the OS X, it is superb. My laptop only crashes when it runs out of battery. I will never switch back to PC's.

Sorry again folks.

magicam

Postby magicam » August 30th, 2004, 8:31 am

Marco and Pekka: Thank you for indulging me with this information.

Marco: Some folks in The Magic Circle are thinking of putting TMC library catalogue online for members to consult. Do you think that BookCat then would be a good program to use for that considering its HTML export abilities?

Best wishes to you both, Clay

P.S. Marco: your copy of HGCR #1 went out today. I signed it for you -hope you don't mind.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » August 31st, 2004, 4:57 am

Hi, Clay!
re. TMC, see my post on that list. BookCat could be ok, but it would still require some programming work to encapsulate the list in a professional website like TMC's. I exported my library in HTML format for a project with a web-site in Italy, but I had to write some extra pages. At the moment is not accessible unless you have a password, but I plan to make it available on my new site...

Re. HGCR: many thanks! I was starting to wonder how you were with the printing, as I did not hear much in a while. I'm really looking forward to it.

All the best, ciao!!!
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 13th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I updated my Archive a bit, layout and (invisible) backend structure. You can check out the new version here: http://archive.denisbehr.de/

I'm sorry that some old links might not work anymore, even though some are redirected to the correct page.

Denis

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » August 13th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Hey Denis: I don't see any of LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION volumes listed!

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » August 13th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Why don't you submit them then?

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 13th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Harry, all the original books are in the database, klick on your name here so see what's in the archive from you: http://archive.denisbehr.de/books.php?t ... r&letter=L

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » August 13th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Magic Fred: Didn't know you had to submit them - that's why then.

Denis: That's what I did, but - please understand, I really am a lousy computer person - my dyslexia clicks in there - I did that and still don't see any of the Lorayne: The Classic Collection volumes, don't see Dingle's Deceptions or Mathematical Wizardry or Doug Edwards Packs A Wallop, etc. I know I'm probably doing something wrong.

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » August 13th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Oh I may have spoken out of turn then, I assumed the site was based on submissions. Ignore me.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 13th, 2011, 7:00 pm

That's because those books you listed are not in this database and they won't be added in the near future.
This is not a site that lists all magic books written by a given person. For that, I suggest MagicPedia: http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Harry_Lorayne

Return to “General”