Gypsy Curse

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Gypsy Curse

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2001, 3:02 pm

I have a problem. I have a presentation for the Gypsy's Curse routine that I think is a great one. The problem is, I want cards that appear more authentic. I bought the set from Hampton Ridge, but I don't like those one bit. I'm looking for cards that appear to be that same type, but aren't "plastic coated". I'd even settle for "poker-sized" cards similar to the ones that are in Hofzinser's book, or in Moder Magic. If anyone has any leads, or has cards similar to this they wouldn't mind parting with, I'd sure appreciate it.
Rick

Re: Gypsy Curse

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2001, 6:53 pm

Hi Rick,
I think that before Hapton Ridge was making them, they were being made without such a plastic coating. You may be able to track down a few older sets. And if you want them to look even older try some brown shoe polish.
Your Friend,
John

Postby Guest » October 6th, 2001, 7:17 pm

Thanks, John. I've been looking for an older set, I think they were made by Emerson-West. If anyone out there has an original Emerson & West set of the Gypsy's Curse and wouldn't mind selling them for a reasonable price, let me know.
Rick

ADG

Postby ADG » October 8th, 2001, 4:44 pm

Hello Rick.....At one time Jeff Busby used to sell an excellent set of Gypsy Curse cards...a bit pricey but none the less the Cadillac of Gypsy Curse cards...I think the price was $20-$25. I don't know his current address, but his previous address was Jeff Busby Magic, Inc., 612 Cedar Street, The Barnard Bldg.,Wallace, Idaho 83873-2233
Your friend in magic,
Alex

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 8th, 2001, 5:48 pm

Originally posted by Rick Green:
I have a problem. I have a presentation for the Gypsy's Curse routine that I think is a great one. The problem is, I want cards that appear more authentic.

If you have any interest why not make your own? A simple wood or lino-block print would do it. I did some of this back in college and it was quite a bit of fun. All you need is some tracing and carbon papers to transfer a design and a sharp knife to cut out the non-printing areas.

Your local craft shop should be able to provide all the assistance you need and the web is full of information on old playing card designs.

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: Bill Duncan ]

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 8th, 2001, 6:53 pm

Derek Dingle used to make sets of Gypsy Curse by hand from real Tarot decks. They looked great. You MIGHT be able to find one of his sets on the second-hand market, though it is unlikely because he couldn't have made more than 50 or so.
As far as antiquing existing sets go, Tony Andruzzi's favorite method was to brew some strong tea. Dip a sponge into it (after it has cooled, of course) and wipe it over the cards. Then use a dry paper towel to wipe off the excess. The toss 'em on the floor and stomp on them for a few minutes. They'll look nice and battered after that!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2001, 8:21 pm

Thanks for the aging suggestions, guys. I had actually tried it with the Hampton Ridge set that I had..went so far as to "sanding" the cards with model sanding films I got from a hobby shop, then doing what Richard suggested using coffee instead. They just still didn't look as good (or should I say, as authentic) as I wanted them. I guess I'm too picky for the sake of "art".

Thanks for all the suggestions, though.
Rick

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » October 8th, 2001, 9:53 pm

Hi Rick,

I had Neil Lester of Cards by Martin make a set from tarot cards for me. I bet you Gary Plants could also do the job.

Regards,

Paul Green
PS Really like the J. C. Wagner routine from The Commercial Magic of J. C. Wagner.

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2001, 1:14 am

My solution was peeling, manually the plastic coated film the cards have (I think is described in Expert card techbique). That way they looked older, were easier to handle, and the doubles were better concealed, because the pastic coat was likey to despegate.

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2001, 7:52 am

Paul said,
PS Really like the J. C. Wagner routine from The Commercial Magic of J. C. Wagner.

I agree, Paul. That is actually the handling I'm using. The story I tell is one I made up involving Thurston, and I use a Thurston throw out card along with a sand frame for the end of the story. Like I said though, I think it's the older, longer, European style cards that will make the story (for me, at least).
I actually have a set from Neil Lester. They just don't fit the story that I have for this one.
Rick Green

Doomo

Postby Doomo » October 9th, 2001, 6:01 pm

Look, just contact Kevin Kelly. He makes THE best set of Gypsy curse cards bar none.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2001, 7:41 pm

Doomo, how do I contact Kevin Kelly? If he make a set that is what I need, I'd gladly pay for it.

Oliver Corpuz

Postby Oliver Corpuz » October 13th, 2001, 11:50 pm

Rick, If you want to contact Kevin Kelly, he lives in Charleston, Illinois and is listed.

Tonight I got a set of Kevin Kelly's gypsy curse cards at his lecture with Don England. The set was $25. Although the cards aren't aged, they look wonderful, especially the court cards. Kevin said that the best thing about them is the cards will look better the more you use them.

BTW (off topic), if you make (or want to learn how to make gaffs) you MUST see Kevin Kelly and Don England's lecture. Make sure Kevin shows you his version of matrix-- it is really cool. Don, the zen master of gaffs, shares his secrets and methods on making custom gaffs. Don did a visual trick called "the shrink" from Paradox, his brand new book of gaff tricks that Kevin wrote. It blew us all away as the card visually grew and shrank. I bought their new book and one of the fifty limited collector's edition sets of Paradox gaff cards (which I will NEVER sell).

Regards, Oliver

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2001, 12:55 pm

Oliver said,
Tonight I got a set of Kevin Kelly's gypsy curse cards at his lecture with Don England. The set was $25. Although the cards aren't aged, they look wonderful, especially the court cards.

Did you happen to get anything from Kevin that had a contact number or an e-mail address? Sounds like the very cards I'm looking for.
Rick

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 14th, 2001, 5:48 pm

Here is Kevin Kelly's e-mail address:
_the_magician@yahoo.com>

He and Don England are lecturing at Denny & Lee's on Tuesday October 23.

Postby Guest » October 14th, 2001, 7:09 pm

I appreciate everyone who gave me the info on Kevin. I actually spoke to him this evening, and have an order in for one of the sets of gypsy curse cards. Kevin was very nice, and we are actually going to look into getting him and Don in Nashville for a lecture.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Rick

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2001, 5:18 pm

To those who helped, you have my utmost thanks. I just received the set of cards I ordered from Kevin, they are exactly what I've been looking for all these years. This is a great place you've created for us, Richard.
Rick

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 2nd, 2001, 6:02 pm

At the Kelly/England lecture, Kevin did Don England's Oil and Water routine out of "Paradox" using those same tarot cards that he sells for Gypsy Curse. The routine is superb, and looked excellent with those big cards. He said he might consider making the necessary gimmick in those Tarot cards. Hopefully he'll let us know when!

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2001, 6:52 pm

Hate that I missed the lecture, but I was at Waffle House last night til 2 in the morning hanging out with Bob Knigge and a couple of friends. Great time.
Rick

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”