Paul Fox Cups ARE CHEAP

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Pete Biro

Paul Fox Cups ARE CHEAP

Postby Pete Biro » May 21st, 2002, 6:24 pm

If you think Paul Fox cups are expensive, go to ebay and search "Porper" holy cow! :confused:
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Paul Fox Cups ARE CHEAP

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 21st, 2002, 7:48 pm

Yikes!

I think I'll watch those just for fun. Can't wait to see if the copper ones hit the reserve.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » May 21st, 2002, 11:11 pm

That settles it. I'm going to get some "plastic wrap" :D

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » May 22nd, 2002, 5:41 am

It's not just the cups....it's the wand ;) Joe Porper's skill wasn't just in the fine machined cups he produced; it is in his woodworking skill as well. Since 1985, Joe Porper's company (Creative Inventions) has made some of the finest pool cues in the world. Porper custom cues can easily cost in excess of $3,000. :eek: Think of the two-piece wand as a Porper mini custom cue and you can see why it might be highly desired. Jim, you might want to take a look at his cuemaking lathe and complete workstation, which you can see on his website: www.porper.com.

As for the cups, I believe that we've covered some of this ground in another thread. Joe Porper copied the design of the cups Harry Stanley had spun for Dai Vernon's UK visit..but rather than spinning them, he machined them in copper and in brass. The result was a well-crafted, heavy cup that can hold a rather substantial load.

As for the plastic wrap, I believe that it could be orginal Reynolds :D though Saran is a definite possibility ;)

Michael

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 22nd, 2002, 8:16 am

Placing a Porper cup next to the Stanley cup, the rings are in a different position. I would guess this was done to avoid litigation or criticism?

The two rings on Stanley's are closer together, Joe's are equally spaced with the base ring.

He also machined some out of stainless steel, having sold his last remaining set of 3 at the past WMS for $350.00.
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » May 22nd, 2002, 8:20 am

Pete: Joe Porper also coated the inside of some -- though not all -- of his cups with a black finish.

Michael

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 22nd, 2002, 8:27 am

Right... black powder coat. I used epoxy paint on some of the cups I sell, but switched to having the insides nickle plated. Am out of stock right now waiting for another LOAD of Galli Galli cups.
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » May 22nd, 2002, 8:39 am

But do you wrap them in plastic wrap? :D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 22nd, 2002, 9:04 am

Spanish language newspapers :D
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 22nd, 2002, 9:05 am

No, I really wrap them in old copies of Magic Magazine...

Did you know that Davenport's used to wrap books they were mailing in Leroy, Talma and Bosco posters? They had so many they used them as wrapping paper.
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 22nd, 2002, 9:06 am

You know talking prices... $300 for a set of cups is nothing when I just paid that for a fuel pump for my car.
Stay tooned.

Terry

Postby Terry » May 22nd, 2002, 9:12 am

No, I really wrap them in old copies of Magic Magazine...
I would have figured you had run out of Linking Rings issues by now :D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 22nd, 2002, 12:32 pm

Page size is too small...
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » May 23rd, 2002, 4:27 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Placing a Porper cup next to the Stanley cup, the rings are in a different position. I would guess this was done to avoid litigation or criticism?

The two rings on Stanley's are closer together, Joe's are equally spaced with the base ring.

He also machined some out of stainless steel, having sold his last remaining set of 3 at the past WMS for $350.00.
Pete: I have a set of Porpers and a set of Stanley's where the rings are in virtually identical positions. The difference simply wouldn't be apparent to most observers.

I think Andy Greget got Joe's last set of cups. Speaking of Andy and steel cups, you might want to talk with him about the heavy machined cups Auke van Dokkum is now making in both a standard and jumbo version.

Michael Edwards

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2002, 2:24 pm

$300 for a fuel pump ?
I only paid $600 for my last car !
(well, I am a cheapskate) :rolleyes:

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 23rd, 2002, 4:07 pm

I don't have a car, just sit on the fuel pump! :o
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 23rd, 2002, 4:09 pm

Micheal: There is a major difference in the ring location on my Stanley vs. Porper sets. Too busy right now, will do a photo later next week and send to you.
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » May 23rd, 2002, 5:14 pm

Thanks, Pete. You can see images of one of my Porper and one of my Stanley sets on Jim Riser's historic cups webpage. Just follow the link to Three Beaded Cups.

Michael

Terry

Postby Terry » May 24th, 2002, 5:45 am

I don't have a car, just sit on the fuel pump!
Talk about having a bad gas problem! :D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 24th, 2002, 8:55 am

Terry: You win the prize for best reply of the month! Burp! :D
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » May 24th, 2002, 10:09 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Placing a Porper cup next to the Stanley cup, the rings are in a different position. I would guess this was done to avoid litigation or criticism? The two rings on Stanley's are closer together, Joe's are equally spaced with the base ring.
Thanks for the photo, Pete. There really is a difference between your set of Stanley cups and mine. Yours are aluminum with the two beads rather close together; mine are spun copper with the beads spread apart as they are in the sets Joe Porper machined. Interesting :confused:

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 24th, 2002, 10:51 am

Maybe both of yours are Porper?
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » May 24th, 2002, 12:15 pm

Pete: Check out the photo on Page 15 of the Ammar cups & balls book. You'll see another set of Stanley-made cups that are identical to mine (except mine are in a lot better condition :D .

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » May 24th, 2002, 3:18 pm

Michael and Pete;
Sorry I have not kept up with this thread. I'm having modem problems - must be something it ate :(

Michael, I am well aware of Joe Porper's great cue sticks and can appreciate the wand with the Porper Cups. I've even been offered the chance to purchase one of his lathes for making such high end items. I'm sure the wand affects the price of the cup set. BTW - I can remember Joe Proper selling his cups and other goodies at the Magic Castle swap meets.

There is a comment about these cups from a source on my Dai Vernon Cups web page. They (Stanley) were not too well thought of by the source.

RE: Pete's Stanley Cup Set. Pete can you email me the picture of your cups? I have a similar set of three bead cups and the beads were free spun. There is a slight variation in positions due to the manufacturing process. Porper Cups were made by CNC lathe and could be programmed to be dead on position. I'm curious to see how far off the beads are on your set - and why.

Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 27th, 2002, 11:43 pm

JR: Will email you a snap hopefully tomorrow. Just in from driving 400 miles (last 150 at 25 mph in heavy traffic) Argh....

I did a show and closed with cups and balls. Guess what cups?

3 tea cups in a chinese restaurant, used crumbled up chop stick wrappers for balls and final loads were fortune cookies.

Cost? NOTHING.

Effect? PRICELESS

Maybe I should sell my collection of cups?

Nah...
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2002, 11:28 pm

My favorite set of cups (and the only ones I will perform with) are Stainless Steel Porpers that Joe Porper gave me as a gift many years ago.

Over the last couple of years I've been working on Joe and finally talked him into re-entering the magic prop industry - we need quality work to balance out the myriad of junk that is on the market today. Joe's first re-release was an improved "Card Clip" (he is the original inventor of this utility device) which I have had the honor of engraving several dozen for him.

The next item of interest is his solid metal cups - in Brass, Copper, and Stainless Steel; these will be available from Bob Kohler
Magic within a month or so.

Future releases will include an improved "Jumping Toothpick", an improved "Ghost Ring" and some new ideas that will (IMO) become classic for the coming generations.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”