Johnson Cups and Balls

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Johnson Cups and Balls

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2001, 10:33 am

Hi there,

I am looking for a set of cups and balls by Johnson(the brass ones) used. I can not justify $200 for a set of cups when I only use two anyway. Does anyone have a set that they would part with for less than $200?
Or can anyone reccomend a set similar to the size and weight as the Johnson cups?

Help me Mr. Wizard...

ouT.
Spydur

Pete Biro

Re: Johnson Cups and Balls

Postby Pete Biro » December 11th, 2001, 6:08 pm

Look at the Johnny Paul Cups at Stevens Emporium... I can sell you two. Email me privately pete@petebiro.com
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2001, 6:27 am

I have extra brass Monti cups. creesman@yahoo.com

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2001, 7:58 am

Thanks for all of your help but it looks like my request is being misunderstood. Sorry about that. I am looking for a set of USED JOHNSON cups or a set that is VERY SIMILAR. They do not have to be brass, but heavy and large would be nice.

Thank you.

ouT.
Spydur

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 12th, 2001, 8:22 am

I believe the Monti cups are VERY SIMILAR.
Stay tooned.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » January 4th, 2002, 5:55 pm

I have a set of the Johnson cups and they're worth every penny. I only use 2 of them as well and I consider $200 a good investment. If they're just going to be played around with and not actually used for paid performances I can understand not wanting to pay the money though. Many people believe they're better then the Paul Fox cups which would run you close to $500 IF you could even get a set. I asked Busby to put me on his waiting list last year but because I asked to be notified when they were made about 8 years ago and didn't buy a set then, he refused to sell me a set when he remakes another batch now. Talk about a complete and total prick. I just hope I don't get sued by him for using the word "Fox" in this post...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 4th, 2002, 6:29 pm

I have been thinking of making some cups and calling them Jack Wolf cups.

Whaddya thinque?

I beleive Busby "lost" the forms for making the Paul Fox cups in a recent roof leak. Or at least that is a claim. He was awarded far less money than he claimed.

Several friends of mine have tried to communicate with him regarding buying cups, to no avail.

I have known him since we were teenagers together and he won't respond to my messages.

For a long time I was giving him slack, but since he got a used Paul Fox rising card I was selling STOPPED by ebay, I have given up on him.

Too bad, he had a great bunch of items to sell...

ARgh... :( :( :( :(
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 4th, 2002, 6:30 pm

SPYDER... keep an eye on ebay, Johnson Cups often show up, search by name, and the prices have been friendly.

Have you tried writing Sam at Johnson's directly to buy a pair? Why not?
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 4th, 2002, 6:31 pm

Also, Spyder... have you checked out the Jim Sisti cups? They are almost the same as the famous ones we can't mention... :cool:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 4th, 2002, 6:32 pm

Sorry to be such a loonie... but Mr. Reesman, a few posts ago, said he had some Monti cups.

These are outstanding, formerly known as Rings N Things... these are as good as you can get. ;) ;)
Stay tooned.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » January 4th, 2002, 7:01 pm

or you could gather 3 people that use 2 cups and share 2 sets :)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 4th, 2002, 7:11 pm

Find David Williamson... he does a two cup routine.

BTW, do you (or anyone) think there is a market for cups made specially for the John Ramsay routine?

I had a prototype set made that a few have seen and really love.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2002, 8:11 pm

Find David Williamson... he does a two cup routine.

The cups David Williamson uses are the Monti Cups from Rings 'N Things. Magic Masters carried them when he worked there. He later lost or had pilfered one from his set. That is how he devloped and started using the 2 cup routine.

The Monti cups will be available once again in a short while. Brought out by me under the Encore Magic name.

Don Spurrier

Postby Don Spurrier » January 5th, 2002, 7:52 am

Pete:

You mentioned that Mr. B was instrumental in stopping your listing of a used Paul Fox Rising Card on ebay. I am curious as to how and on what basis that was done. Are you at liberty to supply any details?

Don Spurrier

Postby Don Spurrier » January 5th, 2002, 8:03 am

Oops! Just found Pete's account in another section of this Forum. Sorry. It doesn't pay to stay away too long!

Eric Wolf

Postby Eric Wolf » January 5th, 2002, 11:54 am

More on the Paul Fox Subject and Ebay Auctions...

I was bidding on a Brass Collection that Ron Allesi had on Ebay. This collection had roughly 20 pieces in it. Each was identified by name. One was listed as a Paul Fox item. Two days into the auction, Mr. B. had the auction STOPPED claiming the seller could not list a Paul Fox item by name.... Rights or not, it seems like anyone should be able to sell a used product and describe it by name.

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » January 5th, 2002, 12:35 pm

All I can say is Jeff Busby is a pathetic, bitter, angry, sad little man.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2002, 12:53 pm

Jeff Busby has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to stop anyone from selling any Paul Fox item on eBay. Every single one of you who has had your auction ILLEGALLY interrupted by that fatuous putz, Jeff The Fat Jackass Busby, should complain long and hard to eBay and explain that they are being illegally manipulated by a law breaker.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » January 5th, 2002, 1:11 pm

Does anybody have Busby's email address? Maybe if every single one of us and every single one of our cousins, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers, kid who rents me videos, woman at the checkout at the grovery, etc...emails him he'll have a change of heart. OK...we know he won't, but let's send him thousands of emails anyway.

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » January 5th, 2002, 1:22 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Jeff Busby has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to stop anyone from selling any Paul Fox item on eBay. Every single one of you who has had your auction ILLEGALLY interrupted by that fatuous putz, Jeff The Fat Jackass Busby, should complain long and hard to eBay and explain that they are being illegally manipulated by a law breaker.

Richard's subtle comments have merit. For a good explanation of why Busby's actions are improper, check out the link on Jim Sisti's web site to a letter Sisti's lawyers wrote to Busby's lawyers. The analysis is detailed but in plain english -- and provides an excellent explanation of why Busby's actions really are no more than bullying. Any lawyers on this board who are licensed to practice law in Idaho should feel free to contact me privately to discuss this issue further, lawyer to lawyer.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Eric Wolf

Postby Eric Wolf » January 5th, 2002, 1:24 pm

There are Johnson Cups on EBAY now (1/5/02)
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1057765869

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 5th, 2002, 1:25 pm

Unfortunately the process to counter claim Busby's ebay situation is a real pain... I think I still have their emailed form but have been too busy to file the claim.

Perhaps in the magic community we should use a CODE NAME for Paul Fox, like Peter Wolf ???

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 5th, 2002, 1:27 pm

Frankly, if Jeff had been producing the Peter Wolf cups all along he would have made hundreds of sales.

BTW anybody still getting Braue Notebooks?

Argh... I had forgotten that one.

:mad:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 5th, 2002, 1:29 pm

You know I was in on the design of the Johnson Cups, along with Mike Caveney and Ed Justice Jr.

My advice was "Do not make an exact copy of the Paul Fox cups, as Busby would send a 300 page threat letter."

The owner at Johnson said something like, "Let him."

:D :D :D
Stay tooned.

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » January 5th, 2002, 5:02 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:

BTW anybody still getting Braue Notebooks?

Argh... I had forgotten that one.

:mad:

Pete,

I ordered a set when there were 2 or 3 of the promised set already in print. That was in Denver some time in the 1970s. I never got any of them or a refund. I wonder how much the lad owes me with interest by now?

Best,
Ray
Best Regards,
Ray
http://www.rayhaddad.com

Terry

Postby Terry » January 6th, 2002, 5:22 am

I ordered a set when there were 2 or 3 of the promised set already in print. That was in Denver some time in the 1970s. I never got any of them or a refund. I wonder how much the lad owes me with interest by now?

Best,
Ray

I'm not an attorney, but it would seem that Busby has committed fraud by accepting money for a product he seems to make no attempt to provide? And since they were to be mailed to customers, wouldn't that be a violation of postal fraud laws?

Terry

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » January 6th, 2002, 6:43 am

Originally posted by Terry:

I'm not an attorney, but it would seem that Busby has committed fraud by accepting money for a product he seems to make no attempt to provide? And since they were to be mailed to customers, wouldn't that be a violation of postal fraud laws?

Terry

Terry,

Glad to see you here.

In response to your comments, I would surely think that the statute of limitations has gone way beyond anyone touching him for that. I was in the US Navy at the time and moved around a lot. I always thought I'd at least get a forwarded copy of issue one or two but nothing ever showed up.

Best,
Ray
Best Regards,

Ray

http://www.rayhaddad.com

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 6th, 2002, 12:15 pm

Read my post in Close Up -- Peter Wolf Cups.
:D :D :D :D
Stay tooned.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”