Wizard Cuff Clip - Card Holdout or Not?

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Robert A. Olson

Wizard Cuff Clip - Card Holdout or Not?

Postby Robert A. Olson » November 15th, 2001, 12:18 pm

null

The Wizard clip was used to hold removeable cuffs to shirt sleeves in the late 19th century. Gambling collectors have said that it was also used as a card holdout. No one has yet told me where this may have been in print. Does anyone have information of where it may have been noted, in print, that it was used as a card holdout, and if so, where and what date. If you click on the NULL above, you should get an image of the item.
Thank you - Robert A. Olson

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Robert A. Olson ]

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Wizard Cuff Clip - Card Holdout or Not?

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 15th, 2001, 3:25 pm

Bob,
Oddly enough, my father in law picked up one of those clips from a woman at a flea market who told him it was a holdout. I asked Steve Forte about it in August--he has several in his collection. He stated that it was his opinion that they were ONLY cuff links and NOT holdouts.
Do you have any idea how they actually functioned as cuff links?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Robert A. Olson

Postby Robert A. Olson » November 15th, 2001, 3:51 pm

Good Day Richard, I had a printed description on how they attached to the shirt and cuff, but cannot find it. It was in one of the old 1890s slum item catalogs, like Johnson Smith. Oddly enough, the catalog also had magic items in it. They were sold on a counter display, with 12 clips on a castle like stand-up display board. I have seen the board as well, and have had the clips. If it was used, then some old time gambler may have written it down in his "reformed biography". I would like to find out and either confirm it, or dispel the myth. Thanks-Robert A. Olson

Robert A. Olson

Postby Robert A. Olson » November 15th, 2001, 3:57 pm

PS to last note to Richard - Do you have Michael Claxton's email address? I lost it and have information for him on The Little People of Magic. I do not know if Tom Thumb did magic, but his wife Minnie did after he died. She ordered a suspension illusion form C. Milton Chase, and visited him at his shop in Cambridge to be fitted for it. Claxton did a nice article on this subject. RAO

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”