New York Magic Symposium Books

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Steve Mills

New York Magic Symposium Books

Postby Steve Mills » June 17th, 2002, 5:52 am

Does anyone know what makes a complete set here?

I have 1, 2 and 3.

Thanks.....
Steve

Andi

Re: New York Magic Symposium Books

Postby Andi » June 17th, 2002, 6:03 am

There are five books as far as I'm aware. I think I remember Richard mentioning that Minch's Specticle was also compiled to be another Symposium book, so you may also consider that to be part of the collection.

I'm looking to buy books One and Five if anyone is willing to sell them?

--Andi

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 17th, 2002, 10:12 am

A complete set consists of Six Books:
I wrote and illustrated 1 and 2--only 1000 copies of each were printed, which accounts for the difficulty in finding them almost 20 years later.
Fleischer and Minch wrote volume 3.
Minch wrote volumes 4, 5, and 6.
Volume 5 was published by Ton Onosaka in Japan and is, I think, the best of the lot.
Vol.6 was never published by Fleischer, so he sold it to L&L, who retitled it "Spectacle" and made some changes to the text to remove all references to the Symposium convention for which it was originally supposed to be published before publishing it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2002, 8:12 pm

Hello:

I have extra copies of Volumes 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (Spectacle) that I'm willing to sell...all together or separately. They are all in very good condition. None have the paper dust jackets, but I think that's the way they were originally sold. Anyway, they're extras I don't need. I'm not looking to make a killing, but don't want to give them away, either. Make me a fair offer for any of them and they're yours.

I agree with Richard - I think Volume 5 is the best.

Ron Reid
rreidmagic@hotmail.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 17th, 2002, 8:23 pm

Only "Spectacle" had a dustjacket.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

George Olson

Postby George Olson » June 18th, 2002, 9:53 am

Ron,
Drat! My e-mail is down right now! I would be interested in volumes 2 and 5!

I have 3,4 and Spectacle.

Price? :confused:

Thanks

George

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2002, 7:31 pm

Hello George:

I still have volume two left; all my other "extras" have been sold. I sold the other volumes for $23.00 each (plus postage cost) - how does that sound to you? I'll hold it for you. Just send me an email letting me know if you're interested or not (or you can post a message here). Thanks for the interest.

Ron

George Olson

Postby George Olson » June 19th, 2002, 7:08 am

I'll be glad to send the bucks.

It'll be a couple of days though before my e-mail is back up. My computer guru just installed a 2wire PC portal on my other computer, and in doing so he disabled a bunch of stuff. He's out of town right now, so I expect ot be up to speed by this week-end. E-mail me your address, and as soon as I get on line again I'll mail you the money.

Geo

George Olson

Postby George Olson » June 21st, 2002, 5:55 pm

Ron;

My e-mails back up to speed.

Send me your address so I can forward the bucks to you tomorrow!

poof.magic@verizon.net

thanks,

George

luigimar

Postby luigimar » July 3rd, 2002, 12:14 pm

And what is your favorite book in the series?

Mine is book 3 (the white one). I've used several routines from it, especially one of Brother Hamman's effects. I don't have the book with me now so I don't have the name of one of my favorite tricks. In it you have 4 people choose cards, lose these cards in the deck (spectators do this!), then you make the chosen cards disappear from the deck and then they reappear face up. I don't do it that way though. It's part of a longer routine with aces. I take the four aces and spectators lose them in different parts of the deck. The aces disappear and you demonstrate this and then you make them appear again face up in the otherwise face down deck. Then I continue with another effect or finish here due to the strength of the effect.

I have a question for Richard or maybe someone else could answer it: Why wasn't this trick part of Brother John Hamman's book? It's a great trick and I was surprised not to find it in Hamman's book. It's not something that affects me as I already know the trick from the Symposium book, but I was just wondering.

Another trick I like is in book 1 (black book). I think it is the last trick in the book. Its name is 'the sign of four' by Roy Walton. Check it out, it's a gem!

Well what have you learned from these books?

Luis Martin
luigimar

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2002, 1:23 am

Hi,

I'm also interested in buying a copy of vol. 5 in good condition. If anyone is willing to part with their copy...

Peter Grning

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » July 5th, 2002, 8:11 pm

I just saw a copy for sale as I was browsing eBay tonight.

Frank Yuen

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2002, 12:14 am

Frank,

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Still, if someone is willing to part with their copy, please let me know.

Peter Grning

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”