Ken Brooke

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Ken Brooke

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2001, 7:36 am

Some of us older folks still remember the late Ken Brooke with affection, not to mention admiration.
It may be of interest to you that The Magic Circular printed a very nice tribute section in their May 2001 issue.
If YOU are not a MC member it would be worth borrowing a copy ,if you can, and let the memories 'flood' back!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Ken Brooke

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2001, 11:58 am

Wallace, I've been encouraging The Magic Circle to make The Magic Circular available by subscription to people who are not members of the circle. The circulation is very small at the moment, and increasing the circulation would enable it to attract more advertising, and do even more for its members.
No luck so far!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2001, 1:04 pm

As a 'non-member' who was only lucky enough to have a daughter who is an Associate Member I couldn't agree more!
I'm afraid that the MC tend to be a very 'introverted' organisation IMO, unlike the IBM, but then as the IBM TVP for Ireland it is possible that I am rather biased! Seriously,it is rather sad that so few people have had a chance to read their tribute to my old friend Ken, a man who was known all over the world by so many of us older members of the magic scene.
Why not a 'Ken Brooke Issue' of Genii,if you haven't already,Richard?
I'm sure that many many people would really welcome it, not only here in the UK but all over the 'magic world', I know that I certainly would if I have not, as a comparatively recent subscriber, missed a past issue.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2001, 2:24 pm

I don't know if Genii has done anything on Ken Brooke before I bought it--can't recall offhand.
Frankly, I think The Magic Circle is a more open organization than the IBM. I read open criticism of the Circle and certain events they've held in The Magic Circular. Contrast that to the IBM, where you NEVER see any criticism of the organization itself in their Linking Ring and all the reports of its conventions are filled entirely with superlatives.

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2001, 5:27 pm

You obviously haven't seen some of the 'discussions' on Ring 2100, The Electronic Ring of the IBM, Richard.......no holds barred! :)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 29th, 2001, 7:17 pm

No, I haven't, but many of the IBM members do not log on to ring 2100, while ALL members receive the Linking Ring (and all Circle Members receive The Magic Circular).

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » July 30th, 2001, 12:36 am

Hi Wallace and Richard,

I cannot tell you which volume or issue was done about Ken Brooke, but there was an issue with Ken on the cover.

Ken Brooke is a major reason that I am a successful performer. His material and routines that came with the Unique Studios stuff and later through his own Magic Place filled my knowledge base.

He was a man that knew how to entertain. He was a man that understood what magicians, whether they were hobbyists or performers, wanted.

Ask Paul Daniels or Ali Bongo about Ken Brooke. They benefitted from knowing him.

Wallace, if you will contact me directly at paulgreen@earthlink.net, it would be my pleasure to gift you with my lecture notes. They were both dedicated to Ken Brooke.

Regards,

Paul Green

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 2nd, 2014, 12:53 pm

I came across this youtube clip today.

Paul Daniels reminisces about Ken Brooke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CitWWOqokTA

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » January 2nd, 2014, 3:58 pm