Card Craft book on EBay

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Terry

Card Craft book on EBay

Postby Terry » May 8th, 2002, 4:58 am

For anyone interested, there is a new copy for sale on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2101281101

Warning - the person is trying to increase their auction by charging $15 :eek: postage. The first class should be $6 at most and around $4 bulk.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Card Craft book on EBay

Postby Matthew Field » May 8th, 2002, 6:27 am

I recently exchanged e-mails with Jerry Hartman and mentioned the enormous prices "Card Craft" was fetching on eBay. He thought it was very amusing.

Matt Field

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » May 8th, 2002, 6:52 am

So what is the lesson learned? The lesson learned for every author is to hold on to his gratis copies until the book is out of print, and then slowly release them on ebay fetching a multiple of the original sales price.

Chris Wasshuber
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.

Oliver Corpuz

Postby Oliver Corpuz » May 8th, 2002, 6:53 am

There are a lot of fradulent sellers on eBay, and the magic category is no exception. I've seen cheap knockoffs peddled as the real thing, seen misleading "rare first edition" magic books that are actually second printings or later editions by a different publisher, and know people who have bought "near mint and mint" magic posters that actually had folds, tears and other defects in them. Careful with people with negative feedback... many that have multiple negatives and neutrals probably deserve more bad feedback, but bidders don't want to risk a retaliatory negative.

After reading the seller's negative feedback, noting the outrageous shipping fee, and the fact that the auction title is erroneous, what does "Authored by JK Hartman and written bt Kaufman" mean?, and also look at the really blurry picture... does that look brand new to you? I have only this to say for potential bidders on that auction: Caveat Emptor.

- Oliver

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2002, 9:57 am

Good heads up on the book, Terry. However, I believe that anything over a pound or so, is now going priority rate, no more first class. Media mail would be cheaper, as you noted. But please, don't get me started on the post office! And besides, after reading Oliver's warning, I'd be afraid of bidding! That, and the fact that I already have it!

Bob

Postby Bob » May 17th, 2002, 10:29 pm

Well, it looks like someone wanted this badly. It went for $255 (not counting the expensive shipping).

Cugel

Postby Cugel » May 17th, 2002, 11:17 pm

I have a copy just sitting here. $200 plus shipping - any offers? What a bargain!

Terry

Postby Terry » May 18th, 2002, 6:06 am

Careful with people with negative feedback...many that have multiple negatives and neutrals probably deserve more bad feedback, but bidders don't want to risk a retaliatory negative.
I sent an Official Bank Check to a "guy" in Vegas to pay for an auction I won and he held my package with the excuse of waiting for the check to clear. It took a complaint to EBay to get this clowns email as the original one was expired. I left negative feedback, he replied in kind and then I posted a response with all detailed info. Haven't seen this censored back on Ebay.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 18th, 2002, 7:33 am

It IS possible to get eBay to remove negative feedback that has been left against you as a retaliatory measure.
Send them copies of all correspondance and DEMAND that the offending e-mail be stricken. They can and will eventually do it.
And, if you get screwed on eBay, you can always use "Square Deal" as a mediator. I did this on a $400 item and after much back and forth received a refund because the item was not working as claimed by the seller. I posted negative feedback against the seller and he retaliated by posting negative feedback against me. All feedbacks were removed after the issue was settled.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”