Rare Kaufman and Company Books for sale

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Rare Kaufman and Company Books for sale

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 18th, 2003, 7:14 pm

As mentioned the other day, I have started going through some boxes and will be listing items for sale over the next few days.
Please note that the ONLY way a purchase may be made is by posting a notice in this thread. Make sure your e-mail address is in the post when you note which books you want. The prices are all firm, and reasonable. Exact cost of postage will be added to the total, and only credit cards will be accepted.
Thanks for looking!
Here's the first lot:
1) Abstract (RK lecture notes), 1984. Second printing. 24 pages, six card items that have never been reprinted elsewhere. $15 each.
2) The Interlocked Production of Coins, 1977. My first book, never reprinted. 29 pages, comb bound. 3 copies. $25 each.
3) After Craft DELUXE edition by Hartman. This particular copy has no tip in page and so is neither signed nor numbered. It is, however, bound in red leather and comes in a slipcase covered in black cloth. 3 copies. $35
4) Walt Disney's The Socrerer's Apprentice Storybook and Magic Tricks, 1993. Published by Disney Press, this is a full color storybook, hardcover with dustjacket, of 62 pages. The first 15 pages are the story, the balance was written by Friedhoffer and illustrated by me with lots of good tricks for beginners. 3 copies. $35 each.
5) A Tarbell Scrapbook, 1993 by RK. I published this 80-page oversize comb bound book (with an additional 16 pages of full color) in a limited edition of 100 copies (all signed and numbered) to compliment the appearance of Tarbell 8. This book contains loads of extremely rare Harlan Tarbell material not reprinted anywhere else. 4 copies. $75 each. (Original price was $50, and except for these four copies, it sold out with a few weeks when originally sold 10 years ago.)
6) The Gene Maze Card Book, 1980. Softover, 6x9, 93 pages. Never reprinted. 4 copies. $35 each.
7) From Witchcraft to Card Tricks, Stephen Minch, 1991. Softcover. 30 pages. Never reprinted. A Hermetic Press publication ltd. to 500 copies, this is one of the most satisfying books I've ever read about the history of close-up magic. Traces many things back to their original publication. Can't recall why I have them! 12 copies. $20 each.
8) A file of the first year of Apocalypse missing issue 12. Original printing on good paper. 1 copy. $20.
9) Charles Bertram The Court Conjuror by Eddie Dawes, DELUXE Edition in slipcase, leather binding and slipcase, number 4 ltd. to 50, color plate, 358 pages. 1 copy. $65
10) Williamson's Wonders in FRENCH. Published by Mayette. Hardcover. 1 copy $20
11) Arcade Dreams by Jon Racherbaumer. Marlo's non-card tricks. Hardcover. 2 copies $30 each
12) New Magic of Japan 1988 by Kaufman and Goldstein. Hardcover with dj. 124 pages of superb magic. 1 copy. $25
13) Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz, Deluxe Edition, leather bound in a slipcase, No.3 of 50, signed by Ortiz. 1 copy. $100
14) Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz, Deluxe Edition, leather bound in a slipcase, NOT numbered, ltd. to 50, signed by Ortiz. 4 copies. $65 each. (Usually you end up with a few extra copies when you do any sort of printing, and in this case I ended up with four extra copies of the Deluxe edition, which explains why there is no number on the tip-in page, even though they have been signed.)
15) Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. I gather there's no reason to describe this item. 8 copies, various printings. $40 each. (This is the original retail price.) PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS BOOK WILL BE REPRINTED BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR!
16) Notes to Houdini!!!! by Kenneth Silverman. First edition of 500 copies, never reprinted. Scholarly accessory to biography "Houdini!!!" and sold out since just after publication. 2 copies. $75 each.
17) Stanyon's MAGIC, 3 volumes in a slipcase with a fully-cross referenced index. 1 copy. $125 (50% off the original price because of a slight ding to the slipcase).
18) David Roth's Expert Coin Magic. Original first editions, cloth bound exteriors, red foil stamped, in original slipcases (also red foil stamped). Pristine condition. 6 copies. $75 each.
19) Card Craft. J.K. Hartman. First edition, still shrink wrapped. Slight ding to one corner. 1 copy. $100
20) CoinMagic. Second edition, 1982, Burgundy dustjacket and cloth. DJ has white and silver lettering. Red end sheets. Slight scuffing to lamination on front of dustjackets. 2 copies. $50 each.
21) Mahatma. Two huge volumes in a huge damn slipcase, fully cross referenced. Long out of print, ltd to 300 or 400 copies (who can remember--this one is shrink wrapped). 2 copies. $200 each ($50 less than the original retail price).
22) Paul Gertner's Steel and Silver. 2 copies of the second printing. $45 each (original price). 1
23) Paul Gertner's Steel and Silver. DELUXE edition, ltd. to 50, this is number 3, signed by Gertner and me. $125.
24) Second Now You See It, Now You Don't! Bill Tarr and Barry Ross. Softcover. 1 copy. $10.
25) Houdini's Conjurors Monthly. My reprint, ltd to 300 copies (or 400--these are shrinkwrapped). Two volumes in a slipcase (and heavy!). 2 copies. $200 each ($50 less than original price).
26) GREATER MAGIC. My reprint, with 400 pages more than the original. Shrinkwrapped and pristine. 2 copies. $100 each.
27) GREATER MAGIC EXPURGATED EDITION. As Carl Jones did, I printed 50 copies of my edition which are entirely blank except for the first signature. Has a special tip-in page regarding this which is signed by me. These were not sold, but made to be given as gifts. Found one in the boxes! $200
28) Aftercraft DELUXE edition, signed by J.K.Hartman and number 3, leather bound in slipcase. 1 copy. $45
29) Magic of Edward Victor's Hands by Rae Hammond. One of my favorite books of those I've published. These are the deluxe editions, signed by Hammond (now deceased), however not numbered. Leather bound in leather covered slipcase. 2 copies. $50 each.
30) Aftercraft by Hartman. Regular edition. 1 copy. $20
31) Much Ado about Something by Karrell Fox. 8 copies. $10 each
32) Williamson's Wonders. First edition with dustjacket. 3 copies. $30 each
33) Williamson's Wonders. IN GERMAN. This would make a nice match to the French copy nobody's bought! 1 copy. $20
34) CoinMagic. Later printing with printed cover. 2 copies. $40 each.
35) The Magic of the Hands Trilogy by Edward Victor. Three of the greatest books published in our field--among Vernon's favorites. This is my reprint of all three in hardcover. 4 copies. $20 each.
36) The Magic of the Hands Trilogy DELUXE edition. Same as above but leather bound in leather covered slipcase. 4 copies. $40 each (half of original price)
37) SEANCE by Scott Davis. Long out of print and highly sought-after. Original printing of 1000 copies. Last ones. 5 copies. $50 each.
38) Complete Works of Derek Dingle. Later printing with dustjacket. Shrink wrapped. 1 copy. $35
39) Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table DELUXE edition. Cloth bound in slipcase, ltd. to 50 and long sold out. This copy is number 2 and signed by Ortiz. $75
40) IBIDEM 1. Shrink wrapped. 1 copy. $35
41) IBIDEM 1 DELUXE EDITION. Ltd. to 50, long sold out, with hand-colored tip in number page by Pat Lyons and other supplements. This is copy number 3, leather bound with leather covered slipcase. 1 copy. $55
42) Secrets of Brother John Hamman. Later printing. 2 copies. $30 each
43) The Performance of Close-Up Magic by Eugene Burger. Later printing. 3 copies. $25 each
44) Folding Money Fooling by Bob Neale. Second printing. 2 copies. $20 each.
45) Folding Money Fooling DELUXE Edition. Long sold out. Leather bound, leather covered slipcase, signed by author Bob Neale, with hand-folded origami dollar bill tipped in. Not numbered. 2 copies. $50 each
46) Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table. Two copies with dustjackets, three copies with printed covers. All same price: $25 each
47) CardMagic. My first large book. As originally published in 1979 in softcover. Almost 200 pages, over 700 drawings. 5 copies. $25 each.
48) Gary Kurtz: Unexplainable Acts. Second printing with printed cover. 2 copies. $20 each
49) Williamson's Wonders. Later printing, printed covers. 4 copies. $20 each.
50) Richard's Almanac, Volume One. This is a hardcover book of ONLY the first volume of the Almanac, with a green dustjacket. I did not print separate volumes for 2 and 3, but did the Collected Almanac with all three volumes. 3 copies. $10 each.
51) Swami/Mantra by Sam Dalal. Two long out of print magazines from India in a one volume reprint I did a few years ago. Dustjacket. 1 copy. $35
52) The Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields by Racherbaumer. 1 copy. $25
52) Mastering the Art of Magic by Eugene Burger. Second printing with dustjacket. 3 copies. $35 each.
53) Sankey Panky. Second edition with dustjacket. 3 copies. $25 each.
54)100% Sankey. First printing with DJ. 1 copy. $20
55) David Roth's Expert Coin Magic. Later printing with printed covers. 3 copies. $40 each
56) Smoke and Mirrors by John Bannon. First Printing with purple cover. 1 copy. $30
57) The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser DELUXE Edition. Leather bound, in leather covered slipcase. Signed by Riser and author Ed Brown. This is number 3 of 50. 1 copy. $50
58) Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields DELUXE editions. Please read the following carefully:
3 copies, leather bound, NO slipcases, NOT numbered, signed by Racherbaumer and Eddie Fields (deceased). These are $35 each.
3 copies, leather bound, WITH leather covered slipcases, NOT numbered, signed by Racherbaumer and Eddie Fields (deceased). These are $45 each (half of original price).
59) Duffie's Card Compulsions. Original edition. With dustjacket. 7 copies. $25 each.
60) Duffie's Card Compulsions DELUXE editions. Please note: NO slipcases. Leather bound, signed by duffie, NOT numbered. 4 copies. $35 each (half of original price).
61) GREATER MAGIC. Two copies, regular edition. $75 each.
62) GREATER MAGIC. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. As Carl Jones did, I prepared 10 special copies of Greater Magic as Publisher's Presentation copies. These are unique in form from all other editions I published. Unlike the Deluxe edition, which was in two separate volumes, bound in black leather, and in a red slipcase, these Presentation copies are bound in brown leather in a single volume in a brown slipcase. Each contains a tip-in page stating that it is an edition of 10 and my signature. 2 copies. $500 each.
63) GAFFED TO THE HILT. Original edition, ltd. to 125 copies. This is copy number two of the original edition in a custom made binder with all the handmade gaffed cards tipped to the pages, printed on red paper. Pristine condition. 1 copy. $500
64) Gaffed to the Hilt. Reprint. No gaffed cards. Edition of 1000 copies. Slightly scuffed dust jacket. 1 copy. $40
65) Magic Tricks, Science Facts AND More Magic Tricks, Science Facts. A set of two books, hardcover with dustjackets, first editions, written by Bob Friedhoffer and published by Franklin Watts in 1990. I did the drawings. 1 set (two books). $20
66) More Magic Tricks, Science Facts. As above, but only the second book. 1 copy. $10
67) Scientific Magic Series, a complete set of six hardcover volumes with dustjackets written by Bob Friedhoffer. I did the drawings. 1 set(six books) $35.
68) Same as 67, but missing one of the volumes. $20
69) GREATER MAGIC. EXPURGATED EDITION. As Carl Jones did, I printed 50 copies of my edition which are entirely blank except for the first signature. Has a special tip-in page regarding this which is signed by me. These were not sold, but made to be given as gifts. Found a second one. $200
70) GREATER MAGIC. Regular edition. A defective copy. Several dozen pages in the middle are blank on one side, and there are a few pen marks on the edges of the pages. 1 defective copy. $35
71) New Magic of Japan 1988 by Kaufman and Goldstein. Hardcover with dj. 124 pages of superb magic. 1 copy. $30
72) Strange Ceremonies by Eugene Burger. Later printing, printed cover. 1 copy. $20
73) Richard's Almanac. Complete files of the original newsletter, all three years, as originally issued. 2 copies. $50 each.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

reed mcclintock

Re: Rare Kaufman and Company Books for sale

Postby reed mcclintock » June 18th, 2003, 7:46 pm

I want number 1 copy of # 2 please, pretty please with a cherry on top. Tell me where I send money. I am not posting my credit card number on the thread lol. :D

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » June 18th, 2003, 7:52 pm

Richard-
If Reed isn't asking for all of the Interlocked copies, I would like one, and the Aftercraft, as well.
(nerbil@aol.com)

Many thanks!

Gordo

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 18th, 2003, 8:09 pm

Let's assume that each person is ordering only one copy unless they state otherwise.

David O

Postby David O » June 18th, 2003, 8:29 pm

I'll take a copy of From Witchcraft to Card Tricks.

Thanks,

David
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree.

Albert Einstein

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 18th, 2003, 8:30 pm

I'll take one copy of From Witchcraft to Card Tricks.

Dustin

Todd Karr

Postby Todd Karr » June 18th, 2003, 8:39 pm

From Witchcraft, please

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » June 18th, 2003, 8:44 pm

I would also like magic of Japan please. I only want one copy of the the other book So I am upto two books :D reed@reedmcclintock.com

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 18th, 2003, 8:59 pm

Richard;
I'd like one of :
14) Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz, Deluxe Edition, leather bound in a slipcase, NOT numbered, ltd. to 50, signed by Ortiz. 4 copies. $65 each.

Thanks.
Jim
jriser@jamesriser.com

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » June 18th, 2003, 9:00 pm

Hi Mr Kaufman -

Could I buy the Bertram book and a copy of "From Witchcraft..." Please

Dave Egleston

hotshotsn8@aol.com

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2003, 9:04 pm

Mr. Kaufman, I would like to order "From Witchcraft...." Thank you, Barry Mink mink@aspeninfo.com

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » June 18th, 2003, 9:26 pm

I would also like a copy of "From Witchcraft...."
Many Thanks! (nerbil@aol.com)

Gordo

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2003, 10:18 pm

Richard,

I'll take one of:

14) Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz, Deluxe Edition, leather bound in a slipcase, NOT numbered, ltd. to 50, signed by Ortiz. 4 copies. $65 each.

5) A Tarbell Scrapbook, 1993 by RK. I published this 80-page oversize comb bound book (with an additional 16 pages of full color) in a limited edition of 100 copies (all signed and numbered) to compliment the appearance of Tarbell 8. This book contains loads of extremely rare Harlan Tarbell material not reprinted anywhere else. 4 copies. $75 each. (Original price was $50, and except for these four copies, it sold out with a few weeks when originally sold 10 years ago.)

Thanks,

(my first post!) :whack:

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2003, 11:29 pm

Man Reed you got the japan book. Oh well.

Linds

Postby Linds » June 19th, 2003, 12:03 am

Richard

One copy of the Cardshark deluxe unnumbered editions please.

email addy
lindsay.carroll@bigpond.com.au

Thanks
Lindsay

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » June 19th, 2003, 3:25 am

Richard,

If they're still available, please put me down for:

From Witchcraft to Card Tricks

Cardshark deluxe edition

craigzemail@juno.com

Mahalo

sleightly

Postby sleightly » June 19th, 2003, 5:06 am

Put me down for:

7) From Witchcraft to Card Tricks, Stephen Minch, 1991. Softcover. 30 pages.

Thanks for cleaning out your closet!

Andrew

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2003, 5:26 am

Put me down for

From Witchcraft to Card Tricks

Interlocked Production of Coins (last of 3?0

Cardshark, deluxe leather, signed

Thanks,
Bob Gallo

Remco

Postby Remco » June 19th, 2003, 5:43 am

I would like to order one copy of The Gene Maze Card book.

Thanks

Remco ( rdewolf@freegates.be )

James Foster

Postby James Foster » June 19th, 2003, 5:49 am

Richard,

One copy of Minch's "From Witchcraft...", if available.

EMAIL]sherwood_foster@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Thanks!

James sherwood_foster@yahoo.com

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » June 19th, 2003, 5:56 am

Please put me down for a copy of "From Witchcraft to Card Tricks" and one copy of "New Magic From Japan."

Thanks.

Jerry Harrell (doctormadblood@earthlink.net)

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2003, 6:21 am

Richard, If you have a copy left, I will take Witchcraft.

Christopher Hanna

channa@mail.smu.edu

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 19th, 2003, 6:22 am

I count eleven copies of Witchcraft gone so far, I'd like the last one please :)

Ian Kendall
m@gician.info

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 19th, 2003, 6:24 am

I can't beleive I missed it by _one minute_! Arse.

I know I shouldn't have stopped to count :(

Ian
(who would still like one if someone drops out...)

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » June 19th, 2003, 7:27 am

Hello Richard,
I'll take one copy of "The Gene Maze Card Book"
Thanks
Thomas (thomas.van.aken@groupe-expert.com)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 19th, 2003, 7:53 am

Before I list the next item, please let me remind all of you that sending me personal e-mails or calling doesn't count. You MUST post a response in this thread with the names of the items you want. Figuring out if there are any of a particular item left is simple: just count the number of people who've already ordered one--since all orders are noted in this thread it's an easy matter.
And don't be disappointed if something is gone: I have MANY more boxes to open at this end, and I could easily find more copies of something.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 19th, 2003, 8:47 am

And don't be disappointed if something is gone: I have MANY more boxes to open at this end, and I could easily find more copies of something.

Does that mean I've got first dibs on the next Witchcraft that pops up?

Ian

Ralph Mackintosh

Postby Ralph Mackintosh » June 19th, 2003, 8:58 am

I'd like a copy of the Tarbell Scrapbook

Ralph Mackintosh

Ralph Mackintosh

Postby Ralph Mackintosh » June 19th, 2003, 9:00 am

Oops - forgot to add my email address

Ralph Mackintosh
bigmac5@earthlink.net

Mitch Solway

Postby Mitch Solway » June 19th, 2003, 9:02 am

Please put me down for:

14) Cardshark by Darwin Ortiz, Deluxe Edition, leather bound in a slipcase, NOT numbered

..looks like they are all spoken for but if any of the requests fall through (or another pops up) I am here for you!

Thanks,

Mitch
msagent86@yahoo.com

David Penn

Postby David Penn » June 19th, 2003, 10:31 am

I'd like a copy of the Gene Maze Card Book. Thanks!!

Jeremy Greystoke

Postby Jeremy Greystoke » June 19th, 2003, 10:51 am

Hi! Put me down for a copy of Arcade Dreams....and let me also put dibs on a copy of From Witchcraft to Card Tricks if someone drops out, or if there's another stack in a box yet to be opened. My email is ekowalsk@radford.edu.

Many thanks!

Jeremy

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » June 19th, 2003, 1:45 pm

Richard,

To clarify my previous post, I'd like the un-numbered Cardshark.

Thanks

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » June 19th, 2003, 2:43 pm

Damn, I should have checked in this morning.

"Witchcraft to Card Tricks" if an extra copy happens to have fallen through the cracks.

Erik Hemming

Postby Erik Hemming » June 19th, 2003, 3:02 pm

Richard-

I feel a little dumb asking the question, but, how would you like us to pay? Credit card, I know,but....

Call Genii? Wait for an invoice from you? Paypal?

Or should I just hold my horses until you've posted all you're going to post, settle up in one swell foop, and be over-awed by how much I've blown my monthly magic budget? :eek:

In any case, thanks for offering these. I'm already delighted.

(A little anxious, but delighted....)

Gordo

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 19th, 2003, 3:09 pm

I think everything else will be listed in the next day or so, so let's wait. I'd like to have to bill each person only once.

mathieu

Postby mathieu » June 19th, 2003, 3:22 pm

Hi Richard,
I would like to purchase the Gene Maze Card Book.
Berquet@free.fr

mark

Postby mark » June 19th, 2003, 4:09 pm

Hello Richard,
I would like one of the Strong Magic books, as early a print as possible, but it makes little difference, I've wanted this one for a long time. Oh - and thanks!

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » June 19th, 2003, 4:19 pm

I am checking the board like every five minutes here , I don't want to miss anything. There has got to be a better method to do this. I have to work at the clubs tonight and I am affraid I am going to miss more great coin stuff.The possiblity of one card book I have been searching for forever. Dot't tell anyone I am actually looking for a card thing lol :D

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2003, 4:49 pm

Hi Richard,

I would like one copy of Strong Magic please.

Thanks.

Don

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”