ARRCO TAHOE

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

ARRCO TAHOE

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2005, 7:16 am

HOw much are this cards worth and how do they handle like?

Anthony Blake

Re: ARRCO TAHOE

Postby Anthony Blake » August 19th, 2005, 8:01 am

Senghoe...

Back in the late 80's when I heard that ARRCO was going out of business I bought all the remaining stock of Tahoe's that Tannen's had... I got a case of blue backs and half a case of reds... plus all the Tahoe gaff/fako packs they had in both colors... I was a big card flinger back then...

Today I still have about half a case of blue's and around 12 decks of the reds and some 8 or 9 decks of the fako's... I've been offered as much as $75-$90 a pack for the ones I have... have never sold a single pack...

Tahoe's were a wonderful card... great stock, beautiful pliability and they lasted a long, long time (I have one deck that I've been using for some 8 years on or off... stays clean, still fans beautifully)...

They came absolutely flat from the pack, no bow to them -- all wrapped up in foil... whenever they got a bit of a bow I didn't want I simply put them in the fridge for a day and they'd flatten out again (a Porper card press/clip also helped keep them straight)... they were very slick and slippery when new, but after a little work-in they were wonderful to use...

Tahoe's and Jerry's Nuggets (of which I luckily have some 25 new packs or so left) were my favorite cards back then...

Hope this helps...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
The Thoughtreader

PS: Although I now ply in the "mental arts" I still have a love for cardwork and go back to my roots now and again for pleasure and fun...

Bob Plaut

Postby Bob Plaut » August 19th, 2005, 9:30 am

Wow. This thread brings back some memories. I also used Tahoes exclusively back in the 80s and recently found 12 unopened decks in my basement. Anthony is right on. The card stock was solid, they rarely bowed, and were smooth as silk when spreading. It would be great if some company invested in bringing them back.
b

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » August 19th, 2005, 10:41 am

Great cards indeed! I thought that the US Playing Card Co bought them out to eliminate competition. Was I dreaming this up?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 19th, 2005, 2:01 pm

I used to use Tahoes all the time--great cards. Still have lots of them in the basement!
You can see them in action on my DVD "On the Pass."

Bill, US Playing Card bought Arrco to obtain their custom-playing card business (that's what I heard).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 19th, 2005, 2:59 pm

I dont know if Richard will remember this, but the first time we met was at a semiprivate workshop that was part of the New York Magic Symposium in San Francisco that he gave. I said something about Bicycles being great cards (in those days they still were pretty good). Richard took his Tahoes, spread them out on the floor, walked on them, saying, Would you do this to your Bicycles? He scooped them up, handed to me and said to make a fan. It was perfect. I bought several dozen decks after that. They are all gone now! They were wonderful cards.

Richard, what are the cards you are using now? They have that same buttery feel that the Tahoes used to have.

Dustin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 19th, 2005, 4:06 pm

The cards I use were a custom job for a guy in Japan run in 1988 at the Windsor Ontario plant.

Dustin, no, I don't remember walking on my cards--I must've been crazy.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2005, 6:21 pm

Woah, guys

they sound real great now.

Im get a few from a friend if nothing goes wrong, and if some of you guys would sell me a few i won't mind ;)

AlrighT! MOre replys would be interesting!

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2005, 8:40 am

Hey,

I got mine , and if i put it in the fridge, i put it in with jsut hte box, or with a ziplock? Wont it makes it UNFANNABLE?

Mine dont fan out of the box, do we have to break them in? :p

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2005, 10:35 am

The Magic Apple sells AArco Regualation Playing cards. THe are poker sized and I get them right from the USPCC.
I am sold out right now, but sometime this week another dozen will be in. I know a lot of card handlers and mechanics use them...

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2005, 1:42 pm

Originally posted by TheMagicApple:
The Magic Apple sells AArco Regualation Playing cards. THe are poker sized and I get them right from the USPCC.
I am sold out right now, but sometime this week another dozen will be in. I know a lot of card handlers and mechanics use them...
Fine, but those cards are nothing special, and are NOT the Arrco Tahoes that this thread is about...

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”